Update behavior
Posted by: ance
Date: April 16, 2009 10:25AM

Hello!

First question:

I'm also using Firefox and I like this "automatic update" feature when you start Firefox. Does K-Meleon have something similar? smiling smiley

Second question:

I heard that Firefox security updates are faster available than security updates in K-Meleon, is that right? sad smiley

Regards

Re: Update behavior
Posted by: ndebord
Date: April 16, 2009 01:15PM

ance
Hello!

First question:

I'm also using Firefox and I like this "automatic update" feature when you start Firefox. Does K-Meleon have something similar? smiling smiley

Second question:

I heard that Firefox security updates are faster available than security updates in K-Meleon, is that right? sad smiley

Regards

K-Meleon (KM) is based upon Seamonkey (SM), not FireFox (FF). Whenever SM releases an update the developers here produce one for KM. Usually within a few days.

N

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2009 01:19PM by ndebord.

Date: April 16, 2009 01:26PM

Thank you!

What about the update process: Automatic or do I have to deinstall/install the new version manual? :O

Regards

Posted by: desga2
Date: April 16, 2009 05:20PM

K-Meleon include a plugin named update.dll in K-Meleon\kplugins folder.
This plugin is an update checker. It check at start K-Meleon if a new K-Meleon version is released and ask you if you want download it.

You can enable/disable this plugin in Preferences (F2) -> K-Meleon Plugins.

Usually uninstall before version isn't needed. Installation of same trunk versions can be installed over previus version installed. This is in currently in 1.5.x versions.
Is recomemded create a new profile when you update to a new version. Some users noted a better performance when created a new profile with a new version.

Almost between releases you can found "UNOFFICIAL updates" in K-Meleon General forum.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2009 07:27PM by desga2.

Date: April 16, 2009 05:34PM

Great! smiling smiley

Date: April 19, 2009 05:28PM

ndebord
K-Meleon (KM) is based upon Seamonkey (SM), not FireFox (FF).

But they all use the "Gecko Rendering Engine", so a vulnerability in Firefox also means a vulnerability in K-Meleon?

Posted by: ndebord
Date: April 19, 2009 05:57PM

ance
ndebord
K-Meleon (KM) is based upon Seamonkey (SM), not FireFox (FF).

But they all use the "Gecko Rendering Engine", so a vulnerability in Firefox also means a vulnerability in K-Meleon?

Not exactly. There are different Gecko engines. Current KM is based on Gecko 1.8.1, as is SM 1.1.6 and Thunderbird. FF is based on Gecko 1.9. Soon enough KM will move to 1.9, but bug and security fixes are provided for the SeaMonkey Gecko engines and as long as they update theirs, we can update ours.

<confusing, I know...>

N

Date: April 19, 2009 06:49PM

Thank you, I can see clearly now smiling smiley

Posted by: kdad
Date: April 20, 2009 06:18PM

Kmeleon is so good that i tremble with fear when you talk about updates.

The only thing i am not in heaven is that i dont have a linux version.

Love you kmeleon peolple!
Just go to the beach and enjoy yourselves!

Cheers.

kdad

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.