how to change profile dir to relative path
Posted by: simon
Date: November 20, 2009 04:29AM

i mean , everytime i reinstall OS, my bookmark, gesture settings, and all settings lost, then i find my profile settings are in the C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx\Application Data\K-Meleon

how do i set K-memelon's profile settings to relative path,i mean k-meleon's own directory,so i dont need using this system Directory store k-meleon's profile settings, then after reinstall OS,i can still using my personal settings and bookmarks. that will keep k-meleon as portable

sorry for my bad english

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2009 04:31AM by simon.

Re: how to change profile dir to relative path
Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 20, 2009 04:39AM

simon
i mean , everytime i reinstall OS, my bookmark, gesture settings, and all settings lost, then i find my profile settings are in the C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx\Application Data\K-Meleon

how do i set K-memelon's profile settings to relative path,i mean k-meleon's own directory,so i dont need using this system Directory store k-meleon's profile settings, then after reinstall OS,i can still using my personal settings and bookmarks. that will keep k-meleon as portable

sorry for my bad english

Simon,

Do a fresh install of KM. DO not start up the browser, instead open up notepad and save an empty file to the program directory (Normally c:\program files\k-meleon) using this name:

profile.ini

Read about it here in the FAQ.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/ProfileLocation

N

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 20, 2009 06:02AM

To extend/repeat ndbord's good English explanation in bad English

(simon this forum is not the English but the international Forum, no need to excuse for bad English, so I write in German-English grinning smiley - with less new words).

Create a Portable / One User Profile.

1.) Create a file called profile.ini (can be an empty, "dummy" file)

./program files/k-meleon/profile.ini

2.) Create a folder called Profiles

./program files/k-meleon/Profiles/

3.) copy "etaqbqbo.default" (my profile name) or whatever it is called in Your Profiles from:

%apdata%/K-Meleon/profiles/"etaqbqbo.default"

to

./program files/k-meleon/Profiles/"etaqbqbo.default"

4.) copy profiles.ini

%apdata%/K-Meleon/profiles.ini

to

./program files/k-meleon/Profiles/profiles.ini

5) alter profiles.ini till it has this structure / value 0 becomes 1 for: IsRelative:

[Profile0]
Name=default
Path="etaqbqbo.default"
IsRelative=1
Default=1
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

Alternatively let K-Meleon set up like ndbord said. Start K-Meleon, K-Meleon creates a new profile with a correct Profiles.ini, delete the new Profile, copy the old one to its location from %apdata% and alter only this line/value of new Profiles.ini

Path=okltymab.default

to match the old name. All names are all from my system. You have other names.

p.s. On XP and other NT based system: You must grant each user writing rights to:

./program files/k-meleon/Profiles/"his own profile"

If You do not work as Administrator, grant writing rights to yourself. smiling smiley

BTW: The new K-Meleon including its profiles could be anywhere, it is portable.
I have mine on C:/K-Meleon1.5.3de-DE and on USB - and copies on 2 other PC on different locations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2009 06:08AM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: November 20, 2009 08:02AM

Many ways, same result grinning smiley
I'd try the following, not sure it's enough, but curious :cool:

- Open current profile directory in Windows File Explorer
(Edit/Configuration/Profile Directory). Leave that open to have the files ready for copying later

- Open the program folder (manually or via Edit/Configuration/Macros then go up one level), and create in it an empty file "profile.ini" (if it doesnt exist already)

- Restart browser. If it's not the own profile anymore - great, it worked as intended :-)
(If it's the own profile, there must be added that famous line with "relative" into the profile.ini, and restart)

- Open the new created profile (Edit/Configuration/Profile Directory), then copy/paste the contents of the old one (window should still be open) into the new fresh one (overwrite), and restart browser...

Date: November 20, 2009 02:00PM

Yes, IMHO this seems the easiest one. smiling smiley

I checked - etaqbqbo.default is not mentioned in my prefs.js.
I found no handicaps in prefs.js. Only relative paths. :O

Just let K-Meleon generate a new profile. And then copy the content of the old profile folder to the newly generated profile folder overwriting it. AFAICanSee it will work. eye rolling smiley

No editing required. That copy job is enough grinning smiley

p.s. I think I must have remembered my way from a previous version

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2009 02:04PM by guenter.

