General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Off Topic: Questions for Paul
Posted by: Paul
Date: June 21, 2009 10:53PM

Reeko,

Just to say I'm slowly getting there with all the very helpful tutorial this thread has created. Gonna take more than a w/end though to fine tune it!

Good fun though, I've learnt more through this and enjoying going back to correct the mistakes. Fantastic stuff. Thanks for your original post I would probably never have bothered otherwise. smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: reeko124
Date: June 21, 2009 11:41PM

Paul
Reeko,

Just to say I'm slowly getting there with all the very helpful tutorial this thread has created. Gonna take more than a w/end though to fine tune it!

Good fun though, I've learnt more through this and enjoying going back to correct the mistakes. Fantastic stuff. Thanks for your original post I would probably never have bothered otherwise. smiling smiley

No need to thank me. I might need to change the title of this thread. What do you think it should be? On to other questions related to it

How many hours you spend with it?
Does it run ok on 256mb
Doesn't it have a lot of stuff for not being a big distro?

Thats all I have for now grinning smiley

Reeko

Posted by: foobarly
Date: June 21, 2009 11:54PM

@reeko124

Sorry, didn't notice you question earlier, but I have a lot in my hands these days.

About the best learning distro, although SLAX is USB friendly and it feels really easy to start doing things with, it is based on Slackware, it is intended to be a LiveCD in the first place and it has a lot of non-conventional -- even in 'nix term -- options.

My advice, coming from a fellow noob, is that it would be best to go with Ubuntu (or some of the Ubuntu based derivatives like Dreamlinux, Mint, Kubuntu, Xubuntu or CrunchBang -- the later two are light weight options) as then you'd be learning into a distro with a rather large user base. There's even a Ubuntu version (whose name escapes me right now) which is made up to be run as a Windows app. Also available is Wubi that lets you setup Ubuntu from Windows.

Personally, I've also been very pleased with the experience I've had with ZenWalk...

--- sig ---

Date: June 22, 2009 12:01AM

Tried your module already, Fred, but didn't manage to make it work. Slax runs OK, I even got my laptop's proprietary drivers as a module, and they seem to be working, but when I go to switch users, the root shell is restarted. I tried the /bin/init 3 route, but for some reason my computer locked up before I could finish entering the root login password... I've exhausted my system tweaking allowance, I'll get back to this when I get more.

--- sig ---

Date: June 22, 2009 12:56AM

@foobarly
I understand what you are saying but my computer doesn't and likely paul's wouldn;t pass the bios cut off. I did get debris linux which is based on ubuntu to boot but it didn't load the gnome panel. So basically it was just a shell that you could do nothing with. I really would have liked it to work but it didn't work. I had ubuntu on my laptop and didn't see it as any easier then slax. I know that with slackware you have to search for dependencies on your own.

If you know of any distro that is based off of ubunut and under 300mb let me know.

Reeko

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2009 12:57AM by reeko124.

Date: June 22, 2009 02:08AM

@Reeko I did an 18hr marathon on saturday with it! It's running well on 256mbs (I think thats due to not needing active AV's of any type!).

And above all it's a great learning curve for a novice.

I mentioned it to a friend earlier today and unknown to me he's a big linux fan/user so he's gonna come to my place and tutor me!! Great stuff, again your post and pics DID give me the final push to try it, so, I will\do say thanks.grinning smiley

BTW: Other noobs (like me) who are thinking of trying linux for the first time may find this link helpful smiling smiley

http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2009 02:28AM by Paul.

Date: June 22, 2009 03:18AM

Paul
@Reeko I did an 18hr marathon on saturday with it! It's running well on 256mbs (I think thats due to not needing active AV's of any type!).

And above all it's a great learning curve for a novice.

I mentioned it to a friend earlier today and unknown to me he's a big linux fan/user so he's gonna come to my place and tutor me!! Great stuff, again your post and pics DID give me the final push to try it, so, I will\do say thanks.grinning smiley

BTW: Other noobs (like me) who are thinking of trying linux for the first time may find this link helpful smiling smiley

http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

It is addicting thats for sure. I took that test and everyone that was suggested to me would never work on this computer lol.

One thing I noticed is that all my ram is used at startup. When I run programs no ram is being eaten. It seems like all the ram is being used because it loads all the programs at startup? I go into console and type free and there is no difference in ram or cache size no matter what I have running. Its not sluggish so I am not worried. BTW thats without a swap file also

Reeko

Posted by: Fred
Date: June 22, 2009 02:52PM

To use Slax as a Live Linux from CD or USB stick,
I think the minimal amount of ram should be 500 Mb
or better even 1 Gb.
An installed Slax would probably work with less ram.

@ foobarly

The command

/sbin/init 3

should usually work.It is /sbin, not /bin , and don't
forget the space between init and 3 .
Or else try the key combination

Ctrl+Alt+Backspace

to get to the console screen.
If the screen shows a number of error messages,
wait a moment and press Enter, to go to the login prompt.
Write then your user name , press Enter,and your user password,
and press Enter. Then write
startx
for KDE or
startx /usr/bin/lxpanel
for LXpanel, if installed.
There is also a Fluxbox in Slax
start it with
startfluxbox
But I think the menu may not be preconfigured.

