Graphics :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon icons, skins and throbbers. 
Mainbar missing in 1.6.0
Posted by: Ronery
Date: July 13, 2011 04:14PM

Hi all,

I just upgraded from 1.5.4 to 1.6.0 since I wanted to use Adblock. Now the mainbar is missing. I've downloades the skins for 1.6.0, but the layout stays the same, only background color / image change. I've tried changing toolbars.cfg and visibility in about:config but nothing happens. Some pointer in the right direction would be appreciated!

thankx
/R

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2011 04:17PM by Ronery.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mainbar missing in 1.6.0
Posted by: siria
Date: July 13, 2011 04:22PM

Hmm, not sure. This?
F2 > Toolbars > Hide menu bar

Or this?
View > Toolbars > Main bar (toggling in about:config doesn't suffice. If you did, you possible have to click the menu 2x now?)

Or is it simply slid behind another toolbar, and only a litte piece of it is visible yet?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2011 04:34PM by siria.

Date: July 13, 2011 05:23PM

siria
Hmm, not sure. This?
F2 > Toolbars > Hide menu bar

Or this?
View > Toolbars > Main bar (toggling in about:config doesn't suffice. If you did, you possible have to click the menu 2x now?)

Or is it simply slid behind another toolbar, and only a litte piece of it is visible yet?

Thanx for speedy reply!

Strangely enough "Hide menu bar" makes no difference, and on the view>toolbars menu, there is only Adblock and URL bar.

I have also tried dragging everything around, but doesn't seem to have slid behind any other toolbar sad smiley

Date: July 13, 2011 06:51PM

Ronery
on the view>toolbars menu, there is only Adblock and URL bar.

Oh! I know that... :cool:
It probably means there is a macro (kmm) that contains some pesky little syntax error. Well, just a possibility, since that happened to me quite often while building macros. If it's true in your case too, your tools menu is probably half empty too, and privacy menu??

Copy and paste this URL, with some luck it shows the error console:
chrome://console2/content/console2.xul
You must click on the KMM-button to see macro error messages.

Then again, perhaps first try the most obvious and test a new default profile:
Edit > Manage Profiles > Ask at startup
Restart browser, then choose to create a NEW profile.
Your old profile isn't lost, you can switch back to it at every new start. Multiple profiles are very simple with KM.

Since you say you just switched over to KM1.6, you probably have inherited your old profile from KM1.5.4, therefore it's possible that something in it isn't quite compatible with KM1.6 yet.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2011 07:01PM by siria.

Date: July 13, 2011 08:59PM

siria
Ronery
on the view>toolbars menu, there is only Adblock and URL bar.

Oh! I know that... :cool:
It probably means there is a macro (kmm) that contains some pesky little syntax error. Well, just a possibility, since that happened to me quite often while building macros. If it's true in your case too, your tools menu is probably half empty too, and privacy menu??

Copy and paste this URL, with some luck it shows the error console:
chrome://console2/content/console2.xul
You must click on the KMM-button to see macro error messages.

Then again, perhaps first try the most obvious and test a new default profile:
Edit > Manage Profiles > Ask at startup
Restart browser, then choose to create a NEW profile.
Your old profile isn't lost, you can switch back to it at every new start. Multiple profiles are very simple with KM.

Since you say you just switched over to KM1.6, you probably have inherited your old profile from KM1.5.4, therefore it's possible that something in it isn't quite compatible with KM1.6 yet.
Tools menu goes like this:
Tools>websearch / privacy>permissions /view data

The error console is completely blank, no messages no nothing. Is this normal?
I restarted with a new profile, but it's just as before.
About inheriting an old profile; I deleted the original installation folder before reinstalling. Actually, first I installed 1.6.0, and I got the problems I have now, uninstalled it (deleted the installation folder) and installed 1.5.4, but then Adblock didn't work, and finally uninstalled 1.5.4 and deleted installation folder, which brings us up to this current point. I also have Firefox 2.0.0.9 installed. The OS is a nLite XP SP3 install, with basically everything removed (even IE core removed), could this have to do with the problem?

Date: July 13, 2011 10:01PM

If you deleted the "installation folder", that doesn't necessarily mean that you also deleted your profile. That's only true if you had the portable version. Otherwise your profile is elsewhere, in your windows user folder (appdata). But okay, if you tried a new profile now, that rules it out.

So we're back to some macro as culprit... Those actually land by default in the installation folder, although most can also be placed into the profile folder (user macros). And the only optional macro you installed was probably adblock? Perhaps there is some problem.

But just dawning on me, there's another possibility: It could be vcredist related. Does a brandnew 7z-installation in a new empty folder work okay for you? If not, look at the download page, right below the 1.6beta download is a line: "If you have problems..." :cool:

Date: July 14, 2011 06:00AM

siria
If not, look at the download page, right below the 1.6beta download is a line: "If you have problems..." :cool:

I'm sorry for my ignorance, it was the missing VS2005 Redistributable that caused the problem! One day I will learn to read winking smiley
Thanks for the help!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.