Is it possible to make new Favorite folders WITHOUT having to restart K-Meleon?
Posted by: Hans Scriber
Date: December 06, 2009 02:59PM

Hi all :-)
I hope this is possible.
Basically, when sorting/organising etc my Favorites I want to be able to create a new folder and ever a subfolder in that new folder and not have to restart K-Meleon. Is that possible? Please help.
Thanks.

Re: Is it possible to make new Favorite folders WITHOUT having to restart K-Meleon?
Posted by: Kleon
Date: December 06, 2009 05:05PM

Go to Bookmarks > Edit, right-click on a folder and select 'New Folder'. No need to restart K-Meleon.

Re: Is it possible to make new Favorite folders WITHOUT having to restart K-Meleon?
Posted by: Kleon
Date: December 06, 2009 05:28PM

Sorry for a small misunderstanding.

Well, no, that basically isn´t possible, since your Internet Explorer Favorites are not stored in your K-Meleon profile, but elsewhere, and linked to K-Meleon through a plugin. Therefore, you must edit Favorites either in IE or Windows Explorer, or you may want to use Netscape Bookmarks, which are edited the way I explained earlier.

Posted by: desga2
Date: December 06, 2009 06:26PM

Yes it's possible but with this macro tip:
# K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage)
#
# ---------- Reload the Favorites list without restart ----------------------------------
#
# Dependencies		: Favorites Plugin
# Resources			: -
# Preferences		: -
# Version			: 1.0
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
Reload_Fav{
macroinfo="Reload Favorites list";
$_favdir=getpref(STRING,"kmeleon.plugins.favorites.directory");
plugin(favorites,"AddLink");
exec("cmd.exe /q /c del \"".$_favdir.".url\"");
}

_Reload_IE_Fav_BuildMenu{
# New menu option in Favorites to reload:
$kFavorites?setmenu("F&avorites",macro,_("Reload"),"Reload_Fav",2):0;
}

$OnInit=$OnInit."_Reload_IE_Fav_BuildMenu;";
$macroModules=$macroModules."Reload_IE_Fav;";

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: jsnj
Date: December 07, 2009 06:06AM

desga2
Yes it's possible but with this macro tip:

Is it possible to get it to work without adding those blank favorites? They end up being listed as [1],[2] etc...

Date: December 07, 2009 08:02AM

No, it isn't possible, this need implement a reload option in Favorites plugin code.
But to solved this blank favorite file I added this line in macro code that delete it:

exec("cmd.exe /q /c del \"".$_favdir.".url\"");

This work to me, not work this for you?
Is possible your Firewall or Antivir is blocked this deletion.
Also if you are using Win9x cmd.exe isn't found.
As JamesD posted here, you can try to replace "cmd.exe" by "command" in Win9x.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 08:16AM by desga2.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 07, 2009 12:23PM

@ desga2

I am still seeing odd items listed as [1],[2], etc after using the macro. I am using KM 1.5.3 on Win XP-SP3. I have a blank for $_favdir variable. Should there be an environment variable to point to the Favorites folder? Does the extra item have an empty name or is the name [1]?

Date: December 07, 2009 01:48PM

Can you check in about:config your pref value for:
kmeleon.plugins.favorites.directory
This is the Favorites folder selected to KM Favorites Plugin ($_favdir var in the code).
The file generated is ".url" and in after sucesion of reload this is incremental because it already exist:
"[1].url", "[2].url", ...

In my system Win2K work fine.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 02:58PM by desga2.

Date: December 07, 2009 06:17PM

@ desga2

That pref, kmeleon.plugins.favorites.directory, does not exist on my system.

Date: December 07, 2009 07:50PM

@ desga2

I made some changes and got the macro, plus a bat file, working on my system. There does not seem to be an environment variable for Favorites so I had to come up with a way to get there. That is what the bat file is all about.

