General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-MELON WIN9X COMPATIBLE ?
Posted by: JIM THOMSON
Date: September 21, 2009 08:39AM

grinning smiley
hello

I'm looking for a updated web browser for my WIN9X O.S...

I'm currently using FIREFOX 2.2.20 on my WIN9X systems...but I' herd that FIREFOX 2.2.20 has too many security vulnerabilities to continue to use this web browser...since no updates have been released for this version in a long time ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-MELON WIN9X COMPATIBLE ?
Posted by: desga2
Date: September 21, 2009 09:16AM

Yes it's, K-Meleon is Win9x compatible.
You can download last version K-Meleon 1.5.3 (2009-05-08) Gecko 1.8.1.21 dated: 20090331 and update it with this last unofficial update to Gecko 1.8.1.23

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: siria
Date: September 21, 2009 04:23PM

Yep, definitely compatible 8) grinning smiley
There are two exe-files in the program folder, one for 9x and one for modern systems.

I'm not quite sure about the vulnerabilities with Gecko 1.8.x, since I keep reading here it's outdated too, the current is 1.9.x?

Just for the record, Firefox 3.5.2 runs also nicely on Win9x, if one has kernelex installed! Really nifty 200 kB proggie that makes a number of Non-Win9X programs run anyway. Amazingly my old firefox 2.2 took about 25 sec to start, and 3.5.2 only about 8!
Still much more than kmeleon of course ;-)

Posted by: JIM T
Date: September 21, 2009 05:45PM

eye rolling smiley smiling smiley grinning smiley

wow !

I' had no idea about the WIN9X Fx 3.** compatibility patch info ! thanks !

I'm hoping all the security features built into Fx 3.** will also work on WIN9X systems ?

Date: September 21, 2009 06:38PM

You can figure that out better than me, cause I'm no expert at all with Firefox ;-)
Browsing in general works fine, script blocking seems to work too, and I installed a bunch of the addons: Some work with 9x, some not. But I'm too clueless to guarantee anything, so, nothing to do but just try and see...

But if like, don't hesitate to try K-Meleon too, it starts in 2 secs, and has a really nifty privacy bar eye rolling smiley Haven't found anyhing like that in FF, and it's my #1 reason for prefering KM (apart from the speed, hehe)
Okay... now I can't resist to make a little screenshot... Although it's my private customized skin, but the privbar is similar in most other skins. The privacy bar is on top and complete with all the 17 (!!) buttons, but usually I have only half the buttons enabled so that the bar fits right of the main menu :-)

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 21, 2009 08:06PM

JIM THOMSON
I'm currently using FIREFOX 2.2.20 on my WIN9X systems...but I' herd that FIREFOX 2.2.20 has too many security vulnerabilities to continue to use this web browser

...since no updates have been released for this version in a long time ?

AFAIK a major flaw in network certificates handling was found. The patches used by MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH against these new problems are from GRE 1.9.

No official update for Firefox/Bonecho was released since end 2008, AFAIRemember.

The code base is still maintained since it is also used to build Thunderbird and SeaMonkey.

If You have access to one NT or XP machine You could try build Firefox 2.2.2x pres with an updated engine.

The how 2 can be found under "Building Firefox Using Free Tools".

I use an updated version of the described environment for our unoficial GRE updates and did MOZ_CO_PROJECT=suite and last build SEAMONKEY_1_1_18_RELEASE.

You would grab the Firefox 2.2.20 release source code, do an update with the MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH with make -f client.mk checkout MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser.

I also build Firefox GREs sometimes http://two.xthost.info/kmupdate/firefox2.0.0.22.7z
But I do not use them except to compare rendering results with K-Meleon and to scavenge components. My Bonecho are not build static - else I cannot scavenge modules. grinning smiley

Use on YOUR own risk. Absolutely no support by me. I know nothing about Firefox. The built may not even start on Your PC or make Your dog howl.

Just as reminder. Use virus scan on the download - these are dangerous times. I am just another stranger for You.

It would be safer to build Yourself

guenter
Minimalistic build environment for updating K-Meleon GRE 1.8.1.x

1a) You need the Mozilla-Build environament from Windows_Build_Prerequisites
(link from build Prerequisitives Page. Some tools have a recommended location.)
It contain the up to date tools to make any Mozilla GRE.
1b.) And the Source naturally.

2.) Building any current GRE with free Tools definitely needs
Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Express Tools for .NET Framework - enu. Because it is the only that has free mfc, atl, crt... includes.

These belong together to make GRE 1.8.x:

3.) Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 20003
4.) Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1

This Toolkit 2003 & mentioned sources is the min build requirement, needs some additional instructions and files links via Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 still in use by Mateusz Losko

Attached bats go into & start free toolkit compilation with Toolkit 2003 from the mozilla-build environment.

p.s. I forgot to mention that non static Firefox builds were used by Monkee-Sage and others to run K-Meleon.exes. K-Meleon would probably also work with the non static Firefox I build.

