General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Request re: new forums
Posted by: Arrow
Date: October 17, 2009 01:47AM

Does the forum software have a new or recent posts facility that can deliver up all posts made in all sub forums since a member's last visit.
Most messageboard/forums softwares have this - it's very usefull

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Request re: new forums
Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 17, 2009 10:18AM

If you log in to the forum and have history then a "new" is shown for items since your last visit.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 17, 2009 10:34AM

No, not on the top level, at least not for me neither (98se). I must compare the dates on all 9 sub-forums manually, and try to remember when I last looked in, or first open all subforums to finally see the "new" marks *sigh* Which is really, really a pain, especially when being used a complete "new postings" or "active topics" list from other forums. One single page that includes all sub-forums, instead of 9 forums that seem completely independant. If there were at least a "New" mark at subforums that contain new posts, but not even that exists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2009 10:36AM by siria.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: October 17, 2009 02:24PM

I'm with Arrow, since (if you can remember) sourceforge updated their servers and software and whatever they made, the forum became "unbrowsable" (I said few times...) and with the new subforums, you can lost lot of threads and it's a pain going through each forum remember what you read, check them, unable to mark forums as read, etc, etc, etc.

I really recommend SMF forums and make a forum face wash.

Date: October 18, 2009 02:37AM

I don't keep history.

On every other forum I visit regularly, I bookmark the Recent or New postsurl and use that to open the forum in my browser,

For example; on vbulletin the recent posts url bookmark would be
h**p://www.forumname.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2009 02:37AM by Arrow.

Date: October 19, 2009 08:18PM

Here we go,

This thread includes a link to an active demo of the Recent Messages Module for "Phorum" forums.

http://www.phorum.org/phorum5/read.php?62,125518,125518

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 19, 2009 09:07PM

Skilled manpower for this project is limited. K-Meleon devs work on the browser.

Who can implement this post's feature request?

p.s. Its not that the request is technically impossible. This project has to set priorities, and IMHO we want the browser not the Forum improved first.

I am only a user, still, if I want a new skin, I create one. I will not ask a dev.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2009 09:16PM by guenter.

Date: October 19, 2009 10:22PM

Well, I never managed a Phorum Forum, but reading the readme for that mod, isn't very difficult.

Just add the mod to the correct directory. Install from administrator page and modify the template. (This should be done by kko, the admin, if I'm not wrong).

Date: October 19, 2009 10:37PM

Thanks JohnHell I figured there would someone here with the knowhow. smiling smiley

Re: Request new forums / Addon Recent Messages
Posted by: siria
Date: August 10, 2020 11:03PM

On top of the forum is this link to "Recent Messages"
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/addon.php?0,module=recent_messages

Really handy, but it shows by default only tiny 10 entries.
Far too few, and quite often even just 5-6, the rest is freewares offtopic.

I keep wishing since years that the default (for non-members too) should be at very least 25, but no idea how difficult it would be to change the default value. Now stumbled by chance across another Phorum forum with the same addon, and noticed it uses URL parameters in the LINK to increase the hits - perhaps that would be easiest? If access...
https://www.tvforen.de/search.php
has this link:
https://www.tvforen.de/addon.php?0,module=recent_messages,show_forum=0,show_amount=100

Date: August 11, 2020 12:02AM

siria
I keep wishing since years that the default (for non-members too) should be at very least 25, but no idea how difficult it would be to change the default value.
[...]
https://www.tvforen.de/addon.php?0,module=recent_messages,show_forum=0,show_amount=100

You already know. Tied hands.

Here it is possible to use that parameter as well and, in fact, I tested it, and, side note, there was a limit at some point, but I can't remember the number.

Posted by: Mello
Date: August 12, 2020 11:39PM

Date: October 17, 2009 01:47AM

Ha! Thought I was going crazy seeing this old thread. Arrow was my original username and I had no recollection of making this request until reading a few replies just now.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.