favorites sort order
Posted by: pat mcgroin
Date: August 13, 2009 02:58PM

Is there a way to diable the favorites sorting?
What I would like to accomplish is to be able to put certain links near the top of the list under the folders but not necessarily in alphabetical order.
I know that I can put them in the links bar at the top but would rather have them in the list.
Thanks Pat

Re: favorites sort order
Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 13, 2009 08:23PM

@ Pat

Basic sorting in Favorites is either ascending or descending and to have folders first or not. See FAVORITES - OPTIONS - FAVORITES MENU

There are some things you can do help with how the menu displays. One is to use FavRenAdd macro http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmFavRenAdd. This will allow you to change the name of the favorite when you add it. Also you will then be able to create/select folders within favorites for the new entry to appear.

A trick that I use is to prefix the name of a favorite with A__, B__, etc to force those items to the top. I have not tried numbers, but that might work also. Something along the line of 01__, 02__, ... 11__, etc.

Date: August 14, 2009 03:08PM

I never thought of the prefix to send them to the top. That is a pretty good idea.
Im still used to IE in some ways and sortof liked the way to disassociate a link and be able to put it near the top.
Actually when I started using KM I happend to organize the favorites in IE and found that they updated in KM but the out of order sort didnt pass through.
Ill give the add on that you suggested a try and see how that goes for me.
Maybe that could be a new feature request at some point to be able to turn the sort order off after things are set to allow movement.

Thanks for the quick response Pat

Posted by: desga2
Date: August 14, 2009 08:18PM

Change to Bookmarks, Favorites is a shit.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: August 14, 2009 10:52PM

Actually I have them all at this point.
While looking at browsers I amassed a few
I guess I should consolidate.

So now that you bring it up, why do you say that bookmarks are better than favorites?
Aside from this browser being mozilla based. Is there any benifits that I dont know of?
IE is fairly common on most users computers and I can travel with them if I need to.

Date: August 14, 2009 11:44PM

It is whichever you are happy with. I came to KM from IE therefore was natural for me to use favorites. Some folk come to KM from systems which use bookmarks. There are bookmark manager programs which are good for those using bookmarks between browsers. Your bookmarks are stored in your profile and sometimes a profile will fail and KM will start a new profile. Then you have to know how to copy old bookmarks.html to new profile. I have never lost my favorites. The developers seem to like bookmarks. I think the dll for them is more advanced than the one for favorites. I wrote FavRenAdd to fill a need that I saw in the favorites side.

It is just whichever one you prefer.

Date: August 15, 2009 02:04PM

Ill have to check that out.
As I say I currently have both.
When I first started with KM I activated the use favorites in
the preferences and they have always worked.
I didnt have to import them in any way.
I then went to IE and resorted them because I reloaded not
long before that and they were scrambled up.
When I turned KM back on they took the new order.
I havent looked to see if I save one in KM if they will turn up in IE.

I will try the cookie handler though so I can back them up but
also I will be able to have them when i go some where and work on
another computer.

Date: August 15, 2009 10:10PM

Pat
I havent looked to see if I save one in KM if they will turn up in IE.

New favorites created in KM will appear in IE also. Both KM and IE use a single favorites system.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.