General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Who do some people still prefer old versions??
Posted by: siria
Date: November 07, 2009 09:23AM

Okay, in order to not clutter too much the other thread with off-topic stuff, now an own thread for this ;-)

From here: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,97936

siria
Sorry off-topic, just curious: Why do still some people use old versions, I suppose there's a reason for it, but can't guess?

disrupted
the main difference between 1.1. and 1.5.x and what i think is the reason fr most who don't upgrade- is that 1.1.x used layers instead of real tabs..that's why on some old wikis, you will see tabs written in quotes "tabs". layers are not actual tabs but more like embedded windows inside one main window..they give you similar feel and function like tabs without being tabs originating in the exact same window.

the disadvantages of the layers approach was ... first, it didn't feel quite right and because it was sort of trickery it needed more macro and core coding to make then function like a tab and they had some feature limitations when compared to true tabs. however..there were some advantages as well.. because each "tab" was actually a window..it was like running in its own process..so it was stable .. something like what google chrome has invented with its tabs was already available with 1.1.x, firefox are also trying the same thing with a new project. also 1.1.x is very friendly to resources especially ram when compared to 1.5.x.. 1.1.x uses very little memory(that does not include flash hefty pages) but normal browsing.

also with 1.5.x, some macro commands have been changed and some even removed altogther (because there were no more layers..some commands specific to them were killed) and maybe some users don't want to lose their macro extensions.. that's what i think anyways.

..and fcourse some are just hoarders who find it hard to delete their old software for nostalgic reasons like me and gunter

but seriously for some it's very important to keep using 1.1.x.. especially if you want to compare bugs between the 2 versions or how a site displays etc

JohnHell
For the reasons for 1.1.x, even if I agree with a part of you speech, maybe you remember the rant I wrote time ago about some annoyances (not only the solved on this subforum). The mouse one the most. And as you said, I'm not in the way of coding again all my old macros. I started but quite annoying.

Well, several things that disappointed me about the 1.5.x version. I know that when the new version comes I'll try to switch again, but I'm not happy with new versions. You know, there is a known statement "if works, don't fix", and with new versions are being fixed things that didn't need a "fix" (aka rewritten) and losing functionalities. I don't like that. Simple as that.

Suggestion that you copy your above quotes in own postings here, to keep control, and I'll delete the quotes in this post again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why I sometimes still prefer(ed) old versions??
Posted by: guenter
Date: November 07, 2009 02:26PM

0.7.1 and 0.8.2+ Dorian's private static build.

Main reason why these two = nostalgia smiling smiley

To check - when pages come up with "get yourself a new browser - looser".
I spoof new browser string and check whether there'd be real technical reasons.
Normally there ain't none grinning smiley

Many older versions still exist since I have the habit to install under exact version name with profile in install dir for several reasons. If something is no good or an install fails I return to the previous install.

Newer is not always better. Or not better for all uses.

I used previous versions for specific reasons. E.g. I first did not know how to easily activate Roboform under 1.5, so I used an GRE updated 1.1.4 for sessions with Roboform password support for banking.

0.8.2+ was used for long besides 0.9 when it was still the fastest K-Meleon version. Much faster than any 0.9, until Dorian created experimental 0.9 with 1.8 GRE at the beginning of the development of 1.0. 0.8.2+ also had a mimetypes editor when 0.9 had none yet. I kept using a 0.9 with activeX support for music until I found the plugin to add that to 1.0. smiling smiley

0.8.2+ was good enough for long, I only changed mostly to 0.9 in 2005 when GREs started to need security updates. sad smiley I simply knew no way to update a static version since I cannot compile K-Meleon.exe.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2009 02:58PM by guenter.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 07, 2009 07:27PM

I write some macro code and the language changed a bit between 1.1.x and 1.5.x. I keep a 1.1.6 loaded with which to test.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 07, 2009 08:26PM

i also use .8.2 as preview browser for bbcode editor without the layers plugin so the preview always opens in the same window

Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 10, 2009 05:46AM

Guenter,

I used to keep multiple versions of km around (in particular 1.0.2, which was my regular browser until 1.5.3), but now the only one I keep around is the first one I used way back when. KM 0.6.

<wry grin>

N

Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 11, 2009 01:43AM

Guenter,

<<0.8.2+ was used for long besides 0.9 when it was still the fastest K-Meleon version. Much faster than any 0.9, until Dorian created experimental 0.9 with 1.8 GRE at the beginning of the development of 1.0. 0.8.2+ also had a mimetypes editor when 0.9 had none yet. I kept using a 0.9 with activeX support for music until I found the plugin to add that to 1.0. smiling smiley>>

Version 0.82 was very fast to my mind. I too used it for a long time. But I have to say that when I finally figured out (with lots of help here) how to use KM 1.5.3 macro language, I gave up the ghost on older versions of KM. As I don't do any development, I don't need to keep the older stuff around to test.

<g>

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.