General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
SQLite seems to be a very bad idea
Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 28, 2009 08:10PM

The amount of posts seen (or ignored and locked when deemed too angry for discussion) about FireFox 3 are increasing and the common thread seems to be the decision of the FireFox developers to tie the future of Gecko into using SQLite for passwords, cookies, history, etc. Whether the platform be Windows, Mac or Linux, the irritation level is high and the response IMO has been to either ignore the complaints, remove them, ridicule them or just claim that SQLite is the greatest thing to reach the planet ever.

Rather than post copies of individual complaints from MozillaZine Forums or other websites, I would like to hear from others here about their feelings and thoughts on this important change in the future development of Gecko browsers.

N

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SQLite seems to be a very bad idea
Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 28, 2009 09:36PM

I wonder if the complaints are from people who would have to re-write their extentions or from users who have tested and have problems?

A lot of stuff we are used to is not going to work anymore when the change happens. I wonder if Cookie Monster will be ready with a version that works for both the old and the new way. I run some older versions of KM just for backwards testing.

I wonder how the query system will connect with our macro language or Windows Scripting host or JScript? I know that I will have to re-write my SearchH.kmm and SearchH.js for the new system. But then maybe the new version 1.6 will provide a dedicated search history without me having to do anything. Hope springs eternal.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: June 28, 2009 10:07PM

yes.. i;ve seen some ff extensions not being updated for sqlite and users keep commenting on updating to work with latest ff but it appears the developers aren't being able to adapt their extensions. it's a major change and those database reliant extensions will need to be rewritten almost from scratch to work.

Date: June 29, 2009 03:14AM

JamesD
I wonder if the complaints are from people who would have to re-write their extentions or from users who have tested and have problems?

A lot of stuff we are used to is not going to work anymore when the change happens. I wonder if Cookie Monster will be ready with a version that works for both the old and the new way. I run some older versions of KM just for backwards testing.

I wonder how the query system will connect with our macro language or Windows Scripting host or JScript? I know that I will have to re-write my SearchH.kmm and SearchH.js for the new system. But then maybe the new version 1.6 will provide a dedicated search history without me having to do anything. Hope springs eternal.

James,

Can't say whether it is end users or developers, but I would say probably a combination of both. The posts I've read include people I know who have been around Mozilla since Netscape days.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1321285

Edmeister is one whose opinion I value.

N

Date: June 29, 2009 03:15AM

disrupted,

With such a major change, a lot of extensions will have to be reworked or discarded, so it makes sense that you will hear the developers' pain. DOn't think that is all there is to it though.

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.