General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon - How do I ??? System now up
Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 06, 2009 07:46PM

I have opened a web site to collect and display some of good information that is to be found on our forums. The site is here. http://kmhdisys.t35.com/

The t35 site is add supported, so sometimes there is a lot of "stuff" on the screen. Maybe I will have to pay for to get a clean screen. I will wait to see how the project is received to make that decision.

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon - How do I ??? System now up
Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 06, 2009 09:00PM

very good idea. it should be a sticky.. probably on the bugs page because very few bother reading faq wiki and go directly to bogs so it seems to be apt there.

the site is nice but the ads are annoying and very distracting within the links and ruining the design. the clix5 site seems to be working in control panel.. not ftp.. i submitted a complaint ticker.. their ftp was working fine before i left. i guess free hosts are always a nuisance, the ones without ads can be unstable and the ones with ads ruin the layout. if ftp is restored soon, please upload the HDI there as well as t35.. it will be like a backup, it wouln't harm. you can still upload through their web panel upload thing but it's not practical... hopefully it will be working by tomorrow and we can have both sites.

also very important to make a help for yahoo because it's a reoccurring problem (i think some of them aren't even kmeleon users but the thread is getting popular on google

- to use that new whatsit email thing: needs useragent switch to ff 2.0 or 3.0(preferably 3.0 to avoid the realplayer message)
- yahoo mail requires js to access some features and if js is disabled: no inbox, compose etc
- to be able to view image previews in the inbox, accept all cookies must be enabled(default: originating site only does not work)

test account:
kmeleontesters@yahoo.co.uk
password: f***yahoo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2009 09:07PM by disrupted.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: November 06, 2009 09:10PM

Nice smiling smiley
I wouldn't bother about adds. If the "stuff" becomes troublesome it will be blocked :p
Every K-M user should at least be able to deal with adds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2009 09:12PM by Yogi.

Date: November 06, 2009 09:22PM

Yogi
Every K-M user should at least be able to deal with adds.
grinning smiley so true

Date: November 06, 2009 10:14PM

disrupted
- to use that new whatsit email thing: needs useragent switch to ff 2.0 or 3.0(preferably 3.0 to avoid the realplayer message)
- yahoo mail requires js to access some features and if js is disabled: no inbox, compose etc
- to be able to view image previews in the inbox, accept all cookies must be enabled(default: originating site only does not work)

test account:
kmeleontesters@yahoo.co.uk
password: f***yahoo

I am getting "Invalid ID or Password" when I try to sign in. Do I just go to Yahoo.com and sign in?

Posted by: desga2
Date: November 06, 2009 10:17PM

I think you can block the publicity because this is a simple div element added at the end of the html file:
<div id="t35ad" align="center" style="display:block;">
[...]
</div>

You can add next line in Edit -> Configuration -> User-Defined StyleSheet (userContent.css file), add next lines;
div#t35ad {display: none ! important;}

Or add this line in Edit -> Configuration -> Adblocking StyleSheet (adblock.css file);
div[id="t35ad"],
And check the option "Enable CSS-Ad Blocking" in Edit -> Preferences (F2) -> Content Filters

Restart K-Meleon to changes take effect.

P.S.; In index.htm (main frameset html file) have tags not ended;
This line:
</FRAMESET></noscript></noframes>
must be:
</FRAMESET></HTML>

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2009 10:25PM by desga2.

Date: November 06, 2009 11:43PM

desga2
P.S.; In index.htm (main frameset html file) have tags not ended;
This line:
</FRAMESET></noscript></noframes>
must be:
</FRAMESET></HTML>

I cannot find the </noscript> anywhere in index.htm. Can you give more info or a line number for missing tag.

@ disrupted

I found that I had an old Yahoo e-mail id. It was inactive but now I have gotten it running again. It is with classic mail. I am using that without any problem with the default user agent. Do I have to have a differnt version of mail to have the problems that others are always asking about?

Date: November 06, 2009 11:53PM

@ JamesD:
Can you find your last </FRAMESET>? and some tag </HTML> in your index.htm code?

Is strange because this can be code added by server for ads and it lost </html> tag.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: November 07, 2009 11:48AM

@ desga2

OK, last </FRAMESET> did not have ending </HTML>. You were correct.

My first attempt at frames, and I guess I missed something when I copied code from other sources. Thanks for pointing that out. I will get the change done as soon as I can.

Posted by: siria
Date: November 07, 2009 01:28PM

Just tested that ad-blocking thing smiling smiley

It looks like those 3 variations have all the same effect, and it also shouldn't matter whether they are inserted in adblocking-css or usercontent-css:

div[id="t35ad"] { display: none !important; }
#t35ad {display: none ! important;}

I'm delighted to find this actually works, and for the Adblock-sheet even without restart, only toggle on/off Privacy-Adblock and reloading the page :-))

-------------------
Regarding user-agents for yahoo:
Don't remember exactly which thread this was (maybe this deer-hunting girl?), but it recently turned out yahoo accepts finally the KM default user agent smiling smiley Guenter may remember, he confirmed it there...

