Graphics :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon icons, skins and throbbers. 
InTheDarK Skin
Posted by: jsnj
Date: October 28, 2007 07:32AM

Any KM users out there have dark, black-based desktop themes? Well I jumped on the bandwagon earlier this year and judging from the screenshots at Deviant Art, so have many others. It's probably because of Vista. Anyway, when I started to use KM again recently there were no skins/themes to match, so I made/ported one :-) Blends well with the XP visual styles Haemo, Concave Dark & TypeZero among others.

Download & Install

The download file is based on Alain's extension/skin setup file which makes installation ALOT easier :-). Just install into KM's main directory e.g. C:\Program Files\K-Meleon[/i]
After the installation is complete KM should automatically be switched to InTheDarK.

Updated for K-Meleon 1.5

*Tab Buttons
*Fixed throbber issue
*Fixed bookmark/favorites/hotlist menu button issue
*Added alternative white text option. (To use, rename the three bmp files in the InTheDarK(Text) folder by removing "-ALT")

Use this thread for any questions/comments/help etc...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2009 08:39PM by jsnj.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: InTheDarK Skin
Posted by: desga2
Date: October 28, 2007 03:51PM

Thanks for your theme contribution to K-Meleon!

I sent to Alain a new version of instalation script only for skins (v2.0), more easy and better than standar extension script.
I'm waiting for his opinion.

Greetings.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: October 28, 2007 04:28PM

Cool...feel free to send it to me. I'd like to test it out.

Date: October 28, 2007 05:19PM

You can download the script, instructions and an example theme form here:
K-Meleon 1.1 Skin Extension (2.0).zip

Thanks for your interest.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: October 31, 2007 12:24AM

Thanks. I've uploaded a new setup file which makes changes to the nlf files to improve wording etc... No changes to the actual skin have been made, just the setup file for future downloaders. I didn't use your setup script because my setup file includes a small macro to automatically switch to the skin after installation is complete. Also, one observation, it doesn't seem to make sense to include a preview or presentation file in the installation file & process. Previews/screenshots should be on the download page of the skin. Seems counter-intuitive to have to first download a skin installation file just to see what the skin/theme looks like, no?

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 31, 2007 05:18AM

To me the preview makes sense. Sometimes I store a download on hdd and if I install later the preview is usefull.

And not all download pages show previews. The setup is used for these also - but maybe the setup should be constructed so that the preview can be skipped if the setup is for pages with prview.

I did not understand where I can find the improved nlf.

Date: October 31, 2007 12:04PM

guenter
To me the preview makes sense. Sometimes I store a download on hdd and if I install later the preview is usefull.

I'm with guenter i stored a lot of skins in my HD and later install some but don't remember theme looks and the web from download it.

jsnj must be referer to new NSIS version 2.31, you can found .nlf language files in NSIS instalation dir \NSIS\Contrib\Language files

My NSIS script for instalation skin have this complete changelog:

Changelog Skin Extension Setup 2.0:
- Reduce from ~1000 to ~300 lines of code in nsi file. (deleted code unused for skins)
- Now a skin extension size is ~150 KB.
- Now isn't needed close KM for install a skin. (but remmember that restart KM is needed
for change skin take effect)
- Only english license is needed.
- Presentation must be universal, one image file for all languages.
(only menu language is different, skin not change)
+ New presentation method improved in setup with a preview page.
+ New icon for setup.
+ New Howto.txt file for dummies.
+ More comments in code to help config of the setup.
+ More options added to finish page; run, readme, link.
+ Language strings added and changes. (in .nlf files)
+ Others minor changes in code for adapted to a skin extension setup.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2007 12:08PM by desga2.

Date: October 31, 2007 04:58PM

guenter

And not all download pages show previews. The setup is used for these also - but maybe the setup should be constructed so that the preview can be skipped if the setup is for pages with prview.

I was just referring to the KM themes download page. Presumably all new skins should be available from here and they all have previews as do all other major browser's theme pages. But it's no major bone of contention. Bloats the file though. InTheDarK's setup file (which is based on Alain's all-purpose nsi script which is much larger than desga2's skin only nsi script) is smaller than Skipstone's setup file. Yet, InTheDarK's actual skin size is double the size of Skipstone's. Assuming they both use the same compression method, the cause is the size of the bmp preview. Anyway, again, not a big deal since the section can be commented out.

guenter
I did not understand where I can find the improved nlf

They come with Alain's K-Meleon Extension Setup 1.9.0 structure zip file. I just edited those. I'm new to setup files. I just followed Alain's guide. :-)

Posted by: Rocker
Date: December 05, 2007 11:14PM

how do you make the buttons have white text, mine is black and I can't see anything.

