Sudden Appearance New ToolBar with "REMOTE"?
Posted by: Just Me
Date: May 31, 2009 07:33PM

Hi folks,
After using K-Meleon successfully (and joyfully) for years, something weird has begun. It's so weird & happens so fast, it's hard to describe, but will try to do so:
1. On first opening K-Meleon, I see on the toolbar that COOKIES & JAVASCRIPT are sometimes ON (GREEN) momentarily, then they suddenly go into OFF mode (RED). The default settings on my setup are always OFF.

2. In past week or so, upon first opening K-Meleon, have seen (at least twice now) the following: A NEW TOOLBAR underneath the other toolbars flashes onscreen, and it happens so fast, but then disappears, that I can barely see the words on the Toolbar BUTTONS before the whole thing disappears. I noted today that one word said REMOTE.

Anybody have a clue WHAT is going on? My defaults are to block all the "risky" elements until I need them (like JS, Cookies, Pop-ups, etc.) My Proxy is set for DIRECT CONNECTION.

Is there some way that a "MALWARE" can attach itself to K-M as a TOOLBAR and do mischief? Does anyone recognize which toolbar would contain the word REMOTE on one of its buttons? The toolbar is fairly "fat" (compared to the built-in K-M toolbars) and has the same color scheme as my K-M setup, and it had about 4 or 5 buttons across it; think the final button was the one that said REMOTE. (The strange toolbar takes up about 1/3 to 1/2 of the screenwidth at the bottom of the regular toolbars.)

Hope somebody can enlighten as to what is causing these MOMENTARY FLASHES OF SETTINGS and SUDDEN APPEARANCE OF A NEW TOOLBAR, and what to do about it.

Till now, have had zero problems with K-M and love it! Thanks in advance.

Re: Sudden Appearance New ToolBar with "REMOTE"?
Posted by: desga2
Date: May 31, 2009 07:42PM

What K-Meleon version are you using?
Do you have installed some Extension like NoScript or Adblockplus?

This seems some type of malware or adware toolbar but this not work in K-Meleon.
Are you tried to created a new K-Meleon profile?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: May 31, 2009 07:58PM

Version 1.1.2 (too lazy & no time to update, as we're happy with this verison).

No known script/extension installations that would account for this sudden new toolbar.

How do we update or edit the Profile?

Thanks for any advice.

Date: June 01, 2009 07:05PM

OK, today have more info on this "weird thing" of an unknown TOOLBAR suddenly appearing in K-M.
It seems like it is appearing on the FIRST RUN of the day of K-M. Today upon starting computer & opening K-M,
we watched carefully (because the action is very swift) and were able to get some of the labels on the buttons. Their labels were: PROTOCOL, LOCAL, REMOTE ADDRESS. (There may be another button but it closes so fast we can't see all the words.)

Now the interesting thing is: We often run TCPVIEW while online, and it has almost the same words for each column of its functions:
PROCESS, PROTOCOL, LOCAL, REMOTE ADDRESS.

The TOOLBAR disappears within a second or two, so it's very hard to decipher what's happening.

Does this sound like a corruption between the two programs (K-M and TCPVIEW) or some kind of overlapping of the two programs involving the video? In fact, in repeatedly trying to make this weird TOOLBAR appear, we notice that there is an area (about the width of the window opening) beneath the regular Toolbar in K-M that looks like the DESKTOP COLORS with some of the words from Desktop items--but again, it is TOO FAST to catch specific content.

Mystifying!

Thanks for any ideas!

Date: June 01, 2009 07:36PM

UPDATE:

While trying to access a webpage via K-Meleon, our antivirus program found a Heuristic-HTML-Malware-suspicious code & quarantined it. It was in the K-Meleon\Profiles\default\Cache directory.

WHAT are the files that are sitting in K-M Cache directory with a lot of letters & numbers as their file names? When you open them, it looks like a bunch of gobbledegook.

Can we just DELETE all those files with the letter-number filenames?
And why doesn't K-M delete them when we CLEAR THE CACHE?
Are they needed or just junk that K-M leaves behind that's safe to delete?

Don't know if this was a False Positive or if this could have something to do with the weird TOOLBAR stuff described in above posts.

???

Posted by: desga2
Date: June 02, 2009 06:34AM

Yes, this can be a malware in cache, clear cache must work.
Tools -> Privacy -> Clear Data -> Clear Cache.
If this not worked try to delete it manually from windows explorer.

Can you post a TCPVIEW running capture?

Are you using some proxy configuration to connect with K-Meleon?

K-Meleon in Spanish

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.