General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: how secure is KMeleon now that Firefox is less safe?
Posted by: Lux
Date: December 23, 2009 09:22AM

I think it doesn't mean Firefox is the most unsafe browser just because it had the most vulnerabilities. Firefox is an open-source browser, that means many people can see its source code and look for bugs and vulnerabilities, and at the same time, there are a lot of people fixing those bugs and vulnerabilities. The bugs and vulnerabilities in Firefox can be fixed in a short amount of time. IE have fewer vulnerabilities found, but that doesn't mean IE is safer than Firefox.
What's important here is how long they take until they fix a vulnerability since the time it was found.
And Secuirty pretty much depends on what you do and prepare.

Currently, KM uses Gecko 1.8.1, which is I think, actually unsafe. But don't worry, there wouldn't be crackers(hackers) go through all the troubles just to attack browsers with gecko 1.8.1 that is no longer used by Firefox. I Guess You don't need to worry about how safe KM is. You should rather worry about how you act when you're browsing on the internet, or your pc's security like anti-virus software and stuff.

Options: ReplyQuote
bing maps work here with UA=default
Posted by: Soeren Bindinger
Date: December 23, 2009 03:20PM

Hi, Snuz2,
this is on K-M 1.5.3. Found this thread when bing maps wouldn't work right away. Don't know how to dis/enable svg, so I tried other things. The culprit had been Prefs->"Page Display"->Images->"Disallow scripts to change images", which I had ticked. Unticked, everything was fine - after, of course, I insisted to use this browser when asked to use another one.
I am new to K-M, after having read some hints about Firefoxes "NoScript", and I have to state that I am very impressed!
Have a nice time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.