General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
FF memory leak smiling smiley
Posted by: reeko124
Date: May 06, 2009 04:36AM

Read this article(I know its old but it was on their main page)

http://www.pcmech.com/article/firefox-3-hogs-memory-like-crazy/

There is no reason a browser should use 550mb of memory. Of course part of its the addons but I used FF with just ABP and the memory leak was bad to.
A lot of responses to that article was people complaining. Maybe because my desktop only has 10gb hard drive and 256mb ram(soon to be 384) but I like everything to be lean and mean. I got 4 tabs open with KM right now and am only using 21mb of mem. Of course I have javascript available only for certain pages(policy manager, thanks disrupted smiling smiley ) I just don't understand how they can put up with it.

Here is one guys comment:

I didn’t read every single comment, but I’m pretty sure I have everyone beat. With 4/5 tabs open and 7 add-ons, I hit 1.3Gb of usage on an XP Pro system with FF3.0.1, and 50% cpu utilization. I have 2Gb of memory and between FF and iTunes my computer was all but dead in the water. This only appears to happen after FF has been open for awhile, even if I am not actually using the computer. I do suspect it is an addon causing the issue and I will uninstall them one-by-one until I find the culprit. Also going to check out that Firefox Ultimate Optimizer that Brian mentioned. I still think FF is the greatest.

His computer nearly crashed and "THE GUY STILL LOVES IT" lol

Again maybe because I have limited hardware I try to run the lightest apps possible but all I have to say is this. I don't care if you have 2gb of memory you should never put up with something using that much. Another guy in comments found a solution "close it every 1.5 hours and never open more then 3 tabs." He can continue to work for his browser. I'll just continue to have K-Meleon work for me.

Sorry to vent guys. I only posted this here because only you guys understand where I am coming from. I just can't explain the benefits of KM when others won't listen sad smiley

Reeko

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FF memory leak smiling smiley
Posted by: foobarly
Date: May 06, 2009 08:54AM

Although I now generally run much starker hardware, I agree with everything you said.:mad:

My home rig right now is a 3GHz Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM, but I still run XP (side by side with the flavor of the moment Linux distro) and KM (one of Fred's builds) and if by any chance I detect some program misbehaving or hogging memory, I go to Process Explorer and kill it in a flash. My hardware, my rules...

That's the main reason why I never bought into Fireslut (to use Disrupted's derisive moniker): it might have been better than every MSIE, but if it runs slower and crashes your 'puter, you can hardly call it an improvement.

Posted by: BenoitRen
Date: May 09, 2009 06:44PM

A lot of work has been done on Firefox' memory leaks by version Firefox 2.0. From 2.0 to 3.0 they concentrated on memory fragmentation. I really doubt that at this point Firefox is really leaking a lot of memory.

No, I think the culprits are the usual ones: Java and (especially) Flash. Those aren't add-ons, but plug-ins.

No, I'm not a Firefox apologist. I run SeaMonkey. smiling smiley

Posted by: reeko124
Date: May 09, 2009 07:04PM

i know you do we talked about that at msfn lol

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.