General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon is bloatware
Posted by: K-Meleon
Date: August 22, 2000 10:11PM

I forgot to add that i @!#$ cows too ;\

(c) 2000 christophe thibault. All rights reserved.
(no, i don't have the time to make a fucking pretty page)

Options: ReplyQuote
RE: K-Meleon is bloatware - HUH???
Posted by: Sean Robertson
Date: August 23, 2000 12:42AM

HUH??? The only thing I'd suggest changing is the interface. I think you'd be better off trying to improve on the MSIE interface, rather than copying it. Out of all the IE versions, I like the way IE5.x looks the best by far, and IE3 the worst. ;-)

Another quicke - I haven't downloaded it yet, so you may have already covered it, but support for favicon.ico would be a huge plus. IE5.x automatically check the root of the server for that file when you bookmark a page, and if it finds that file, it uses that icon instead of the default on in the favorites list. Pages can also have a meta tag in them directing the browser to an icon file in a location other than root. Not only is that a handy marketing tool for webmasters, but it makes it a lot easier to see what your bookmarks are at a glance. www.robotfarm.de uses one, for example, as does www.pilotonline.com (once I figured it out, I set it up for them while I was working there).

Finally, if you really do think its bloatware, I guess your goal should be to make it fit on a single floppy. That would be a HUGE acheivement. Of course, that may not be possible, so perhaps a split package in addition to the single file download would be handy, as it would make offline distribution significantly easier.

Posted by: Morgoth
Date: August 23, 2000 12:17PM

Huh? who is using floppys nowadays? I only use a floppy to flash my bios....

Posted by: keith
Date: August 23, 2000 03:55PM

believe it or not, people still use floppies all the time. my current favorite way to install <a href='http://www.debian.org">debian</a>;, for instance, is via floppy for base system (takes 5 floppies) and high-speed network for the rest of the system. takes three hours, start to finish, including the time it takes to download helix gnome. alas, not for the faint of bandwidth. note that while three hours may seem like a long time, only the first 15 and last 10 is attended. the rest is mostly downloading, so if you're sitting on a T1 network, it probably wouldn't even take that long.

Yes, bloatware.
Posted by: Scott Fitchet
Date: August 23, 2000 07:34PM

Visually, the first version is light. However, K-Meleon uses 17MB of RAM on my machine as opposed to 16MB for SeaMonkey. When you are trying to build for speed you need to get rid of all the low-level stuff that isn't used.

All I want to see is a place to enter a URL, view the page as fast as possible, and have as many network options as possible (cookies, cache, per site security, etc.). Maybe a bookmark manager.

A good start, but obviously much work to do.... the next few releases will be interesting to see.

RE: Yes, bloatware.
Posted by: Joe Thomas
Date: August 24, 2000 02:47PM

Scott, you describe a browser that would be most welcomes by other people that don't need all the distracting bells and whistles that have clogged the arteries of the Internet.

However, remember that the ever evolving Internet is populated with users that crave sensoral gratification. They need to see it and hear it. If anyone can develop an economical means of releasing phenomes as a mouse glides over a point on a page, they would become the next Bill Gates.

Maybe you should attempt what Christophe done and develop the browser that you described in your post.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.