General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
exporting favorites out of firefox into K-meleon
Posted by: Brock Craig Rice
Date: August 22, 2009 05:31AM

Hello Everyone,

I am new to K-meleon, and what I want to do is export all my favorites out of firefox in K-meleon. Does anyone know how to do this? My friend tells me K-meleon is a lot better then firefox. So if anyone can help me make the change, it would be greatfully apreciated

bye
Brock Craig Rice

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: exporting favorites out of firefox into K-meleon
Date: August 22, 2009 06:11AM

Hello Everyone,

I need to update the message above: Mean bookmarks. So what I want to do is export my bookmarks out of firefox,and import them into K-meleon.

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 22, 2009 08:00AM

Depends on Firefox version. For the older FF2 You simply used the FF bookmarks.html with k-meleon. For sqlite based bookmarks (ff3 & 3.5)You do export as html inside Firefox. AFAIK Firefox bookmarks manager still supports that. The resulting file is a list of bookmarks that other browsers can use. Several browsers have export/import as html" which is usually the old style, html-list, Netscape bookmarks format.

If that info is not current any more i have no idea. I use k-meleon as default since before firefox project even started - so i install ff but use it rarely. Mosty if I want to use a ff extension that is not ported to K-Meleon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2009 08:01AM by guenter.

Posted by: paularoid
Date: August 22, 2009 10:14PM

guenter
Depends on Firefox version. For the older FF2 You simply used the FF bookmarks.html with k-meleon. For sqlite based bookmarks (ff3 & 3.5)You do export as html inside Firefox. AFAIK Firefox bookmarks manager still supports that. The resulting file is a list of bookmarks that other browsers can use. Several browsers have export/import as html" which is usually the old style, html-list, Netscape bookmarks format.

If that info is not current any more i have no idea. I use k-meleon as default since before firefox project even started - so i install ff but use it rarely. Mosty if I want to use a ff extension that is not ported to K-Meleon.

Yes, that is the way it works.
Specifically when inside of Firefox click on

Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Export HTML

Then just find the location of your K-Meleon bookmark file usually located in "Program Files/K-Meleon/Profiles/xxxxxxxx.default/bookmarks.html" (where the "x" is any random string of characters specific to your system) and copy it right over the top of what's there. Make a backup first if there isn't one there already so that if something goes awry you can revert back to your old bookmarks.

It's also possible to force K-Meleon to use your current Firefox bookmarks file where it exists so they both share the same bookmark file. I don't prefer to do this myself because the character don't always translate well when saving and reading from one to the other. It's better (for me) to just export from Firefox straight over to K-Meleon. Your mileage may vary though.

Force K-Meleon to use the Firefox bookmarks file by going into
(K-Meleon) Preferences > K-Meleon Plugins > Netscape Bookmarks > "General" tab

At the bottom there on the right you will see a box for "Netscape Bookmarks File" where you can input the location of the bookmarks file you would like K-Meleon to use. Use the browse button to point to the file, get the desired file listed in the box, close, and then restart K-Meleon and you should be operating with the new bookmarks file.

*NOTE* I stand (and welcome) to be corrected on any of the aforementioned process. This is how it works on -my- system. I'm using Firefox 3.0.11 and K-Meleon 1.53 and the latest version of Opera (that I use so rarely I can't remember the actual version number at the moment). ;-)

Date: August 23, 2009 05:53AM

Hello I followed your instructions.

But when I went into>program files>K-meleon> Couldnt find the folder> all there is chrome,componets,defaults,greprefs,kplugins,macros,plugins,res,skins...and a bunch of odd files

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: August 23, 2009 07:39AM

If you have a file names profile.ini in the K-Meleon folder, you have a profiles folder where is located your profile.

Else, your profile is located in :

c:\Documents and Settings\<winusername>\Application Data\K-Meleon\ ....

I don't use Vista, but it must be under C:\roaming\....

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 23, 2009 10:28AM

When running KM, go to EDIT - CONFIGURATION - PROFILE DIRECTROY. That will show where your currently running profile is located. Bookmarks.html will be located there.

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 23, 2009 05:09PM

Easiest to find via JamesD's method.

For more details. http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html Holger Metzger only knows K-Meleon's old default profiles location. K-Meleon's new (since 1.0) default profiles location is where Firefox and Beonex and all other programs have their application data.

He shows the path to %apdata% on every windows system.

Posted by: brock rice
Date: August 29, 2009 01:18AM

Thank you everyone for all this great information. I have decided to make the change over to K-meleon, and got all my bookmarks to show up

sweet...thanks guys

Posted by: Rob
Date: October 06, 2015 04:17PM

Dude!!, Your da bomb on this for one I love this browser for 2 you know your stuff

for that I thank you.

have a great day
Rob

Posted by: Rob
Date: October 06, 2015 04:18PM

paularoid
guenter

Yes, that is the way it works.
Specifically when inside of Firefox click on

Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Export HTML

Then just find the location of your K-Meleon bookmark file usually located in "Program Files/K-Meleon/Profiles/xxxxxxxx.default/bookmarks.html" (where the "x" is any random string of characters specific to your system) and copy it right over the top of what's there. Make a backup first if there isn't one there already so that if something goes awry you can revert back to your old bookmarks.

It's also possible to force K-Meleon to use your current Firefox bookmarks file where it exists so they both share the same bookmark file. I don't prefer to do this myself because the character don't always translate well when saving and reading from one to the other. It's better (for me) to just export from Firefox straight over to K-Meleon. Your mileage may vary though.

Force K-Meleon to use the Firefox bookmarks file by going into
(K-Meleon) Preferences > K-Meleon Plugins > Netscape Bookmarks > "General" tab

At the bottom there on the right you will see a box for "Netscape Bookmarks File" where you can input the location of the bookmarks file you would like K-Meleon to use. Use the browse button to point to the file, get the desired file listed in the box, close, and then restart K-Meleon and you should be operating with the new bookmarks file.

Dude!!, Your da bomb on this for one I love this browser for 2 you know your stuff

for that I thank you.

have a great day
Rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2015 12:08PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.