General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon Portable
Posted by: Iamklootfan
Date: June 09, 2009 09:00PM

Hi Everyone,

I've had a go at making a portable version of 1.5.3 using the instructions provided here KM Portable advice. I just have a few questions that I was hoping somebody might be able to answer for me please. Apologies if they are a bit basic, but I'm new to all this.

In the folder created on my USB stick there are two exe files: K-meleon.exe & K-meleonW9.exe.

I used K-meleon.exe to initially run the programme to see if it was working (which it did), but thought I'd better just check whether this was the correct one to use?

The instructions also suggested that setdefault.exe & loader.exe could be deleted as neither probably would be needed on a portable version. Is that correct?

Also, I was wondering what if any traces running KM in this way will leave on a host machine?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon Portable
Posted by: reeko124
Date: June 09, 2009 09:18PM

use k-meleon.exe

The only trace would be if you downloaded something to the hard drive. Also if someone monitors their computer connections. If you don't use multiple profiles it is portable the second you install it grinning smiley.

Reeko

Posted by: Paul
Date: June 09, 2009 09:37PM

Reeko I may have misunderstood this guys question but registry entries are left by KM portable. Some portable browsers are complete stealth with no registry entries left on the host machine.

I'm going mad:O see repeat below...............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2009 10:04PM by Paul.

Posted by: Paul
Date: June 09, 2009 09:43PM

Iamklootfan I don't know if this will help.

UltraSurf is a very simple application, a single tiny 281Kb download containing just one executable, u.exe. When running, this little program uses just 7.5Mb of memory and performs the same role of proxy server as other applications, redirecting all browser requests via the UltraSurf proxy servers.

http://ultrareach.com/

In my experience this application leaves no evidence of your surfing on the host computer. smiling smiley

Whoops I made a previous post and forgot to post it!
K-Meleon portable does leave traces in the registry and is therefore not completely stealth, there are portable browsers that are completely stealth but I can't think which ones are at the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2009 09:46PM by Paul.

Date: June 09, 2009 10:14PM

Thanks for the replies

I was really just asking out of interest the extent to which it leaves "stuff" on the host machine including registry entries. In my experience of using portable opera (opera UScool smiley it leaves a cache folder in the temp sub-folder of the local settings folder, although it just seems to have a shortcut in it.

Just to see, I have done a search on my desktop and there was an empty K-Meleon folder in the hard drive folder:\documents & settings\<myusername>\Application data.

It's not a big thing, just wanted to know what I might leave behind if i used on someone else's computer

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 10, 2009 03:57AM

AFAIK K-Meleon does not leave traces. If conditions are met.

Required for this. You must not run setdefault.exe on the host machine.
It is not obvious. The installer/setdefault can set K-Meleon as a default protocol handler of the machine where it is used. And it can register K-Meleon as a Mozilla product that gives K-Meleon the use of Netscape plugins present on the host machine. If used, these two actions must write and will write in the host machine's registry.

No other writing om HDD known to me.
alain who maintains the installer and setdefault also maintained the portable.
But I have never bothered to check.
So You should check the registry writing Yourself.

AND You must an use xpcom.dll that has been cleared of Mozilla or K-Meleon string or compiled with an empty appdir string (ac_add_options --with-user-appdir="" in .mozconfig).

And You must deactivate multi-user support. Then You have a profile.ini like

[profile]
path=profiles
isrelatife=1

An empty profile.ini file in K-Meleon install directory would also do.
This sets that all the Profiles are inside K-Meleon install folder, which can be on USB and is portable. K-Meleon cache is not in temp but in used Profile.

You must do nothing that needs to write on the host machine.
Downloads, save page ... must not be on HDD but directed to USB. Obviously.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2009 08:05AM by guenter.

Posted by: desga2
Date: June 10, 2009 06:31AM

Iamklootfan
In the folder created on my USB stick there are two exe files: K-meleon.exe & K-meleonW9.exe.

I used K-meleon.exe to initially run the programme to see if it was working (which it did), but thought I'd better just check whether this was the correct one to use?

The instructions also suggested that setdefault.exe & loader.exe could be deleted as neither probably would be needed on a portable version. Is that correct?

k-meleon.exe is for run in WinNT/2000/Vista/7,
k-meleonW9.exe is for run in Win9x/ME.

setdefault.exe is for set K-Meleon as default browser in your system. (for install and associate files in registry)
loader.exe is for load K-Meleon.exe file in memory at start Windows to improve K-Meleon start speed. (Create a K-Meleon.exe shortcut in Start -> Programs -> Start)

Both files can be deleted in portable versions.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: June 10, 2009 02:05PM

Thanks for all the info.

What do you think is the most likely cause of the creation of the K-Meleon folder in the hard drive folder:\documents & settings\<myusername>\Application data?

I created an empty profile.ini and put in the the directory with the K-Meleon.exe. All I did was open notepad and saved the page as profile.ini, changing the file type box from text files to "all files". I assume that was correct?

Cheers

Posted by: desga2
Date: June 10, 2009 03:44PM

As guenter said:
guenter
AND You must an use xpcom.dll that has been cleared of Mozilla or K-Meleon string or compiled with an empty appdir string (ac_add_options --with-user-appdir="" in .mozconfig).

This folder is generated by xpcom_core.dll when you build K-Meleon from sources with --with-user-appdir="K-Meleon" parameter. (default build and official)

You can read in tutorial how to patch this in xpcom_core.dll editing this file with an hexadecimal editor.
Or download xpcom_core.dll file already patched from tutorial. (I think that file patched is from K-Meleon 1.5.2)

It isn't recomemded mix different version of this files. If you are makeing 1.5.3 portable you must use 1.5.3 xpcom_core.dll file patched.
Use 1.5.2 xpcom_core.dll file patched in 1.5.3 can be unestable to the browser.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2009 03:48PM by desga2.

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 10, 2009 03:55PM

Iamklootfan
What do you think is the most likely cause of the creation of the K-Meleon folder in the hard drive folder:\documents & settings\<myusername>\Application data?

Empty profiles folder with name (mozilla or k-meleon) in %apdata% is created by any xpcom.dll that is not resource hacked in the way desga2 found a while ago.
How to remove is described in his how to update portable.

All other xpcom.dll automatically create a empty folder on every start (if none exists)- even if set to use its own install directory for Profiles.

guenter

AND You must use xpcom.dll that has been cleared of Mozilla or K-Meleon string or compiled with an empty appdir string (ac_add_options --with-user-appdir="" in .mozconfig).

The %appdir% info/string is probably needed for some other Gecko applications.
Several applications use the basic Gecko code.

K-Meleon does not need this. For Firefox... it is a feature for us it is a bug smiling smiley

p.s. --with-user-appdir="guenter" would create an appdir guenter grinning smiley
So that is my personal feature request tongue sticking out smiley

So it is core dll - I forgot it / that is why I cannot alter resource & must compile it

desga2 who always types faster than me gets special --with-user-appdir="desga2" compiled version.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2009 04:08PM by guenter.

Date: June 10, 2009 09:29PM

Cheers guys

Date: June 12, 2009 11:05AM

Or ..if you don`t like messing around with Hexeditors and stuff

here

You can download it from here..

I uploaded a copy for anyone who wants to have fun