General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
What is Flag and what does it do.
Posted by: Donald
Date: July 02, 2009 09:05PM

Hello everybody, now the thing that I want to know about is called Flag, you can find it under Edit > Preference > Privacy & Security > General > Privacy Settings, when you get there you’ll find six privacy levels Low, Medium, High and then Custom, one of the four choices that you can make when accepting cookies is called Flag, the thing I want know about is what is Flag and the main thing is what does it do because I looked everywhere at the K-Meleon website and I couldn't find anything, and that’s it thanks for noticing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is Flag and what does it do.
Posted by: guenter
Date: July 03, 2009 09:03PM

I have not tried it. I will have to make a guess.

The German equivalent of Flag is Markieren = to mark.
In German this word (probably a loan word from a Romance language) is only used for "to mark" with no ambiguity (we have another word for Flag when we mean US flag (Flagge,Fahne).

IMHO it will be indicated with the cookies manager that the page did someting that is not normal. You could unpack the *.dtd and *.properties files or just activate it and see how it does mark.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2009 09:07PM by guenter.

Posted by: Paul
Date: July 03, 2009 09:33PM

I've never used it either, but in English I would expect the term 'Flag' to give a visual or audio warning.

Posted by: desga2
Date: July 03, 2009 09:41PM

Yes, I think that "Flag" is (or must be) a warning message/dialog about the cookie.
I think that we must replaced this term by "Warning".

Someone can try to verify it?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2009 09:44PM by desga2.

Posted by: Terry
Date: July 04, 2009 01:25AM

In Netscape a "flag" was the equivalent of "leashing" in IE6. Essentially, it deals with third party cookies on a webpage. Some of these may not be desirable while others are fine depending on the privacy policy for a webpage. In Netscape a little icon appeared in the right corner of the browser as a "flag" at which point you could choose to accept or not accept the cookie.

Posted by: kko
Date: July 04, 2009 12:37PM

Paul
I've never used it either, but in English I would expect the term 'Flag' to give a visual or audio warning.

Exactly. This option means that you should get a visual indication that a cookie has been set. However, this visual indication (status bar icon) has not been implemented yet in KM (except I've missed it).

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.