Date: November 20, 2009 07:36PM

I'm not going to remember that forever either, but incidentally I just recently experimented a bit with profiles, so at the moment it's still rather fresh smiling smiley The funny thing was, copying the "folder" over and renaming it, wasn't accepted - Profile not found by the browser! But copying "all contents" from inside the old folder into a new one (created by the program), that worked. No idea why, find it a bit crazy, but that's computers :-P Or perhaps it was just me, but never mind, the important thing to memorize is "copy only the contents" :cool:

set profile folder with absolute path
Posted by: Doon
Date: November 20, 2009 08:16PM

I'm reminded of something I've been meaning to mention, the official help page needs work.

See: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/ProfileLocation
Which is linked from the bottom of the Installation Guide page.

It speaks of profile.ini as if it's the only key file and makes no mention of profiles.ini in the profiles folder.

K-Meleon sat unused on my drive for months because of this and caused me a lot of frustration trying to get an absolute path to work. I refused to use the browser until I could isolate the profile data, I didn't want it on my C: drive (appdata) and I didn't want it in my K-Meleon folder either (relative). I like to isolate web browser cache and history to a drive partition dedicated to temporary files (I also prefer my swapfile on it's own partition), to isolate drive wear as well as eliminate fragmentation on my main partitions, it also makes the occasional cleanup easier.

When the instructions failed me I abandoned the browser, months later I searched the forum and found out about profiles.ini, finally enabling me to specify an absolute path that worked (thanks to Guenter). I originally started out with the .7z archive and not the installer, which probably didn't help matters.

The thread that helped me was this one:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,96699
I see most of the same faces here. :-)

The profile.ini in the K-Meleon folder is a required file, but if you try to define an absolute path in there (as the help page implies you can) nothing will happen!

The profiles.ini in the K-Meleon profiles folder is the functional one.

In a single user/portable context you can isolate profile data to a specified drive and folder by using a customized "profiles.ini" like this:

[Profile0]
Name=Meleonaire
Path=G:\kmdata
IsRelative=0
Default=1

"Name" is the profile name (as seen in the K-Meleon profiles manager).

"IsRelative" refers to the path and is set with a "1" (yes) or "0" (no). An absolute path requires a complete drive and folder path, a relative path does not (the profiles folder is known to be the root, thus everything is relative to that location).

In this absolute example "G:\" is the drive and "kmdata" is the profile folder. In a single user/portable context I believe the profile folder can be named anything you like, so in this case I renamed the profile folder originally generated by K-Meleon from "bvuqrxjx.default" to a more simple "kmdata", then moved it from it's original location and updated profiles.ini to reflect the changes. This may be an unusual method but it works for me, with version 1.5.3.

Also,
from: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,81524,81541#msg-81541

kko
Actually it's not complicated, it's just a bit difficult to explain (especially due to the confusing names profile.ini and profiles.ini). I have not yet found a simple and clear explanation, that's why I have not yet updated the ProfileLocation documentation.

Well, I guess all you need to know is that K-Meleon 1.5 has a new profile component (similar to the one of Firefox - or it even is the one of Firefox). In K-Meleon 1.5 the file profiles.ini is the profile pointer. In previous versions the file registry.dat is the profile pointer. The purpose of the profile pointer is to tell the browser what profiles exist and where they are located. In order to move or rename profile directories, just edit profiles.ini (registry.dat is synchronized automatically).

[Just to make confusion perfect: The profile.ini file that can be placed in the K-Meleon installation directory, is just a pointer to the profile pointer - it tells K-Meleon where to look for the actual profile pointer (profiles.ini or registry.dat).]

One of the advantages of the new system is portability. In order to get a portable installation of K-Meleon 1.5, you just need to uncheck the option "Multi-user profiles" when installing (or manually place a profile.ini in the installation directory). You can then just copy the installation directory to a USB stick - the installation will work whatever drive letter the stick may get.

edited for clarity

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2009 01:03PM by Doon.

Re: set profile folder with absolute path
Date: November 20, 2009 09:04PM

Oh....!! That explains why only "copy contents" worked for me. Very interesting as usual, thanx! grinning smiley

Re: set profile folder with absolute path
Date: November 21, 2009 09:20AM

Thx for explanation and especially for pointing me to kko's post.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.