Reload_IE_Fav.kmm

# K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage)
#
#            Reload_IE_Fav.kmm
# ---------- Reload the Favorites list without restart ---------------------------
#
# Resources			: Reload_IE_Fav.bat
# Preferences		: -
# Version			: 2.0
# Authors           : desga2 and JamesD
# --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
Reload_Fav{
$_favdir=getpref(STRING,"kmeleon.plugins.favorites.directory");
exec("\"".$_Reload_IE_Fav_PathBat."\"");
}

}

_Reload_IE_Fav_GetPathBat{
$__DataB=readfile(getfolder(MacroFolder)."\\Reload_IE_Fav.bat");
$_Reload_IE_Fav_PathBat=getfolder($__DataB==""?UserMacroFolder:MacroFolder)."\\Reload_IE_Fav.bat";
}

$OnStartup=$OnStartup."_Reload_IE_Fav_GetPathBat;";

End of the kmm code

Reload_IE_Fav.bat

cd \
cd %APPDATA%
cd ..
cd FAVORITES
erase [*].url
erase .url

Date: December 07, 2009 11:20PM

Now I know what was the problem, in my test I had this line of code in my macro:
plugin(favorites,"Config");
And this line added the above old pref with default value.
In KM 1.5.x this pref not exist by default because KM read the Favorites path from Windows Regitry.
Default:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Favorites
User defined:
HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Favorites

For example:
$_favdir=getpref(STRING,"kmeleon.plugins.favorites.menuFolder");
$_favdir==""? $_favdir=readreg(HKCU,"Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\User Shell Folders\\Favorites"):0;

To my macro works fine in old code you must set your Favorites folder path in Preferences (F2) -> K-Meleon Plugins -> IE Favorites -> Favorites Menu -> "Menu Folder" option. Now the macro code autodetected if no setting your default Favorites folder.

#
# ---------- Reload the Favorites list without restart ----------------------------------
#
# Preferences		: kmeleon.plugins.favorites.menuFolder
# Version			: 1.2
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
Reload_Fav{
$_favdir=getpref(STRING,"kmeleon.plugins.favorites.menuFolder");
$_favdir==""? $_favdir=readreg(HKCU,"Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\User Shell Folders\\Favorites"):0;
exec("cmd.exe /q /c del \"".$_favdir."\\.url\"");
# For Win9x use this other line instead above line:
#exec("command /q /c del \"".$_favdir."\\.url\"");
}

}

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2009 12:11AM by desga2.

Date: December 08, 2009 03:06AM

Was still not deleting the blank favorites. Problem seemed to be that the path isn't specified when the string from "kmeleon.plugins.favorites.menuFolder" is returned. The following seems to fix it:

Reload_Fav{
$_favdir=readreg(HKCU,"Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\User Shell Folders\\Favorites");
$_favdir==""?$_favdir=readreg("HKLM","Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Shell Folders\\Favorites"):0;

$_favmenu=getpref(STRING,"kmeleon.plugins.favorites.menuFolder");
$_favmenu==""?"": $_favdir=$_favdir . "\\" . $_favmenu;

}

Date: December 08, 2009 01:05PM

It isn't problem of my code is a bug in IE Favorites kplugin.
Next folder preferences aren't read by the plugin, it ever use Favorites system default/user default in windows registry:
kmeleon.plugins.favorites.menuFolder (Favorites Menu tab)
kmeleon.plugins.favorites.newitemFolder (General tab)

Possibly Favorites plugin continue read the old preference, that now not exist:

Also when you change this values in Preference panel (Favorites -> Options...) you must type all path because "Browse..." option not work. (Selected folder in "Browse..." isn't fill in folder box option and preference panel not modify the pref)

Can someone confirm this bug and report it as Favorites plugin bug?
And do an improvement requests to add a "Reload" option in Favorites plugin.

Thanks

P.S. (I hate Favorites) tongue sticking out smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2009 01:10PM by desga2.

Date: December 08, 2009 07:03PM

desga2
It isn't problem of my code is a bug in IE Favorites kplugin.
Next folder preferences aren't read by the plugin, it ever use Favorites system default/user default in windows registry:
kmeleon.plugins.favorites.menuFolder (Favorites Menu tab)
kmeleon.plugins.favorites.newitemFolder (General tab)

Possibly Favorites plugin continue read the old preference, that now not exist:

Also when you change this values in Preference panel (Favorites -> Options...) you must type all path because "Browse..." option not work. (Selected folder in "Browse..." isn't fill in folder box option and preference panel not modify the pref)

Can someone confirm this bug and report it as Favorites plugin bug?