I much recommend to use this Firefox for rendering tests only.
K-Meleon is clearly better and supported by an active community.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2009 08:16PM by guenter.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: September 21, 2009 08:32PM

siria
But if like, don't hesitate to try K-Meleon too, it starts in 2 secs, and has a really nifty privacy bar eye rolling smiley Haven't found anyhing like that in FF, and it's my #1 reason for prefering KM (apart from the speed, hehe)

I created the privacy bar by request for KM v0.9 based upon the original preferences bar for mozilla. It has now morphed into the prefbar for mozilla & firefox. For some reason it's not posted on FF's addons site.

Date: September 21, 2009 09:02PM

jsnj
siria
nifty privacy bar eye rolling smiley
based upon the original preferences bar for mozilla

Thx for my much used extension smiling smiley

Posted by: ndebord
Date: September 22, 2009 12:04AM

JIM THOMSON
grinning smiley
hello

I'm looking for a updated web browser for my WIN9X O.S...

I'm currently using FIREFOX 2.2.20 on my WIN9X systems...but I' herd that FIREFOX 2.2.20 has too many security vulnerabilities to continue to use this web browser...since no updates have been released for this version in a long time ?

Jim,

No updates (aside from pre's that are no longer being worked on enough to have any conviction that they are well done) and no willingness on the part of Mozilla Corp. to ever do anything more with FF2.

N

Posted by: JIM T
Date: September 22, 2009 02:37AM

smiling smiley

JSNS' privacy bar for K-MELON...way cool dude !

the geeky stuff by QUENTER ...real cool also ... I'll have too digest that a little later...after my brain fart clears...grinning smiley

..........grinning smiley

real cool info thanks....:s

Date: September 22, 2009 04:36AM

jsnj
siria

I created the privacy bar by request for KM v0.9 based upon the original preferences bar for mozilla. It has now morphed into the prefbar for mozilla & firefox. For some reason it's not posted on FF's addons site.

jsnj,

And a very nice thing it is, whether you call it Privacy Bar or PrefBar. I use it in KM and FF and thank you very much!

:-)

N

Posted by: jsnj
Date: September 22, 2009 07:01AM

Cool. Good to know people find it useful. I've never used it though smiling smiley. I don't change those settings enough to warrant an entire extra toolbar taking up screen real estate. For the rare times I need to change those settings, I access the privacy menu by right-clicking the stop button.

Date: September 22, 2009 08:01AM

jsnj
an entire extra toolbar taking up screen real estate.

Half an extra Toolbar, here. grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2009 08:04AM by guenter.

Attachments: privacy.gif (21.2 KB)  
Date: September 22, 2009 02:03PM

jsnj,

Well, I use Early Blue Theme and by limiting the little icons on the privacy bar, I only have two lines: (top line is File/Edit....etc., along with URLs and active tabs. Second line: the standard stuff, along with email, usenet, RSS, New Tab, Close Tab, a weather icon, Font +/-, FlashBlock and from Privacy Bar: Java, JavaScript, Popups, Cache, History and URL Bar. (oh yes, the status bar at the bottom too. The fewer toolbars active is my mantra: Could set it up without text and get down to one line, but that is too minimalist even for my tastes!

N

Date: September 23, 2009 10:24PM

jsnj
Oh, no wonder I didn't find it! Pity, but not too late yet.
Anyway, great, I'll install the other too some day - so thanx for both! :-) (KM bar and FF link ;-)

I really use that privbar all the time too, and still each time glad it's there grinning smiley For the space problem, I've squeezed the buttons to 48px, and have 'only' 11 buttons enabled, so it fits in half a line. That's okay for clicking it all the time ;-)

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: September 24, 2009 05:41PM

siria
Yep, definitely compatible 8) grinning smiley
There are two exe-files in the program folder, one for 9x and one for modern systems.

I'm not quite sure about the vulnerabilities with Gecko 1.8.x, since I keep reading here it's outdated too, the current is 1.9.x?

Just for the record, Firefox 3.5.2 runs also nicely on Win9x, if one has kernelex installed! Really nifty 200 kB proggie that makes a number of Non-Win9X programs run anyway. Amazingly my old firefox 2.2 took about 25 sec to start, and 3.5.2 only about 8!
Still much more than kmeleon of course ;-)

sure FF 3.x works under Win9x with KernelEx installed EXCEPT when you want to print something. Read this:
http://www.msfn.org/board/firefox-3-0-x-doesnt-print-t135117-pid-873063.html

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.