General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
help with profile
Posted by: ndebord
Date: September 20, 2009 03:49PM

Well, that was fun. I was using ccleaner to compact and cleanup my hard drive and it deleted setttings for K-Meleon in documents, etc. I had thought that by using profiles.ini and single user that all my info for K-Meleon was kept (where I think it belongs) in the program's folders and sub-folders. BUT nope. Lost a lot of settings and can't recover them.

So I guess my question is this. How to stop K-Meleon from looking other places than its own program folder for settings and how to make sure that these other places are permanently deleted.

Any help much appreciated.

N

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help with profile
Posted by: JamesD
Date: September 20, 2009 05:14PM

@ ndebord

I have always used the 7z file to load KM for me. After the 7z un-zips to program files\k-meleon <versions>, I put an empty file named profile.ini in the root folder before I start KM. That way KM puts the profile in a folder like this. "C:\Program Files\k-meleon 153\Profiles\q6psu8b0.default"

I keep a reserve copy of the profile in My Documents\reserve by using ResProfile.kmm. http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmResProfile You can change the location for the reserve at run time.

It is not fancy, but it gets the job done. To tell the truth, I have seldom had to use it. It is not automatic. You have to remember to run ResProfile after major changes to the profile.

I have not used CCleaner. I guess from your post that it does not have any recover functions?

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 20, 2009 05:25PM

Profile.ini in root folder makes profiles in install dir. Can be empty dummy.
Profiles.ini has another function and is inside the profiles folder.

Plus check that no hard coded links to other places like a bookmarks.html in another folder are present in prefs.js of used profile.

An example from my profile.

user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.bookmarkFile", "I:\\K-Meleonde-DE1.1.4de-de\\Profiles\\default\\tmickfmu.slt\\bookmarks.html");

Means that my current 1.5 is set to use an existing bookmarks file inside a profile of a no longer used K-Meleon (in fact all my k-meleons use that file, it keeps bookmarks synchronized grinning smiley )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2009 05:35PM by guenter.

Date: September 20, 2009 10:07PM

guenter
Profile.ini in root folder makes profiles in install dir. Can be empty dummy.
Profiles.ini has another function and is inside the profiles folder.

Guenter,

Aarrgghhh... When I put a profile.ini (blank) file in K-Meleon, I lost most of my settings... I had forgotten that profiles.ini was different that profile.ini.

I think I need to do a fresh install and then try and manually update from my backups, no?

N

Posted by: JamesD
Date: September 20, 2009 10:47PM

It should not have destroyed any old ones. An empty profile.ini just makes a new profile. Old ones should still be in place, just not active.

Date: September 21, 2009 04:02AM

JamesD
It should not have destroyed any old ones. An empty profile.ini just makes a new profile. Old ones should still be in place, just not active.

James,

If they are there, I can't fix it and so I started fresh with KM 1.5.0, then desga2's latest updater. Manually reinstalled everything I wanted from before and all is well except for one strange, never before seen error. Under Tools, Mail & News are missing and if you click on either email or news icon, nothing happens. Strange.

N

Date: September 21, 2009 08:44AM

ndebord
JamesD

If they are there, I can't fix it

1.) Exactly!

2.) Yes You can fix it - unless ccleaner has deleted them.

K-Meleon 1.5s profiles by default use relative paths!

K-Meleon 1.5s with Profiles in ./K-Meleon/profiles/ are portable!

K-Meleon 1.5s profile locations can be changed with minimum effort.

Unless You have intentionally bend something in the way I do for my bookmarks -
the profiles are completely self contained and do not point ouside K-Meleon folder.

Ok, what You do if the old one still exist?

You copy the complete folder inside

./K-Meleon/profiles/

And then You edit the ./K-Meleon/profiles/profiles.ini

Path statement:

Path=etaqbqbo.default to point to the name of the old profile.
The example is my path You will find another random name.

Else You copy the content of old profile into the new profile.
And check prefs.js that it does not have old paths with other profile name.

What I described is the same tech that is used when scandisk has eaten profiles.ini.
I narrated the answer to a FAQ tongue sticking out smiley

p.s. It relative paths is a feature of recent versions - another good point besides new macros

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2009 08:54AM by guenter.

Date: September 21, 2009 03:50PM

Guenter,

Well that didn't go well at all. The old profile froze up KM entirely. The culprit is prefs.js. So my solution (once again) was to do a fresh install with all my macros, extensions and personal variations. Works great. Just have to manually do passwords and all is well.

Much thanks!

N

Date: September 21, 2009 04:03PM

Do select all then copy all of content of old *.s then select all & paste into new *.s. That normally transfers passwords. If You have a master pass You need the *.db files of old profile.

If You did not use masterpass search: "signon.SignonFileName" encoding base64

should get You links that allow to view old passwords - they are merely encoded base64 to protect them from damage.

p.s. If that did not go well CCleaner might have caused it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2009 04:09PM by guenter.

Date: September 21, 2009 04:49PM

guenter
Do select all then copy all of content of old *.s then select all & paste into new *.s. That normally transfers passwords. If You have a master pass You need the *.db files of old profile.

If You did not use masterpass search: "signon.SignonFileName" encoding base64

should get You links that allow to view old passwords - they are merely encoded base64 to protect them from damage.

p.s. If that did not go well CCleaner might have caused it?

Guenter,

I have all my passwords backed up into a text file, so cut and paste and I'm good on all my sites. As for KM... by not having profile.ini, I allowed it to save info in MY Documents (etc) and CCleaner did scrub things nicely. Afterwards, I mucked it all up somehow. The new install was the way to go and I've copied over bookmarks and search engines. Reinstalled everything I want and so I can't complain at all now. Just a matter of cutting and pasting passwords when asked. (Almost a portable KM now.)

N

Date: September 21, 2009 08:29PM

Scrubbed is no win situation sad smiley

Date: September 22, 2009 12:02AM

guenter
Scrubbed is no win situation sad smiley

Guenter,

Yes, but... there was something else wrong with the setup... too much tinkering probably and so it was better to do it the old-fashioned, handmade way. Runs nice now and thanks to your profile.ini (not profiles ini!!!), it is all within the program folders, where all well-behaved apps should reside!

N

Date: September 22, 2009 08:11AM

In %apdata% it is easier to do whole user data updates. But for portability, dual boot and several test versions ready to use profile.inied setup is great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2009 08:12AM by guenter.

Date: September 22, 2009 03:05PM

guenter
In %apdata% it is easier to do whole user data updates. But for portability, dual boot and several test versions ready to use profile.inied setup is great.

Guenter,

Whole user is a whole other dimension! <g> For my tastes, well-behaved apps that stay entirely in their program folders make my day!

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.