Graphics :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon icons, skins and throbbers. 
Privacy Bar Disappears Upon Restart
Posted by: KM2005
Date: October 05, 2019 02:56PM

I've got a problem since installing the latest test build on XP SP3, same as what user George_Hall mentioned in 75.1 August 2015.

"Privacy Bar will not stay visible and disappears at startup. (This problem is specific to K-Meleon 75.1 Beta)". http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,134648,134881,page=3#msg-134881

It started happening for my setup in the Klassic skin once I changed to the latest build 20191005.

Reverted back to build 20180825 in which I had no problem, and now it too has same problem.

Checked all KM folder permissions and pushed full control to all subfolders and files, which didn't fix problem. Installed browser build again to fresh folder with no custom profile--default profile only--same problem. I suspect problem is related to a Service Pack 3 permission somewhere.

Default skin privacy bar shows upon startup; minus the ability to use the custom toolbars.cfg I was using.

More quickly noticeable related to the problem is that the right-click on toolbars doesn't show until privacy bar is enabled--right-click on toolbars don't show toolbars enable/disable or toolbars options until privacy bar is enabled. Once KM is restarted right-click toolbars options disappears along with privacy bar.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2019 10:29PM by KM2005.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: File Permissions for Privacy Bar / Toolbar settings don't stick
Posted by: siria
Date: October 05, 2019 04:59PM

Privacy Bar will not stay visible and disappears at startup.

Just tried and find nothing unusual - aside from the usual, ancient GUI bugs.
In the Klassic skin folder is a file skin.js, which contains the default toolbar positions and visibility for this skin layout.
Not sure when exactly this should kick into action, yet in practice this seems to overrule user settings at every start. As a workaround, remove or rename this file to e.g. skin_js to disable it, and start again. Or alternatively, copy your own "toolband" prefs from profilefolder/prefs.js over into skins/Klassic/skin.js

More quickly noticeable related to the problem is that the right-click on toolbars doesn't show until privacy bar is enabled--right-click on toolbars don't show toolbars enable/disable or toolbars options until privacy bar is enabled. Once KM is restarted right-click toolbars options disappears along with privacy bar.

This toolbars menu is tricky anyway: it only appears when clicking in a free space, and sometimes there just is no free space left... Try clicking in various places...? Or use the View menu to open it (if text menu not visible: Alt+V in english)

Re: File Permissions for Privacy Bar / own SKIN
Date: October 05, 2019 05:09PM

Default skin privacy bar shows upon startup; minus the ability to use the custom toolbars.cfg I was using.

For everyone who has customized toolbars or buttons, I very strongly recommand to put those into your own skin folder => end of all problems smiling smiley
Just create a new skin folder, name it whatever, or make it a skin variation: if you have a modification of Klassic skin, it makes sense to name the new folder e.g. "Klassic(mine)".
Then copy your current toolbars.cfg inside and if necessary other parts. The default skin seems to also need a copy of "skin.cfg" from the defaults folder. All other files from the current skin are optional. If the browser doesn't find the pics named in the toolbars.cfg in the current folder, it will look them up either in this skins main folder, or in the "shared" folder, or the "default" folder.
Choose this "new" skin in F2 > GUI, and after the next restart it should be active smiling smiley

Privacy Bar Disappears Upon Restart
Date: October 05, 2019 10:37PM

Got the Privacy Bar to stick. Installed another fresh KM copy to another new folder. Got my profile copied over, except prefs.js, and working with toolbars.

Something in the custom prefs.js wipes out much of the toolbars. It's a prefs.js I've been using for years with no problems to toolbars till now. Changing back to default prefs.js reverts back to working toolbars.

Would have to recustomize the default prefs.js, to regain custom useragent strings.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2019 12:27AM by KM2005.

Re: Privacy Bar Disappears Upon Restart
Date: October 06, 2019 01:47AM

KM2005
Something in the custom prefs.js wipes out much of the toolbars. It's a prefs.js I've been using for years with no problems to toolbars till now. Changing back to default prefs.js reverts back to working toolbars.
Would have to recustomize the default prefs.js, to regain custom useragent strings.

This mysterious setting would be interesting. And the working version is also set to Klassic? And with a skin.js in the Klassic folder?
Perhaps check on about:config the prefs containing "toolbar" and "toolband" for possible suspects?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2019 01:50AM by siria.

Re: Privacy Bar Disappears Upon Restart
Date: October 06, 2019 12:43PM

I have it set at Klassic, working properly without custom prefs.js file. Skin.js is in the Klassic folder and changed to skin._js as suggested.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.