General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
off topictongue sticking out smileyroxy's
Posted by: Paul
Date: June 08, 2009 03:02PM

I've just downloaded this.....http://www.proxychecker.net/

It seems to work really well, it's a proxy finder and checker.

Are such (unknown) proxy's dangerous or are they safe to use. Is there a way to find 'safe' proxy's?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: off topictongue sticking out smileyroxy's
Posted by: reeko124
Date: June 08, 2009 03:57PM

Oh let me guess you just came up with the proxy topic out of the blue huh? grinning smiley I might have to check that out. I still want to keep the multiproxy program I have for just incase moments. I just load the list into it and check them there.

Reeko

Date: June 08, 2009 04:20PM

Well no, it was inspired by the other post I just didn't want to hi jack it :cool:

Just I did a bit of research into theses proxy's and there are suggestions that they can be used to hack your computer. That said I don't use computers for any on line banking, shopping etc, so I guess apart from seeing the sites I visit (including the adult ones tongue sticking out smiley ) I've nothing to hide.

Date: June 08, 2009 04:24PM

What I said was all a joke. I haven't read that they can be used to hack your computer. Hey if anyone needs to block a bunch of trackers and such I configured a bunch to be put in your hosts file. Just let me know and I will add them

Reeko

Date: June 08, 2009 04:34PM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the difference between proxy's and proxy sites, but this is what I mean.

Some Of the Dangers
There are many dangers that come along with using open proxy servers. This is why many online Internet services and companies have started checking or 'probing' your connection when you join their service. The probing that is done is simple and harmless, it simply checks to see if your connection has common proxy ports open. If the ports are found, the service will make sure that it is a closed proxy system by attempting to make a connection to it. If the connection is made, it will check to see if it requires a password to use it. If the proxy is found to be open it will raise a red flag and sometimes deny you from using or purchasing their services.

These service checks or probes are harmless. They simply make sure that the user is not on an open proxy. If the proxy is open, they have no way of making sure that you are who you claim to be. There are far to many hackers using these open servers to commit credit card fraud, attack other online users, hack into computers or any one of hundreds of other illegal activities. If you are using an open proxy, someone can be watching your every move! To date, there are COUNTLESS honeypots and hackerpots out on the net. While thinking that you have made yourself more secure, you have actually opened yourself up for attack. When using an open proxy server, your PC is making a direct connection to another computer. You also do not know who is in control of this computer. Your passwords can be sniffed and your firewall tunneled. Your privacy can also be invaded as this person reads your email, snags your ICQ, IRC, AIM, MSN messages or any other unencrypted data that is sent through one of these obvious honey or hackerpots.

Date: June 08, 2009 04:37PM

Just to add the server of this site (K-Meleon) itself refused to connect me with this address.

Date: June 08, 2009 04:51PM

thats interesting paul. It really is. All I know is that the ones I am using are from a site that runs the servers just for the purpose of anonimity.

Date: June 08, 2009 06:14PM

Seems these proxy servers can be dangerous, unless you are sure you what you are using/doing.

http://whatismyipaddress.com/staticpages/index.php/anonymous-proxy-risks

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.