Those prefs do work for me. My Favorites menu & new item folder are both sub-folders of the main favorites folder and are correctly displayed in the UI. However those prefs display the name of the folder only. No path is displayed. So I guess the macro plugin defaults to the main KM directory looking for that folder when there's no path specified? Not sure, but I can't confirm the favorites plugin bug. "Browse" sets those prefs correctly for me.

Date: December 08, 2009 09:36PM

Thanks jsnj, now I understand how work Favorites plugin.
You are right, the preferences setting only save the subfolder name under the Favorites folder that you selected.
Your macro code is correct.
Final code:
#
#
# Preferences		: kmeleon.plugins.favorites.menuFolder
# Version			: 2.0
# Authors           : desga2, JamesD and jsnj
#
Reload_Fav{
$_favdir=readreg(HKCU,"Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\User Shell Folders\\Favorites");
$_favdir==""?$_favdir=readreg(HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Favorites"):0;
$_favmenu=getpref(STRING,"kmeleon.plugins.favorites.menuFolder");
$_favmenu==""?0:$_favdir=$_favdir . "\\" . $_favmenu;
}

}

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: December 09, 2009 10:43AM

Many thanks to desga2 and jsnj. This macro works quite well.

Posted by: siria
Date: December 28, 2009 01:47AM

GREAT, Thank you grinning smiley
I'm going to include that in the zip of kko's Favorites macro from 2005 that I just updated for 1.5, and while experimenting, realized that win98 doesn't delete the reload-dummy-favorites. It seem to work though if there's a ".com" after the command :-)
#exec("command.com /q ...etc...

Date: December 29, 2009 02:51AM

Did quite some more experimenting, while trying to get that stupid flashing black DOS window hidden tongue sticking out smiley No chance so far, too clueless, grmpf, but noticed something more:
Shouldn't that be
kmeleon.plugins.favorites.newitemFolder instead of menuFolder? ;-)

And it seems, if one sets a non-existing folder for newitems, newly added favorites land in nirwana. That missing folder isn't created. Which could have been a nice workaround, but alas path changes for new items need a browser restart, so no tricksing with quickly switching paths during macro execution, too bad ;-P The macro would take the new path instantly, but the favorites.dll throws new favorites still into the path defined at browser restart.

Ah yes, and the newitem-folder must not be a sub-sub-folder, that gives me an error. Perhaps only win98, well possible, it always had some path finding probs with the KM-favorites.

Date: December 29, 2009 09:00AM

If anyone could find a way to avoid that black DOS window flashing in Win98 please tell... ;-) I have no clue how to insert that echo-off thing into the macro, always syntax probs...

Not 100% sure, but this seems to work as an automatic win-version switch?
$_winver=readreg(HKLM,"Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\VersionNumber");
$_winver=""? $_winfam="winNT" : $_winfam="win9x" ;
$_winfam=="winNT" ? exec("cmd.exe /q /c del \"".$_favdir."\\.url\"") : exec("command.com /c del \"".$_favdir."\\.url\"");

And this also finds the favorites path, I find it a bit easier, there's only a little problem: In the prefs, the fav-folder path ends with "\", but the newitem-folder path not :-/
$_favdir=getpref(STRING,"kmeleon.plugins.favorites.directory").getpref(STRING,"kmeleon.plugins.favorites.newitemFolder");

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 07:43PM by siria.

Date: December 29, 2009 06:20PM

EDIT:
*majorgroan* and OOPS... Slightly belated but now working my way through the macro history in this thread - so that favorite path isn't anymore in the prefs by default? Grmpff...

Edit2: Still trying to understand all this, and what's funny, one can still use that old pref to define a custom favorites folder, which is different from the IE-one! It has the highest priority if it exists, and for every profile one could use another, just like with bookmarks and hotlist.

A quick summary of the prefs (because in a week I'll have it forgotten again tongue sticking out smiley):

kmeleon.plugins.favorites.directory : Full path, alas with \ at the end
kmeleon.plugins.favorites.newitemFolder : Only folder name, no path, no \ at end
kmeleon.plugins.favorites.menuFolder : dto.

