General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Scribble background in eBay pages
Posted by: xochimilco
Date: July 18, 2009 09:51AM

K-Meleon is really a nice, perhaps the better browser around, the only things that's annoying me is when I am on eBay website and trying to change pages there's not a blank background (or sometimes grey as with SeaMonkey) in-between but color lines across instead (looks like some scribble) ...It stays there for about 2/3 seconds until the coming page appears.
It doesn't happen with SeaMonkey or Firefox..maybe a bug... Any idea ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Scribble background in eBay pages
Posted by: JamesD
Date: July 18, 2009 10:43AM

I don't see any lines. When I move to next page, the screen goes white between the time the current page leaves and before the new page writes. I am using KM 1.5.3 updated to 1.8.1.22 engine. What version are you using?

Posted by: desga2
Date: July 18, 2009 11:02AM

It's very strange, seems a chrome corruption.
When you type about:blank in URL address bar you can see these "color lines across" that you said?
Can you post some screen capture?
What Windows version are you using?
Only happend to you in ebay website?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2009 11:06AM by desga2.

Date: July 18, 2009 01:02PM

The issue only happens when viewing eBay pages. I am using Windows 98SE/K-Meleon 1.5.3. Normal (white) background when typing about:blank in URL. Tried to change user agent to Firefox 2.0 but that "scribble" occurs everytime I am attempting to change pages in eBay (page 1 to page 2 and so on...)

Date: July 18, 2009 01:12PM

Work fine to me in KM 1.5.3 with Win2K.
Are you tried with a new profile?

Can you post some link as example? I tried in ebay.es and work fine.
Can you post some screen capture about the problem?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: disrupted
Date: July 18, 2009 06:42PM

i don't have that problem either, i just tested.. but i'd love to see those colour lines; they sound beautiful. please make a screen capture

Date: July 19, 2009 09:33AM

This forum don't allow me to mention the name of the website where screen captures pictures are logged in (!) so I cannot provide with a link.. Just can say that colored lines on a white background does appear when attempting to change a page or when trying to see an specific item's description in eBay and, sometimes, BEHIND the currently displayed page.sad smiley

Date: July 20, 2009 09:07AM

disrupted
i don't have that problem either, i just tested.. but i'd love to see those colour lines; they sound beautiful. please make a screen capture

I've just noticed that page which is currently loading looks as distorted and it would takes about 2 seconds to be displayed correctly. Time response to load and display the page is a bit slower in K-Meleon and that's why I see those lines which are in fact the (distorted) page (or image) I am loading.
Don't know how to fix the bug...

Date: July 20, 2009 09:09AM

desga2
It's very strange, seems a chrome corruption.
When you type about:blank in URL address bar you can see these "color lines across" that you said?
Can you post some screen capture?
What Windows version are you using?
Only happend to you in ebay website?

I've just noticed that page which is currently loading looks as distorted and it would takes about 2 seconds to be displayed correctly. Time response to load and display the page is a bit slower in K-Meleon and that's why I see those lines which are in fact the (distorted) page (or image) I am loading.
Don't know how to fix the bug...

Date: July 21, 2009 02:18PM

desga2
Work fine to me in KM 1.5.3 with Win2K.
Are you tried with a new profile?

Can you post some link as example? I tried in ebay.es and work fine.
Can you post some screen capture about the problem?

I am posting a screen capture...

[/url][/img]

Date: July 21, 2009 05:51PM

It's interesant, this seems an old Amstrad CPC 464 loading ... smiling smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2009 05:51PM by desga2.

Date: July 21, 2009 08:44PM

desga2

my thoughts exactly :d

it's beautiful chimilco..can you take another picture please tongue sticking out smiley just joshing
i never had this problem but i don't visit ebay much..does it happen in all pages at ebay..like when visiting the main page ebay.com or only in specific internal pages? if so can you post a link to where this screen happens.

alos very important..is that lovely artwork happening inside the browser window or to the whole screen/monitor..i mean when it happens do you still see kmeleon toolbars and interface and this screen is just the rendering page or does it full up your whole screen, because if it's the latter; that probably means a graphics card or monitor problem..however monitor problem is unlikey because it would happen without kmeleon..graphics card is a possibility if kmeleon is over using the driver or sending too many calls and graphics card not liking it..

also try this(if scribble fills whole screen case) open display properties and click advanced button, and then troubleshoot tab and lower the hardware accelerator to the middle where it sez 'fix draw problems' and reboot the computer.

