Graphics :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon icons, skins and throbbers. 
Skinning issues
Posted by: Fidget
Date: August 02, 2015 07:44AM

Hi, I've been trying to change the background/throbber in K-meleon 75 but I seem to have some issues with it.

I replaced the throbber file by a different avi file named throbber, with the same pixel size as the original (23x23 px) But it doesn't seem to be found, as no throbber is shown then, while it is with the original file (throbber is on)

same issue with back.bmp

the back.bmp from the Klassik skin works fine when I paste it in the default folder, but when I place a custom bmp file in there it won't work. are there any specific requirements to these files to get them working?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Skinning issues
Posted by: siria
Date: August 02, 2015 09:20AM

Attach it to this thread, if anyone else wants to test.

No idea about throbbers, am not using it.
But my own back.bmp's always worked fine without any special requirements. Just tested offline in KM75 with default skin in vista: no prob.

What also works fine is the hidden pref to hide the horizontal toolbar lines:
kmeleon.display.toolbars_line (BOOL) false

Had thought that this pref was meanwhile added in the pref sheets, but now can't find it in KM75, and neither does the pref exist in about:config - am I blind or was it forgotten? But creating it manually still works fine.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 02, 2015 03:16PM

It is important that back.bmp be the name of the background image. To add a background to the KM 75 Default skin, just copy an image file of type bmp to the Default folder within the skins folder and name that file as 'back.bmp'.

An alternate method is to create a skins folder within your profile and within that folder create a folder named shared. Put you back.bmp file into the shared folder that you just created. This works because the Default skin has no background image. KM looks first at the current skin folder, Default, and then at the root/skins/shared folder and following that the profile/skins/shared. You could also have a Default folder in your profile, but that just makes everything needlessly complex.

The back.bmp file should not be overly large. It gets repeated across the entire display.

Note that you need to restart KM after making the change. The file is read at startup.

There is a 'Throbber.avi' file in the Default skin. You must replace that file with another one named 'Throbber.avi' to change throbbers. Again the reminder to restart KM after making the file swap.

Date: August 02, 2015 05:09PM

Hmm, he did sound to me like making sure all names are identic, but who knows...
But didn't Dorian say the profile skins have priority over the root/skins?

Posted by: Fidget
Date: August 02, 2015 05:59PM

I have done exactly as you recommended.

None the less neither throbber nor bmp file work. as I said, the back.bmp file which I copied and pasted from the klassik skin did work, but I really don't see the difference.

I'm willing to upload both my back.bmp file and throbber.avi file, but I have no clue how I'm afraid smiling smiley

thanks for the quick response!

Date: August 02, 2015 07:19PM

siria
But didn't Dorian say the profile skins have priority over the root/skins?

My memory is less than great now. I might have it backward. I had better do some actual testing.

If you are right, then you have just solved a big problem for me.

Date: August 02, 2015 07:43PM

Siria is right and the profile skins take priority over root skins.

Fidget
I have attached a back.bmp file compressed with 7-Zip. Extract the bmp file to your root/skins/Default folder, restart KM and see if your background changes.

If you wish to upload your file, then you must compress it because bmp is not an acceptable file type to upload.

Just above the text compose area but below the 'Add my signature..' is the attach method. You click on that, find and select the 7z file and the click on attach.

Attachments: back.7z (1.1 KB)  
Date: August 02, 2015 08:16PM

Just noticed attachments are only possible if users are logged in. But it's easy, all you need for a forum account is an email address.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.