-----------------
Ads:
No go in my opinion. Perhaps *advanced* users may fiddle enough to block them, but can't imagine more than 10% of the users at best... And don't wanna know how many will consider those text-links as part of the site...

------------------
Frames:
Always wondered why people hate them, and every CSS tutorial strongly disadvise, and now I must join them, because my temporary stylesheets don't seem to work there! tongue sticking out smiley The usercontent.css works okay, but changing that one needs restarting the browser, so not very practical. Now this adblock-css seems to be the perfect compromise, can be toggled on/off on the fly, and works already when loading a page, with all frames, not only afterwards like the temp. stylesheets. If I find the time will try to compare the differences between those macros, will probably never get finished with that css stuff *sigh*

Thinking about it, I guess it had to do with search-engines, that frames are so strongly disadvised everywhere, they can index only the main frame (in this case just the logo)... And the top frame is giant for my taste... Perhaps a compromise would be to only have two frames, one left and right, on top just a normal banner, or an image in a table with the titles text beside it...? And I seem to have read long ago that it's possible to set one of the frames as the main frame, but not sure, don't really know anything about frames... Oh and there was this bookmarking problem, by default every "page" gets the same URL as bookmarks... (yes I kow how to open single frames and bookmark those, but how many people even notice...?)

----------------
domain name:
Personally I'd find something like km-howto.somewhere.com much easier to remember and wider known, but just my opinion smiling smiley

----------------
Content:
It seems to focus on CSS tricks - uh oh, extremely complicated topic, good luck with those ;-) I struggled with them too for weeks now, and sometimes they work, sometimes not, and every page reacts differently, groan.
One thing I definitely would add is a hint that the browser needs to be restarted for those changes take effect.

Date: November 07, 2009 08:08PM

siria
It looks like those 3 variations have all the same effect, and it also shouldn't matter whether they are inserted in adblocking-css or usercontent-css:

div[id="t35ad"] { display: none !important; }
#t35ad {display: none ! important;}

I have the "div#t35ad {display: none ! important;}" in my "userContent.css" file. That worked for the text adds. Did you see any big, colorful adds while you were testing? I did, and I finally got rid of them with Policies Manager by setting Javascript off for the site. I have written a new item to show how to use both things to nondisplay the adds. Give me a little time. Internet pipeline was down to my ISP all morning. I could get to the ISP but not to the internet. That put me several hours behind schedule.

Frames:
Always wondered why people hate them, and every CSS tutorial strongly disadvise

I don't know CSS. I have an old book on HTML3 so that is what I used.

Ads:
No go in my opinion. Perhaps *advanced* users may fiddle enough to block them, but can't imagine more than 10% of the users at best... And don't wanna know how many will consider those text-links as part of the site...

I could not get the other site to load. I just tried again and it was not found. I have created a new item which I will put first in the list . It has info on blocking add to the HDI site.

Content:
It seems to focus on CSS tricks

Just happened to be in recent threads.

domain name:
Personally I'd find something like km-howto.somewhere.com much easier to remember and wider known

I already tried that and it did not work. Something about special characters in the name. I think I had spaces between the words.

I am sure there is something to which I did not respond. I will check and see later.

Future plan is that if the other site works again, I will load there also and let users add items on that site. I can copy new items created there to my site and that means we have some security and backup available. This depends on the other site running again.

I think I will make a folder for image file. Might be easier to keep up with things that way.

Date: November 07, 2009 08:33PM

no, no problems with yahoo mail but you will need to have useragent as ff to be able to use their "all-new mail". disabling js wi;; limit compose/inbox access and accepting cookies from the originating site only will disable image previews in emails because yahoo sets cookies from a 3rd party ad componay calling adintrox something which they actually own. this is due to that yahoo wants to display ads related to the emails you have so it needs 'accept all cookies'

the test account name is kmeleontesters (do not add the @yahoo.co.uk part at login)
and the password is:
fuckyahoo

Posted by: foobarly
Date: November 07, 2009 08:36PM

I would advise for www.wikidot.com where one can get a really customizable free wiki with a password control and request system, plus an URL like kmhdisys.wikidot.com, which is far more memorable than the present one... been using it myself and I can't praise it enough. Lots of FLOSS projects around, too.

--- sig ---

Date: November 07, 2009 11:48PM

siria
The usercontent.css works okay, but changing that one needs restarting the browser, so not very practical.

I have added info in notes on each item that restarting is required. Thanks for pointing that out.

foobarly
wikidot.com

Sounds interesting. If I ever get caught up, maybe I can take a better look there. If someone wants to start something there, go ahead. I will be glad to add my code if it is desired.