The menu-folder is the one shown in the toolbar, if enabled, no use in refreshing.

The newitem-folder is where new faves are tossed in by the dll. This pref seems to vanish, if none is set.

The directory-folder (with full path) has priority over Registry, if it exists. Secret tip today, not mentioned in menus or configs otherwise (unless I've overlooked it).

At some point the "Browse" button didn't work for me either, but no clue why now it works again...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 01:19PM by siria.

Re: Is it possible / Registry path favorites folder + windows family
Date: December 30, 2009 07:05PM

Uhm, something more, regarding readreg, my win98 can only read that if it has double \\... One of the readreg lines above has double \\, the next only single \ ;-)

Ah yes, and if the path would be loaded on setup only, then a user can change his newitems folder and forget to restart the browser, and the macro still works.

-----------------------------------------------------
Okay, it's tedious tongue sticking out smiley but I've now checked myself those endless reg-paths
on win98se, xp-home and vista-business.

windows family in registry:
----------
HKLM,"Software\\Microsoft\[b]Windows[/b]\\CurrentVersion\\VersionNumber": "4.10.2222"
HKLM,"Software\\Microsoft\[b]WindowsNT[/b]\\CurrentVersion": -- (no keys with any version)
----------
HKLM,"Software\\Microsoft\[b]Windows[/b]\\CurrentVersion": -- (no keys with any version)
HKLM,"Software\\Microsoft\[b]WindowsNT[/b]\\CurrentVersion\\CurrentVersion": "5.1"/"6.0"
----------

Favorites path in registry:

Whether user-set or default, the path is always in "Shell Folders", and in clear text! smiling smiley
HKCU,"Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Shell Folders\\Favorites": "c:\....\Favorites"

In the "USER Shell Folders" is always the identical path as above, but in XP and Vista with variables:
%userprofile%\....\Favorites
Except in Windows98, there "User Shell Folders" contains only the customized entries, others are simply missing.

Since the favorites are always in "HKCU....Shell Folders", if the user changed anything or not, I'd just stick with that one...
Other paths don't make too much sense, e.g.:
In HKLM\...\User shell\Common Favorites: %alluserprofiles%\....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 10:57PM by siria.

Date: December 31, 2009 05:05PM

@ siria

Your research is much appreciated. I never noticed that favorites could be anywhere other than the standard place that IE put them. I will have a look at FavRenAdd again to see what changes I can make to increase its usefulness.

Which version of FavRenAdd are you using? I had both an ASCII version and an international version.

My son has gotten me a machine with Win 98 on it. If I can remember how to do things on 98, I will try to test there as well as on my XP box. I have to set up the modem as that unit does not have a NIC card.

Hope everyone has a happy new year.

Date: December 31, 2009 06:27PM

I am having problems with the Win 98 box. I will have to work on that.

I do not understand how to have favorites anywhere except the standard place. When I use EDIT - PREFERENCES - K-MELEON PLUGINS - IE FAVORITES and try to set the favorites menu ( menu folder ) to anyplace not favorites or a sub-folder of favorites, nothing remains in that text area. There is something I am missing, but I just don't know what.

Date: December 31, 2009 06:28PM

Thank you James smiling smiley
Uhm, where to go now... I've already commented on FavRenAdd yesterday in the thread where it was last modified:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?4,81881

As mentioned there, it's already supporting independant folder paths defined in the prefs, even on win98, there's only that tiny little problem with the trailing "\" at the end of that path. If you figure out how to remove that automatically from the variable, all will work perfectly, incl. portable favorites, if set grinning smiley

The only other "improvements" I could think about (apart from reloading) should rather be in the KM config sheet, that is a clear option to use favorites either shared with IE, or independant :cool:

I must use the international version, although I'm on win98 and intentionally don't use special characters or blanks in folder- and file names, well, usually, but may well be that the one or other favorites title with pre-set special characters escapes me ;-)
Anyhow, the international version works fine, although the error console gives 5 errors in line 41 of the js-file. But when using the ascii-version, which does NOT produce any errors in the console, the js-file messes completely, errors in scripting host, favorites are not saved, and if I try it a couple times the whole machine freezes.

