General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Re: Copy and pasting a page problem
Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: May 18, 2003 07:29PM

For me that only happen when what I am pasting into is WYSIWYG, which is how it is supposed to be. With plain text fields like this one the paste results in plain text:

This weeks top 75 Singles charts

18 May 2003 Week: 21

( 1 )

IGNITION REMIX
R KELLY
JIVE
Chart Comments 2wks

( ! )

NO GOOD ADVICE
GIRLS ALOUD [info]
POLYDOR

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: May 18, 2003 11:22PM

Yeah, I get just the text pasted into my Notepad (Edxor), like from any other page.

Posted by: Ismo
Date: May 19, 2003 07:06AM

Weird site. When I tried to access that page with Netscape 4.7 it started
to eat my virtual memory (it filled my swap file) and crashed NS. I had just
120 MB left on my C: drive and it ate it all. I accessed that site with K-M and
IE 5.5 too and they had no problems. They didn't touch my swap file at
all (nowadays I have 96 MB RAM). So why is this site crashing NS 4.7.
I allowed all cookies and javascript on/off. No change. Is it just too complicated
for old NS?

Another question. Pasting works as MonkeeSage and Arual... says.
However, when I save the page from K-M as text only (*.txt) I get
121 kB file which is the same file as I save it as Web page HTML-only.
They are identical (html-code). When I save the page from IE 5.5 as
text file I get 10 kB file with only the visible text (as it should be?).
Why does K-M save also html tags?

Date: May 19, 2003 04:53PM

Ismo:

AFAIK, K-M doesn't have any option to save only the visible text of the page. You can change the extension to .txt when you save the page, but that is just the same thing as taking an html file and changing its extansion to .txt--it doesn't alter the contennt of the file (which is HTML). I suppose that easiest way to get a text only copy of a page is to focus on the document body and then select all (CTRL A), then copy, and then paste into a text file.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: asmpgmr
Date: May 19, 2003 05:40PM

Actually this is a shortcoming, just last night I wanted to do this and I had to use Netscape 4.79 to do it. Selecting all of the text and doing a copy and paste operation won't preseve the text layout. Netscape 4.79 strips all of the HTML while preserving the basic text layout of the page. Does anyone know if Mozilla can do this ? If so then maybe it's something that can be ported to K-Meleon.

Date: May 20, 2003 05:05AM

asmpgmr:

Moz. 1.4b converts the HTML to text and puts the URLs in alligator brackets and a few other things, when you save a file using the "Text Files" type. I assume this is comperable to what NS does? I'm looking in the Mozilla source now to find out what it calls to do it, but no luck so far. But it looks like it will be possible to get it into K-M, given that the Mozilla function can be located. smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: asmpgmr
Date: May 20, 2003 11:56PM

MonkeeSage,

I don't know since I don't use Mozilla, I can't stand it because it's too sloooooow. Netscape 4.x removes all HTML (including links) and puts in "[Image]" for any images. It does its best to preserve the basic layout and text alignment of the page. Anyway do you know how Mozilla implements the similar function, I haven't looked into it as of yet.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.