How is "kmhdisys.wikidot.com/" more memorable than "kmhdisys.t35.com/"?

Date: November 10, 2009 02:49AM

sira
Perhaps a compromise would be to only have two frames, one left and right, on top just a normal banner, or an image in a table with the titles text beside it...?

I am trying to reduce the number of frames and use a banner for the title. <banner></banner> does not seem to work. I found it in my HTML3 book, but when I tried it, the banner text scrolled up with the rest of the page. In the software HTML4 manual that came with my AceHTML5 program, there is not mention of banner. There is marque but that is only for IE. Any idea how to make a banner?

@ disrupted

I still cannot reach http://kportal.clix5.com/ Do I have it correct? I just clicked on the link in http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,96906,98014,page=1#msg-98014

Date: November 10, 2009 08:29AM

@ JamesD:
You can use and modify my webpage code, look in my signature.

About kportal.clix5.com, link is correct but the server is offline from some days.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: November 10, 2009 11:38AM

desga2
You can use and modify my webpage code, look in my signature.

That is the method, frame at top, that I have now. I think I will just make my top frame smaller. Thanks

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: November 10, 2009 06:10PM

This can sound obvious, but, why don't you try to edit the already existing wiki of the K-meleon main webpage adding what is needed...?

Just a simple question.

Date: November 10, 2009 08:46PM

@ JohnHell

I can't find it with search, but recently there was some information that some part of sourceforge were to be deleted. I am not sure what or when.

Date: November 11, 2009 02:06PM

disrupted

I have gotten my id at Yahoo and tried the "New Mail". Your information is correct. I need one more piece of information before writting the item for HDI. I need the string value for user agent for spoofing FF3. I only have FF2 built-in. I suspect I should also have the directions for adding a new user agent to the list.

Update - edit

I think I found the FF3 info. I had a Ubuntu 9.1 on my test computer and it had FF3. I wrote down the user agent from there and then went I10n.js and made a change. I copied the two lines for FF2 and then edited them with the info from FF3. My extra user agent looks like:
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.name", "Firefox 3.5.4");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.4) Gecko/20091028 Firefox/3.5.4");

I used the new user agent and went to my Yahoo mail and I did not get a warning about Realplayer.

I have set up an ID on www.wikidot.com. When I figure out what their ftp is I will load HDI system there too. Once there, if I understand correctly, other users will be able to add/edit the items.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2009 02:39PM by JamesD.

Date: November 12, 2009 01:41PM

I have the item for using Yahoo’s new mail loaded in the HDI system. Disrupted, your synopsis of the info found throughout the forum was correct. I used that and tested with my Yahoo e-mail in both 1.5.3 and 1.1.6 versions of KM.

Sira, I was not able to reduce the number of frames. The tags, <banner> and </banner>, which I found in HTML 3 are no longer included in HTML 4. I was able to “clean up” the right side of the page to obtain more height for the items.

Date: November 12, 2009 02:20PM

The kportal site is still down. The wikidot site may be only for wiki style content. I don't think I can use it for a mirror to the t35 site.

Regarding having a sticky post and to which forum it should belong, I guess we need help from a moderator?

I still want a site where other users can add items. I am looking into that. Free sites that have advertisements usually are up. Free sites that don't have advertisements don't have a good business model.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Posted by: foobarly
Date: November 13, 2009 10:59AM

I beg to differ, I have been using wikidot forever for all kinds of things. You can set it for static pages, for blogging, for a forum(ish), or for a closed community site. There's plenty help around, check help while in page editing mode, and also the links on your admin area, and formatting is rather easy -- it gets plain HTML and the usual wiki lingo, with a few quirks.

Here's one lame example (written mostly in Portuguese): http://oss4lib.wikidot.com/

There are some limitations, but for most current uses, is one of the best free resources I've encountered.

PS: as for memorability, the difference is between a pronounceable word like 'wikidot' and an acronym like 't35'. You might think otherwise, but with a degree in communication I ought to know about this...

--- sig ---

Date: November 13, 2009 02:15PM

@ foobarly

You obviously have more information on wikidot that do I. I have an ID on the site, but have not set anything up yet. At least I don't think I have.

Do you think it would be better to to a wiki type site or a pure HTML site such as I have on t35? I would prefer not to lean another language myself, but since it would be a group site maybe I should not dictate that choice. If HTML was used, we could use the t35 site as a mirror.

I don't claim to be a great or even adequate communicator, so I bow to your obvious knowledge of the site name. At my age I don't do "memorability". I have notes as text files all through my computer and so many slips of paper under the keyboard, that will not lay flat anymore.

Suggestions and help on the "How Do I" system always appreciated.

By the way, the first item on system is directions to non-display the adds on t35.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.