if the problem is only happenning to kmeleon inside page render(you can see kmeleon's interface frame around the scribble_ then it's most probably your embed chrome or some other internal component of kmeleon got corrupted like desga said..in that case a clean reinstall of kmeleon is strongly advised

Date: July 22, 2009 10:24AM

disrupted
desga2

my thoughts exactly :d

it's beautiful chimilco..can you take another picture please tongue sticking out smiley just joshing
i never had this problem but i don't visit ebay much..does it happen in all pages at ebay..like when visiting the main page ebay.com or only in specific internal pages? if so can you post a link to where this screen happens.

alos very important..is that lovely artwork happening inside the browser window or to the whole screen/monitor..i mean when it happens do you still see kmeleon toolbars and interface and this screen is just the rendering page or does it full up your whole screen, because if it's the latter; that probably means a graphics card or monitor problem..however monitor problem is unlikey because it would happen without kmeleon..graphics card is a possibility if kmeleon is over using the driver or sending too many calls and graphics card not liking it..

also try this(if scribble fills whole screen case) open display properties and click advanced button, and then troubleshoot tab and lower the hardware accelerator to the middle where it sez 'fix draw problems' and reboot the computer.

if the problem is only happenning to kmeleon inside page render(you can see kmeleon's interface frame around the scribble_ then it's most probably your embed chrome or some other internal component of kmeleon got corrupted like desga said..in that case a clean reinstall of kmeleon is strongly advised

The problem is only happening to K-Meleon inside page render in eBay items, not the home page. Have re-installed software but issue remains... Perhaps that Windows98 is now a bit older..oh! by the way : is someone able to explain why the icon inside folders (displayed at top left just over folders' title, like MY COMPUTER..MY DOCUMENTS..RECYCLE BIN..etc (including my self-created folders) is missing ? All icons are correctly displayed on the desktop but when I click on any of folders the icon at upper left corner doesn't appear, just a small box with 3 tiny dots inside.. Please see screen capture ...

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help !

Date: July 22, 2009 04:16PM

you have a custom view for this folder so it reads a hidden desktop.ini which then sends it to a bogus html page wth the image..the image might have been deleted or the resources renamed

open folder options and chheck unhide hidden files or whatever it's called(show all files.. i can't remember)

anyway..once you do that, go to the folder where the image is not displayed and find a file callled desktop.ini

open it in notepad, it should look something like that
[ExtShellFolderViews]
Default={5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}
{5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}={5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}

[{5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}]
PersistMoniker=file://Folder.htt

[.ShellClassInfo]
ConfirmFileOp=0

you need to find the file it's calling folder.htt it should be in the same folder unless the path states otherwise

now open folder.htt in notepad..it's just an html code..look for the image it wants direct it to another image..or find the image and save it where it sez

Date: July 23, 2009 08:44AM

disrupted
you have a custom view for this folder so it reads a hidden desktop.ini which then sends it to a bogus html page wth the image..the image might have been deleted or the resources renamed

open folder options and chheck unhide hidden files or whatever it's called(show all files.. i can't remember)

anyway..once you do that, go to the folder where the image is not displayed and find a file callled desktop.ini

open it in notepad, it should look something like that
[ExtShellFolderViews]
Default={5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}
{5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}={5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}

[{5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}]
PersistMoniker=file://Folder.htt

[.ShellClassInfo]
ConfirmFileOp=0

you need to find the file it's calling folder.htt it should be in the same folder unless the path states otherwise

now open folder.htt in notepad..it's just an html code..look for the image it wants direct it to another image..or find the image and save it where it sez

I followed all steps but (sorry) I don't really understand the last part - I cannot open Notepad directly from the opened folders so I searched for "folder.htt" in START Menu-SEARCH IN FOLDERS : as a result I found this :

folder.htt - C:WINDOWS
folder.htt - C:WINDOWS/SYSTEM
folder.htt - C:WINDOWS/SYSTEM32
folder.htt - C:WINDOWS/WEB

I can open these with Notepad right here... A page with many annotations appears..but don't know what to do now.

I note that desktop.ini is displayed in all folders except RECYCLE BIN. The icon is also missing at upper left side when opening any of folders (left menu) in Windows Explorer...

I wanted to add a copy of contents (folder.htt) but (again) this forum don't allow me to do that since there's a forbidden word in the description (which one?) ... Hard to communicate this way..

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.