Date: December 07, 2007 07:55PM

The black text is part of the original design by ipeier shown in the preview images. Here's a modified version with white text. Just extract the contents to the folder within skins named InTheDarK(Text).

Attachments: InTheDarK(Text Alt.).zip (11.3 KB)  
Posted by: franco
Date: February 03, 2009 01:48PM

When i try this skin, the K is slowed down a lot (rollovers seems like freeze), and dont change the gray frame, only change the buttons.

Date: February 03, 2009 05:16PM

Also you must change your Windows Theme to black type theme for this.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: February 06, 2009 08:25PM

franco
When i try this skin, the K is slowed down a lot (rollovers seems like freeze), and dont change the gray frame, only change the buttons.

1. The slowing down/freeze behavior pretty much happens with all throbbers on some pages. To see how it should look, open the throbber.avi located in the InTheDarK skin folder and view it in any media player, like Windows Media player etc...

2. There is a bug with K-Meleon and black-based throbbers in XP when k-meleon.exe.manifest is present. If the black color is RGB 0,0,0, K-Meleon will convert that to white. I've remedied that by changing the RGB. So it should look the way it's supposed to now.

Posted by: Kavadrat
Date: January 25, 2016 11:08AM

Please, help me in my trouble! I'm don't understsand why removed this skin. I'm fool, real. I'm fownloading this theme and running exe. Later, I'm don't seek no icons, no button. And after manuall removing foders with "InTheDark" on label, all troublle starts again and again. In the settings InTheDark is unremovable. Please, HELP me!!!

Date: January 25, 2016 11:09AM

version 75.1 pro rus

Posted by: siria
Date: January 25, 2016 11:28AM

What a fitting name - "in the dark" :cool: grinning smiley

Anyway, this skin obviously is meant for old KM-versions. And additionally it is a very special skin system if it comes with an "exe" file. Very unusual. Sure meant for easier user config, but in wrong KM-version obviously problematic.

Okay, have no idea what the exe executes exactly, but you can extract the exe with 7z and look inside:
it contains among other files 2 kmm-files:
- macros/bookfavhot.kmm
- macros/InTheDarK.kmm

As first aid, delete those 2 files, and at least the automatic skin-reset at browser start shouldn't happen again.

If no toolbars visible or messed, hit F2 and change skin in first tab "GUI configuration", then start again.

If that's not enough, rename folder skins/default (for backup), extract a clean default folder from a native K-Meleon and copy that over again.

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 11:30AM by siria.

Date: January 25, 2016 10:19PM

Thanks! Very much. Now try it. This ящер охуенен browser is very cool but hard for understanding and usually used. =))) Sorry for my bad english.

Date: January 25, 2016 11:13PM

Huuhh! . I'm do it!!!. I deleted those two files that you have shown , but it did not helpÑŽ =( OK. I then did a search on the word of k-meleon in the registry , but nothing suspicious found. Then I do search for "dark" in browser's folder. I'm find string with "InTheDark bla-bla" and replaced it with "GreenPro". This skin was originaly and I want to install it. Profit!!!

Date: January 25, 2016 11:19PM

The string with "InTheDark..." was in file - "\K-Meleon Pro 75.10\Profiles\blablabla.default\prefs.js"

Posted by: siria
Date: January 25, 2016 11:47PM

Great grinning smiley

But you could have that easier, by using the normal way to change a skin:
siria
...hit F2 and change skin in first tab "GUI configuration Appearance", then start again.

Was assuming that you already know where to find the normal skin setting (Edit > Preferences (F2) > GUI Appearance), because you had already changed a skin.

IN general most simple user settings get stored in this prefs.js file in current profile folder (Edit > Configuration > Profile Folder)

But please don't assume that THIS kind of problems were normal for this browser, it's not. This is a very sophisticated, special skin with very special installation procedure. Nearly all other skins only consist of one simple folder that gets un-zipped, no exe.

Tip: The only skin trick one should know since KM75: copy over the default toolbars.cfg file into the current skin folder, and modify only that copy.
You can also copy a whole skin folder and rename it as you wish, for example "myskin", then play with it freely.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: January 26, 2016 08:56PM

Kavadrat, feel free to get all the help about охуенный ящер this cool browser in real russian вот тут

;-)

But it's OK to write here for all folks too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2016 09:00PM by rodocop.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.