General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Speed up cache loading: previous session
Posted by: MrWoo
Date: May 10, 2009 05:33AM

Hi. I have noticed that when I used Opera and had the option to open last session, it loaded the pages from cache and was very quick about it.

I notice in KM that when I open with previous session, it is much slower. I notice network activity when I open KM in this way.

I am wondering, is there a way to make KM do the same thing as Opera? Is it only a cache memory issue? Both have I believe 20mb reserved for cache. A side by side test, where cache is deleted on both, then same pages opened on both, seems consistent to show Opera is much faster in this respect.

Any tips or info appreciated.

MrWoo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speed up cache loading: previous session
Posted by: JamesD
Date: May 10, 2009 02:06PM

Look at EDIT - PREFERENCES - CACHE. Item at very botton of panel to cache from memory or to compare.

Date: May 10, 2009 04:52PM

Ah. The options are

whenever a page is loaded

when the cached page is out of date (was checked)

never - always load from cached

once per session

I toggled over to the never option. It does load faster, but still not as fast as Opera. There is still network activity, something is fetching current data, maybe ads or something? I will try to track down where the connections lead with a few pages and post back.

Thanks.

MrWoo.

Date: May 10, 2009 08:28PM

Yeah, using the never option speeds it up. but not the right option really. now I am using
'whenever a page is loaded'

I have never looked into optimizing cache at all. Is there any tweaks available or tips that might help other than playing with those 4 options in preferences?

MrWoo.

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 11, 2009 06:02AM

The same option does not exist - so it cannot be speeded up like Opera.

The engine should offer: load from cache end then compare. But it does not.

K-Meleon project does not write the engine. It creates the Windows native code bridge to Mozilla engine.

Date: May 11, 2009 08:10AM

Thank you for answering that guenter.

So there is no optimization for cache other than size allotted or the 4 options in the preferences?

MrWoo.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.