General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
An Internet Explorer Feature taht might cause me t
Posted by: Joshua Prowse
Date: June 08, 2001 12:52AM

http://public.wsj.com/sn/y/SB991862595554629527.html

Microsoft is planning to take OfficeXPs smart tags to internet explorer, esentially introducing advertising into web pages by make 'key words' on web pages that you view into links to Microsoft's pages. The feature will be optional in IE6, but the day that there is no option to turn it off I'll certainly turn to the greener pastures of another company's product. It's only because they have a huge market share that they could consider implementing such a feature that is sure to turn off many users.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: An Internet Explorer Feature taht might cause
Posted by: lomoian
Date: June 11, 2001 04:08PM

Would HTML filtering software take care of this kind of thing?? (e.g. proximotron or web washer). I suppose It can't without actually removing any of the keywords from the HTML document, which would damage content integrity. I think that the MANY security bugs that have been present in IE means greener pastures have been necesary for the last couple of years. This is another nail in an already tightly closed coffin for me. It makes me sad that most people will not understand this. The internet is slowly becoming dominated more and more by big Corperations. I fear the selective editing of internet content by AOL Netscape MSN etc. will weaken any of the potential benefits to free speech, and if microsoft dominates the browser market, it will use it's internet portal to selectively channel content to consumers...... This is why browser software is actually important on a more global perspective...

Posted by: paddy
Date: June 13, 2001 05:02AM

There's some tag that can be inserted into the HTML code to prevent this and I think you can be pretty sure that most webmasters will use it.

There have also been discussions about if MS legally can do this. Since they are intruding on the site's space so to speak, the owner could theoretically bill them for the "advertising". smiling smiley

I think www.browserwatch.com have some links to articles about this.

Date: June 24, 2001 04:00AM

As a webmaster, I'm not sure if I should legitamize this technology by including a meta tag to deactive it.
1. It will be turned off by default so that only users who want it will turn it on
2. If users actually want to turn it on, should I be forcing them to turn it off?
3. Should I waste bandwidth for all users to address a minority of users (Internet Explorer 6)

I haven't installed a build of IE6 yet that has this feature.

Posted by: lib
Date: June 28, 2001 07:09AM

Hello,
this is the issue which has brought me to this site. I'm looking for a windows based browser which is faster than netscape and just plain not as devious as the upcoming IE browser. Once I find a browser that I'm happy with, I'm going to do everything I can to spread the word on the internet and coax people away from IE (which in many cases won't be too hard,) and I'm going to tell everyone I meet to do the same.
I hope this isn't too stupid a question but is kmelion non microsoft related and fast enough to be practical? I just can't use netscape, it kills me it's so slow.thanks.

Lib

Date: June 28, 2001 07:16AM

Hello,
this is the issue which has brought me to this site. I'm looking for a windows based browser which is faster than netscape and just plain not as devious as the upcoming IE browser. Once I find a browser that I'm happy with, I'm going to do everything I can to spread the word on the internet and coax people away from IE (which in many cases won't be too hard,) and I'm going to tell everyone I meet to do the same.
I hope this isn't too stupid a question but is kmelion non microsoft related and fast enough to be practical? I just can't use netscape, it kills me it's so slow.thanks.

Lib

Date: June 28, 2001 07:17AM

Hello,

Lib

Hello,

Lib

Hello,

Lib

Date: June 28, 2001 07:18AM

Hello,

Lib

Date: June 28, 2001 07:33AM

Hello,

Lib

Date: July 08, 2001 04:21AM

What's wrong with the board's script that would cause those additional message to appear. I firmly belive that this board should be run on a better an most established message board script that already includes much additional functionality such as preventing users from posting multiple times within a specified time limit to prevent what has ocurred above.

I don't think that anyone is saying that kmeleon is a production-ready browser at the moment. It's certainly not ready to become anyone's default browser. Personally, I'm unsure if it will ever replace IE as my default browser. However, I find it very usefull for testing web pages that I create to make sure that they are compatible with the Mozilla rendering engine.

And who knows, if kmeleon includes many more features it may one day replace Internet Explorer for me. However, that would require, for me at least, adding a lot to Mozilla. For example, I like IE5s advanced save dialogue box which goves you options such as complete page (whcih creates a folder with images and scripts), single file (which uses a proprietary file format to store the images and HTML and javascript, etc. in the same file), etc.

It does not appear that such features will be implemented in Mozilla for quite a long while.

Re: An Internet Explorer Feature that might cause
Date: July 08, 2001 04:21AM

What's wrong with the board's script that would cause those additional message to appear. I firmly belive that this board should be run on a better an most established message board script that already includes much additional functionality such as preventing users from posting multiple times within a specified time limit to prevent what has ocurred above.

I don't think that anyone is saying that kmeleon is a production-ready browser at the moment. It's certainly not ready to become anyone's default browser. Personally, I'm unsure if it will ever replace IE as my default browser. However, I find it very usefull for testing web pages that I create to make sure that they are compatible with the Mozilla rendering engine.

And who knows, if kmeleon includes many more features it may one day replace Internet Explorer for me. However, that would require, for me at least, adding a lot to Mozilla. For example, I like IE5s advanced save dialogue box which goves you options such as complete page (whcih creates a folder with images and scripts), single file (which uses a proprietary file format to store the images and HTML and javascript, etc. in the same file), etc.

It does not appear that such features will be implemented in Mozilla for quite a long while.

Date: July 08, 2001 04:23AM

Posted by: Brian
Date: July 08, 2001 08:59PM

the problem happens when people click "post" more than once. only click "post" once, and the message will only appear once.

K-Meleon is my default browser. I only switch to netscape 4.7 if I need to see java (rarely) or SSL (more frequently). for general browsing, K-Meleon is the one for me.

The "advanced save dialogue" that you describe is aleady in version 0.4

Posted by: po
Date: July 09, 2001 12:55AM

connecting to this site seems to be a little bit difficult at times... at least for me... this may be one reason people hit the 'post' button multiple times; sometimes after you hit it, nothing happens for a long time.

can you really expect patience from people who are here looking for the 'fastest-browser-on-earth'? ;-)

Posted by: Brian
Date: July 09, 2001 02:18AM

I just hit post, then hit back to see the main list again.

Date: July 10, 2001 03:54AM

Connecting to the site is most definently an issue. A couple fo weeks past I was attempting to have someone download kmeleon and they weren't even able to bring up the home page! Additionally, there's an issue with why the browser appears to have a "dash" in its name, but the domain doesn't.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.