General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Plugins (MonkeeSage please read)
Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: April 23, 2003 02:25AM

asmpgmr:

Done. Now bookmarks.dll points to the 'beta' build and the old bookmarks.dll is only available by request (to save web space). I'm adding a folder icon instead of the star in a few minutes as well.

jsnj:

Good point, sounds like a bug. Probably the IDCANCEL and IDOK cases should clear the typeahead search buffer. I'll check into that in a little while.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 23, 2003 02:27AM

jsnj:

Ulf already fixed it in CVS. smiling smiley I'm building the latest updates right now.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 23, 2003 02:43AM

My build of bookmarks.dll is now updated to reflect current CVS.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 23, 2003 02:55AM

And hotlist.dll, too.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: asmpgmr
Date: April 23, 2003 03:14AM

MonkeeSage,

I just downloaded bookmarks.dll and the search issue is still there and it still has the star icon. Also it grew from 62464 bytes to 88064 bytes, 40% increase in size.

Date: April 23, 2003 04:11AM

asmpgmr:

This code was supposed to fix the search issue:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/kmeleon/k-meleon/ns_bookmarks/ns_bookmarks_edit.cpp.diff?r1=1.18&r2=1.19&sortby=date

I added updated my code to include that in the last build....so I guess it really didn't fix it? Mabye doing it on OK or CANCEL will work? I'll try that too.

About the size increase, I was about to post another thread about that; I am trying out the Intel C++ Compiler (IA-32 version) snap-in for VC++, and the optimization code that it generates is bigger than the VC++ code (about. 50k size difference at most (on k-meleon.exe), usually about 20K for eveything else). The trade-off is that anyone using a pentium class or higher processer should experience speed improvements because of the IA-32 optimizations, i.e., the enhanced MMX / SSE instructions...for everyone else it won't make much difference. If I don't see any noticible speed enhancments in the next few days, I'll probably go back to the standard VC++ compiler. I'm also hoping the ICC will get rid of the issue that some users had (like jsnj), where my builds crashed on loading.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 23, 2003 04:19AM

asmpgmr:

Doh! My bad....I guess I didn't press save or something, I just double checked the code and I didn't have those lines! I added them and the bug is fixed as the CVS comments indicate. Sorry about that. Icon is updated now also.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: jsnj
Date: April 23, 2003 05:07AM

Just tried it. Works well. Search is fixed. Also like the fact that the window automatically minimizes when selecting a bookmark to view in the browser. I haven't noticed a speed difference because I'm on Celeron 433.

Date: April 23, 2003 05:31AM

jsnj:

Right on. Ulf did a good job on the modeless version. smiling smiley

BTW, you and asmpgmr both, the icon is updated in the build I just now uped. I ripped the 'folder edit' icon out of shell32.dll and used that. Let me know which of the icons you like best so far.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 23, 2003 05:35AM

jsnj:

Give the favorites plugin another try, I used the updated code but reverted to my old settings for developer studio project file, perhaps that combined with the newer compiler will eliminate the slow-down problem on loading with alot of favorites?

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 23, 2003 06:04AM

Unfortunately, the new favorites plugin wasn't any faster in loading. It's not like a minor diff either. We're talkin 3 secs with the one from sp1 and 10 secs for the new ones, on my PC anyway.

The last icon is the least appealing. The blue and green in it make it look like it's not appearing properly, like some sorta error. Also, it increases its size another 7kb. I personally like the star of the 3 you've shown, but I know asmpgmr hates it. Use whatever is the smallest I guess. Doesn't matter much to me.

Date: April 23, 2003 06:55AM

Any news on how bookmark groups are supported? Right now they are recognized as folders containg links, just like any other folder, but there's no way I can see to have them all open at once.

Date: April 23, 2003 07:03AM

jsnj:

AFAIK, Ulf only added "support" in so far the plugin preserves them in the bookmarks.html file instead of deleting them as the old one did, I could be mistaken though. At some point I can look into adding support, where if any folder or file in a group is clicked the whole group will load (something like that?), or mabye you can get it in as one last RFE for Ulf.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 23, 2003 07:44AM

Just checked BTS and it's been filed and he recently wrote a comment to it. Is the layers.dll on your page updated with the new macro commands he refers to below?

