General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
VBScript/Javascript?
Posted by: Alex
Date: August 23, 2000 02:42PM

I would love to use and promote your browser, but before I even download it it has to support VBScript and/or Javascript (at the least). Does it? If not, will it?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
RE: VBScript/Javascript?
Posted by: keith
Date: August 23, 2000 03:50PM

like all versions of mozilla, i would presume that it is entirely standards compliant, meaning javascript support. VBScript being the brainchild of the same people who brought us embrace, extend, extinguish, there is no standard for it aside from microsoft's own internal implementation. Thus it is not supported in mozilla, and i doubt it ever will be.

Posted by: Jon Davis
Date: August 25, 2000 01:48PM

VBScript and all other AciveScript languages can be supported in any application if that application is built to support the ActiveScript, or Microsoft Scripting runtime engine. The libraries for the Microsoft Scripting runtime engine are available for free at http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/

Posted by: keith
Date: August 25, 2000 02:04PM

key word in this is <i>microsoft</i>... Using VBScript defeats one of the most important stated purposes of using Mozilla, which is the ability to develop web pages viewable across any standards compliant browser, on any platform. While one could, in theory, put the plug-in for VBScript into mozilla, the web pages developed for it would only be viewable on a windows platform. While that would allow someone to see some pages now, in 12 months time we're going to see a much larger reason to conform to w3c standards: AOL's 20-million-strong user base who will be using Mozilla by default.

Posted by: hakan
Date: August 26, 2000 03:38AM

Well, then, does it support Javascript? It seems not.

Posted by: DKD
Date: January 11, 2001 12:54AM

It does not seem to support a simple javascript I have on my web site.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.