EDIT:
Oh, what you're missing is just that pref:
It must be added manually, obviously it was removed intentionally from the config sheets - pity! But still works fine, if someone knows this tongue sticking out smiley Btw, you can test with simply removing the last \ there, which works for ADDING, only afterwards you cannot OPEN the favorites folder without \ ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2009 06:32PM by siria.

Date: December 31, 2009 09:08PM

siria
Anyhow, the international version works fine, although the error console gives 5 errors in line 41

Small steps first. There were too many pairs of quotes around "execute" in line 41. Replace line 41 with the following code.
exec("wscript.exe \"".$_FavRenAdd_Path."\" 3 \"execute\"") ;

edit
I just saw the other thread and these are done. Guess I must put all these threads in my hotlinks. I am slow, but I will get to all this stuff sometime.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2009 09:16PM by JamesD.

Date: December 31, 2009 10:30PM

(have posted the FavRenAdd stuff in the other thread)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2010 01:11AM by siria.

Date: January 01, 2010 10:02PM

Okay, the following concerns only the reload function again. I did some modifications and would now really, really like to include it "inline" in the other macro from http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,99856 (which uses the native IE-link-adder). If it's okay with you?? smiling smiley
To avoid duplicates in the menu, I've included a condition not to add "this" refresh entry if "Reload_IE_Fav" is already contained in $macromodules. There's also no "refresh" entry if the user has set an independant favorites folder, not the one shared with IE. Because the other macro can only write in the IE folder anyway, so refreshing another wouldn't make much sense.

_Fav_IE_Add_paths{
# (path on setup only, otherwise refresh bug if user changes folders without restart)
$_favdirpref=getpref(STRING,"kmeleon.plugins.favorites.directory");
$_favdirreg=readreg("HKCU","Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Shell Folders\\Favorites")."\\";
$_favdirpref=="" ? $_favdir1=$_favdirreg : $_favdir1=$_favdirpref ;
$_favdirpref=="" ? $_Fav_IE_Add_refresh=="true" : 0 ;
$_favdirpref==$_favdirreg ? $_Fav_IE_Add_refresh=="true" : 0 ;

$_favdir2=getpref(STRING,"kmeleon.plugins.favorites.newitemFolder");
$_favdir2=="" ? 0 : $_favdir2=gsub("/","\\",$_favdir2)."\\" ;		
$_Fav_IE_Add_dummy=$_favdir1.$_favdir2.".url" ;

$_winfam=readreg(HKLM,"Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\VersionNumber")=="" ? "winNT" : "win9x" ;
}

Fav_IE_Add_Refresh{
# in case there's a link highlighted (Does anyone know how to UNselect a link by macro??)
$LinkURL=="" ? plugin(favorites,"AddLink") : alert("Can't refresh: Please click in page to unselect link") ;
$_winfam=="winNT" ? exec("cmd.exe /q /c del \"".$_Fav_IE_Add_dummy."\"") : exec("command.com /c del \"".$_Fav_IE_Add_dummy."\"") ;
}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2010 10:17PM by siria.

Date: January 01, 2010 11:10PM

@ siria: You can use;
id(ID_EDIT_SELECT_NONE);

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: slayer
Date: January 01, 2010 11:19PM

desga, can you please tell me where to find a list of those id() commands, and how to use them, thanks a lot and happy new year!

Date: January 02, 2010 12:20AM

Thanks desga! I tried it:
id(ID_EDIT_SELECT_NONE);
But unfortunately didn't help. Perhaps because there's nothing really highlighted with a background, there's only that thin dotted line around a link, after having right-clicked it and done any action... It doesn't seem quite easy to get rid of that dotted line, have tried a couple things just clicking around on my keyboard, but except reloading nothing found so far...

slayer, that comprehensive commands-and-everything list that desga has updated is included in the unofficial update to gecko 1.8.1.23, if that's installed that list can be found under Edit>Configuration>Commands List.
But without that gecko update he has also posted an online version smiling smiley
http://two.xthost.info/kmeleon/lizard/commands.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2010 12:30AM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.