General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Sync 2 KM on different PCs
Posted by: koMon
Date: July 24, 2009 05:18AM

Could anybody help with syncronizing two KM on different pcs?
thanx

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sync 2 KM on different PCs
Posted by: JamesD
Date: July 24, 2009 10:29AM

@ koMon

I think that if you have the same version running on each pc then you can copy your profile folder from one to the other. You can find your profile by using EDIT - CONFIGURATION - PROFILE DIRECTORY. If you copy the entire profile, you will get the same history and cache. If you do not need the same history and cache, you could leave out history.dat and the folder named cache when you copy.

The above assumes that you have made no changes to KM itself. If you have changed some file in your skin such as toolbars.cfg then you would have to copy that to the second pc as well. You may have installed extensions which add a tools folder in the KM root directory. You need to sync that folder as well.

Date: July 24, 2009 10:48AM

JamesD,
I did exactly so. Copied profile from one pc to another and lost everything (not much that may be at worst, I think) on another pc. Saved sessions, passes, history... That is why I ask if there is a better way to sync KM on different machines.

Date: July 24, 2009 12:01PM

@ koMon

Maybe I said that wrong. I think I should have said to copy the contents of the profile directory rather than the directory itself. Each system will have a unique name for its profile directory. KM looks to find that name. If pc #1 has q6psu8b0.default and pc #2 has x0psw8b0.default for their profiles then you must copy the contents of q6psu8b0.default and paste over the contents in q6psu8b0.default. That way pc #2 will find pc #1's information in the same directory name it has been using.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: July 24, 2009 12:21PM

@komon, the entire folder must be copied, and put in a folder with the same name, and the complete path must be the same, obviously ....

I think that you must also copy the files within Profiles folder (profiles.ini)

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: July 24, 2009 06:27PM

@ koMon

I ran a test on my pc to see what I said would work correctly. It did. These are the steps I took. I am posting to this thread from the new, synced version of KM. Even my cookie for the automatic logon to the forum worked.

All you need to do for 1-3 is find the profile directory on the second pc.

profile directory for original KM
C:\Program Files\k-meleon\Profiles\q6psu8b0.default

1) Create a new folder in Program Files to simulate a KM installation on another PC.
C:\Program Files\KM_sync_test

2) Install KM into new folder.

3) Run KM so it will make a new profile for the KM_sync_test installation. The profile located at C:\Program Files\KM_sync_test\Profiles\5tqgvod3.default

4) Stop both instances of KM. Stop loader if using it.

5) Navigate to profile for original KM.
C:\Program Files\k-meleon\Profiles\q6psu8b0.default

6) Edit - Select all. Then copy.

7) Navigate to the profile for the new KM.
C:\Program Files\KM_sync_test\Profiles\5tqgvod3.default

8) Edit - Paste. Answer yes to all for overwrite.

9) Navigate to Original KM root folder. Select folders "skins" and "tools" and copy.

10) Navigate to KM_sync_test. Paste the two folders. ( Only required if you have items in skins or tools that you have added or changed in the original KM.)

11) Start the new, synced KM and check things out.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: July 24, 2009 10:08PM

k-meleon synchroniser
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/kmsynchroniser.7z

extract in kmeleon's root folder. includes a supplement macro so it can also be launched from tools>km synchroniser though it can run directly without need for the macro. the synchroniser will also locate your profile directory and synchronise it as well. can be used to synchronise km on networked pc or portable device as well as backing up your entire kmeleon folder and profile before testing a new version or applying an unofficial update. in case of running from macro, the snychromiser will automatically terminate k-meleon and loader.exe if applicable

make sure to save in km folder otherwise you will get an error

select local backup path or km install path on networked pc or portable device (in case on network pc, it will require adminstrative rights on the network)

Date: July 27, 2009 05:37AM

JujuLand, JamesD, disrupted,
Thanx

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.