Fred

Date: June 22, 2009 06:08PM

just installed the opera 10 module. Man is it fast on the javascript heavy pages.

Reeko

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2009 06:08PM by reeko124.

Date: June 23, 2009 10:30AM

reeko124
@foobarly
I understand what you are saying but my computer doesn't and likely paul's wouldn;t pass the bios cut off. I did get debris linux which is based on ubuntu to boot but it didn't load the gnome panel. So basically it was just a shell that you could do nothing with. I really would have liked it to work but it didn't work. I had ubuntu on my laptop and didn't see it as any easier then slax. I know that with slackware you have to search for dependencies on your own.

If you know of any distro that is based off of ubunut and under 300mb let me know.

Reeko

These days, I'm using Crunchbang 8.10.02 (based upon Ubuntu 8.10 'Intrepid', already superseded by 9.04 'Jaunty') in my laptop, dual booted with XP, installed from the livecd -- sadly, that's a 688MB download.

But, bear in mind that this is a distro geared toward netbooks like the eeePC and the Aspire One, so it's really frugal with resources. Per Crunchbang forum instructions, if you have a decent Internet connection, you can get a fully updated 9.04 install based on the Ubuntu minimal ISO that is a mere 10MB download... and can even be installed to USB (although I haven't tried that). The basic recipe is as follows.

WARNING: If you'd be installing this to hard disk in a dual boot scenario, be EXTRA CAREFUL with the PARTITION MANAGER, cause YOU MAY WIPE YOUR DISK, causing your previous OS to be UNBOOTABLE -- I kid you not, the interwebz are rife with such stories. RTFM or ask for advice at the proper places...

You get the mini ISO from here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

After installing, just login and follow these steps:

1. Download the CrunchBang build script with the following command:

wget http*://crunchbanglinux.org/build-scripts/crunchbang-installer-9.04.01.sh
2. Make the script executable with the following command:

chmod +x crunchbang-installer-9.04.01.sh

3. Run the script as root with the following command:

sudo ./crunchbang-installer-9.04.01.sh

4. Follow the on-screen instructions and reboot when finished.
_

Remove '*' from wget URL above. Quoted from:
http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/post/20416/#p20416
Screenshots:
http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/screenshots
PS: I still keep SLAX in my USB pendrive for troubleshooting and portability; I did try the Opera 10 Beta module and was equally impressed with the speed...

--- sig ---

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2009 10:51AM by foobarly.

Date: June 23, 2009 04:49PM

Hey paul couple things you might be interested in for slax

http://www.slax.org/modules.php?action=detail&id=2360 Those are addons to a program called ark that is already in slax. These make it capable to unrar files by right clicking on the file you want to unrar much like in windows. Otherwise you'd have to do it from terminal. I use this when I am in a hurry. If I am not then I try to use terminal just to learn.

To speed up booting you might want to turn off your floppy drive. I did and it cut a minute off of the boot time. Just have to go into your bios to do that.

Reeko

Date: June 23, 2009 09:36PM

Thanks for the tip reeko, will give that a try this weekend. I'm going to reformat though there seems to be some registry problems on my setup now. I'm having a lot of start problems.

That's a drawback of using p2p software you can't always be sure of exactly what is in the exe.files!

Re: SLAX & other 'nixes... :cool:
Date: June 24, 2009 10:50AM

Rebuild your SLAX...

Simply head to Slax Build and add your desired modules. The modules are available on a separate section, organized into categories and fully searchable. After you have completed adding the modules, return back to the Build page to review your distro and the size. If you’re missing any dependencies, you will be alerted and asked to include them. Finally click on the download link to get the ISO.
http://www.instantfundas.com/2009/06/customize-your-linux-distro-before.html

http://www.slax.org/build.php

--- sig ---

Date: June 26, 2009 08:28PM

@paul

Thru control center you can turn off tooltips and animations in Appearance & Themes and also Desktop. I saved about 70mb of ram. I learned that from doing it in windows but never had those results. I aked a few places and people said that was possible. Who'da thunk it lol

Reeko

Date: June 27, 2009 10:49PM

Found ittongue sticking out smiley I didn't realise the thread title had changed ( I know you mentioned you probably would!).

As much as I hate having to do it I'm gonna have to reformat the HD. I can't figure out who it is but, some site or other is putting some well hidden trojans on my comp. I've eliminated the obvious (porm grinning smiley) by deleting them. I spend hour's going through the reg eliminating them 'cause they slip past the AV and malwarebytes. Maybe I need to put a proper firewall on.

Anyway thanks for all your advice and tips I will with the help of those, and my mate get a linuox system on my pc. I can really see the attraction.

I had to call porm, porm because of censorship; On FB you can mention the word porm!!! tongue sticking out smiley (Only joking before the gang jump on me!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2009 10:51PM by Paul.

Date: June 27, 2009 11:13PM

I use online armor when I am on windows. I use it because Give Away of the Day gave away a 1 year sub to it(offer expired now). I am impressed by it. Nothing gets in unless I allow it in. I could make a mistake and let something in. Sorry that you have to reformat. BTW check out Wilders Security they know their stuff when it comes to spyware/firewall so check them out.

Besides a couple of instances I haven't been on windows for a week. Just having fun with slax. After doing like I said it runs like a dream.

Reeko

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2009 11:16PM by reeko124.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.