Graphics :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon icons, skins and throbbers. 
Icons instead of text
Posted by: Robert
Date: November 16, 2011 04:39PM

Hello i´m started to use KM 1.54 instead of FF (RAM-ressources) and i have arranged my toolbars for minimalistic space. Now i´m looking for an solution how to show icons instead of text in the menubar (File, Edit, View .....)

Thanks, plaidon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Icons instead of text
Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 16, 2011 06:43PM

It is possible with a macro. I have included a demo. It has only two items, but you can see how it goes.

Some limitations: Only one button per bar using macros. Buttons are identified by the command name, not the button name. Drag handles for bars are visible.

You can turn off the menu display in EDIT - PREFERENCES - GUI APPEARANCE - TOOLBARS.

This is not the only way to do this. You could edit the file "toolbars.cfg" in the skin that you are using.

Edit:

This seems to work in toolbars.cfg. I put new code right after &Main Bar.

&Main Bar{

File{
	&File|&File 
	Right click for File Menu
	file_manager.bmp[0]
	file_manager.bmp[0]
	file_manager.bmp[0]
	}

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 08:59PM by JamesD.

Attachments: MenuButtonDemo.7z (1.5 KB)  
Date: November 17, 2011 08:27AM

Ok, i found the Options ID_PREFERENCES Button in the Phoenity-Skin (delete the #) smiling smiley
and i turnd off the menu display.
But now my next thing is, that left-mouseclick opens the Preferences-menu (like press F2) and the right-mouseclick shows the (Under-)Menu.
I would like to have it vice versa, so left-shows Menu and right-opens menu.
The same with the Bookmarks-Button!

The reason is simple, all the other Buttons in the Bars are used by left-mouseclick, so if you work you have always to think, Options and Favorites i need right-mouseclick.

Thanks for any further ideas, robert.

Date: November 17, 2011 08:54PM

I am not sure exchange of functions for right/left click is possible. I did some testing. I found that in the first line of the button specification in toolbars.cfg cannot swap functions left and right.

A single left click will run the command ID or macro that is on the left side of the "|" character. A single right click will run the menu on the right side. I currently have not discovered a way for a macro to display a menu. That does not mean it is not possible. I just don't know how.

Another thing that I found was that a slightly longer left click will display the menu that is to the right of the "|" character. I changed my file to show "dummy|&File" from "&File|&File" and it made no change in the operation of the button. Neither &File or dummy is a command ID or a macro. It is the name of a menu.

I am not sure how helpful this information is to you. Keep us informed of your progress.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Date: November 20, 2011 07:57PM

I have done more research. Below is a way to put all menus under one icon on the toolbar. You can then turn off the menu bar.

Note: You may have bookmarks instead of favorites.

Put somewhere in main bar. EDIT - CONFIGURATION - TOOLBARS

Menus{
	Dummy|&Menus 
	Right click for Menus
	file_manager.bmp[0]
	file_manager.bmp[0]
	file_manager.bmp[0]
	}

Put in menus.cfg. EDIT - CONFIGURATION - MENUS

&Menus{
:&File
:&Edit
:&View
:F&avorites
:&Groups
:&Tools
:&Help
}

JamesD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2011 12:22PM by JamesD.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: November 24, 2011 01:50AM

Robert
Ok, i found the Options ID_PREFERENCES Button in the Phoenity-Skin (delete the #) smiling smiley
and i turnd off the menu display.
But now my next thing is, that left-mouseclick opens the Preferences-menu (like press F2) and the right-mouseclick shows the (Under-)Menu.
I would like to have it vice versa, so left-shows Menu and right-opens menu.
The same with the Bookmarks-Button!

The reason is simple, all the other Buttons in the Bars are used by left-mouseclick, so if you work you have always to think, Options and Favorites i need right-mouseclick.

Thanks for any further ideas, robert.

Easiest solution is to unhide the menubar in Preferences if you have it hidden. Restart. Drag all your toolbars(except maybe the tab bar) onto the same line as the menubar. Completely cover the menubar with one of the toolbars. You'll be left with an arrow/chevron that when left-clicked shows the popup menu a.k.a compact menu. It's a feature unique to K-Meleon.

My solution
Date: November 25, 2011 08:24PM

First, JamesD and jsnj, thanks for your efforts.

I arranged my Menus like this:
Left site the Urlbar, then
RSS-button,
Search-button,
NewTab-Button,
Mainbar:
reload-button separator
Stop-button separator
Back Forward-buttons separator
Favorites-button separator
Prefences-Button
Privacy-Bar with Cookies,JS,Popups and Clearall-button

So the Buttons are in the Center of the Bar, the last two Buttons (Fav and Pref) are used by Right-click

Further it´s possible to modify the mainbarhot.bmp by changing the backgroundcolor for Buttons which should be used by rightclick. I didn´t done it yet.

Overall, the last day i predominantly used K-Meleon and this will be my Standard-browser for the future, for me its much better than FF or Opera, which maybe i will deinstall in some more days.

cheers, Robert.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.