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/bugs/viewbug.php?bugid=332

Date: April 23, 2003 08:43AM

jsnj:

It has the latter two, but not the former, he must have just added them, I'll go through and rebuild all the new CVS commits in a minute or so. I'll post when newer builds are up.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 23, 2003 09:03AM

jsnj:

NM, I guess they were already there, as this currently works:

lt{
$n = pluginmsgex(layers,"NumberOfLayersInWindow","null",INT);
alert($n);
}

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 23, 2003 02:07PM

MonkeeSage,

Everything works in the new bookmarks plugins but the Intel complier sucks, the relative code size increase of 40% is too much. I would hate to see what it did to a typical program with a size in megabytes not kilobytes. As for MMX/SSE/SSE2 optimizations, as an assembly language I can tell you that stuff makes very little difference to most programs, it helps much more for graphics and to some degree audio (3D games can really benefit). Plus I'm sure the M$ compiler makes use of undocumented stuff in windows that other compilers don't since that's what M$ typically does to stomp their competition.

As for the icon, I think a plain yellow folder would look best.

As for the crash bug on loading, could this be bug 412 ? I can reproduce that at will but it has nothing to do with your builds.

Date: April 23, 2003 04:08PM

All plugins and binaries rebuilt with native MSCV++ compiler--using better opti flags also, so that the size is as it was before or even a little smaller, and with absolutely no noticable speed decrease. I don't see what all the hype is about the ICC is now having used it. I guess it is as you say, it probably works well with multimedia but doesn't do much except bloat otherwise, hehe.

Standard folder icon for bookmarks now.

Also, jsnj, I just got finished adding groupmark support. Right click and select the "Set Folder As Groupmark" menu item. This can be set for as many folders as you want. To unset it select the same folder and click the same menu item, and now its back to a normal folder. I decided to handle groupmarks (at least for the ime being), by itterating the NavigateTo for each child item (including lastChild), so all the bookmarks in a folder with the groupmark attribute will be opened when you right clik on the folder and choose to open in new or background window.

Let me know how it works / if you find any bugs with it.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 23, 2003 04:24PM

Ps. The standard folder icon is around 30K; the MSVC++ bookmarks.dll build without the icon is 57K.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 23, 2003 04:24PM

MonkeeSage,

I just downloaded bookmarks.dll and it was the exact same ICC .dll as before.

Date: April 23, 2003 04:27PM

asmpgmr:

Try it again, mabye my FTP hadn't updated yet or something. It has a temporary dir that I upload to (for extra security), then it transfers them to the root of my account about a minute after log out...may be a bit slow today.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 23, 2003 04:38PM

MonkeeSage,

This time I got an even big .dll (98304 bytes). I'm guessing that's not right, that's a 50% overall increase in size. I redownloaded the last beta .dll and it's only 62464 bytes.

Date: April 23, 2003 04:41PM

I'm getting the same 95kb one with multi-colored folder and no added groupmark functionality

Date: April 23, 2003 05:35PM

aspgmr:

The current bookmarks.dll is 98,304 bytes. The current size is because the folder icon is 30k and plus about 7-8K for the compiled code additions for groupmarks.

jsnj:

When you right click on a folder don't you see a new open to Set As Groupmark? The .dll on the site is current, so I don't know what the deal is...is this the file you are downloading:

http://monkeesage.d2g.com/bookmarks.dll

?

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 23, 2003 05:37PM

...new open to...

...new option to...

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 23, 2003 06:10PM

MonkeeSage,

Groupmarks works just as you designed I believe. I didn't notice any bugs when experimenting with it. Placing a separator in the gruopmark folder didn't mess it up either. It's a good start. Ideally I think people would want to be able to hit enter on the groupmark within the edit bookmark window or click on it in the drop down menu bookmark list and have them open up the way it is in other browsers. But it works well so far. This current icon is the best of the bunch I think. One thing I noticed is that the edit window wants to open starting from a fixed height position.....below the toolbar or title bar, even when resized to cover the toolbar. The previous versions(including your last few) let you cover the toolbar.

Date: April 23, 2003 06:28PM

MonkeeSage,

30k for an icon ?!? That ain't good, could you put back the original windows icon in that case ?

Date: April 23, 2003 07:17PM

Didn't realize it was that big. I agree, chuck it.

Date: April 23, 2003 07:29PM

OK, got the icon down to 10k, the total size for the dll is now 73K

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 23, 2003 07:39PM

jsnj:

Thanks for the feedback on the groupmarks. Let me know if you think of any other improvements or come across any other bugs, too, if you please. smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.