Graphics :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon icons, skins and throbbers. 
Backgrounds collection....
Posted by: siria
Date: October 01, 2009 09:22PM

Just a couple backgrounds, except the first few only ultrasimple gradients, but nice colors (Hey I've read that girls are more into colors and guys more into geometry, for me certainly true - tiny variations of shades do make a difference *grin*)

To "install" take one of the pics from the attached zip-file, put it into the folder of your current skin, rename your old "back.bmp" into something like "back_old.bmp", and the new one into "back.bmp". You can also put it into folder skins/default to be available for ALL skins.
After the next start of K-Meleon it should work.
Forgot to mention: make sure you have switched on toolbar background in F2>GUI Appearance!

If anyone would like to take one and distribute it with his own skin, just take it.

Edit:
Have removed the first 3 (the nicest) due to doubts about the origin site :-(

Perhaps we can find other nice ones on more reliable sites, like ublic_domain" rel="nofollow" >https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Categorytongue sticking out smileyublic_domain ?

Or any gifted people around to self-create some? :-)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2015 08:29PM by siria.

Attachments: siria_backgrounds_gradients_publicdomain.zip (97.2 KB)   back_siria__PACK1_01-13__091001_crop.png (169.7 KB)  
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Backgrounds collection....
Posted by: guenter
Date: October 07, 2009 03:55PM

Nice collection. Never occured to me that the back.bmp can change the looks so much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2009 03:55PM by guenter.

Posted by: panzer
Date: January 08, 2010 12:45PM

This skins are bad for user's eyes. Expecially skins 4, 8, 9 and 10. You can't watch them for 8 hours straight.

Use some softer colors when you're making them ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2010 12:52PM by panzer.

Date: May 31, 2015 02:29PM

JamesD
Would you consider allowing all 19 of your backgrounds to be available to skins that do not contain their own back.bmp file?

I have almost completed a system that is very easy for the user to select and use any background from a palette of twenty. Number 20 is my own bmp file.

For my self-created ones I'm glad to, they are puclic domain anyway, but just basic gradients and a crazy fractal.
But there are also 3 in the package (wood, stone, water) which were taken from one of those giant "PD" archives out there, and meanwhile have gotten some doubts about those sources, so it's better to leave those out. Have them also removed from the zip-package in first post now.

A source that I trust a lot more now is this one:
ublic_domain" rel="nofollow" >https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Categorytongue sticking out smileyublic_domain

And perhaps we could just take own photos of a wooden plate and nice stone surface or whatever would make a good background - anyone? :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2015 02:36PM by siria.

Attachments: back_siria__PACK2_14-18__100102.png (37.9 KB)  
Posted by: JamesD
Date: May 31, 2015 08:53PM

Thanks siria,

I will use some of your gradient ones. I will not use the ones for which we do not know the original source. Now, if I just find time to complete the project.

Small question for you. Am I right in my understanding that the average user who accepts the defaults when installing KM, likely cannot change anything other than her/his profile unless they log in with privileges? I have not set up my computer the average way since the 1990s.

Posted by: PerryHotter
Date: September 02, 2015 08:17PM

Strange - I followed the steps above, but it does not work. Skin change works.
I tried 5 and 12 but nothing changed. What can I do else ?

Date: September 02, 2015 08:32PM

In the place where you switched skins (F2>GUI Appearance), did you enable there "Display toolbar background"?

(ignore attachments, only abused here to link from other forum threads)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2016 03:38PM by siria.

Attachments: menu_cookies.png (5.5 KB)   menuplus_DEBUG_160501.7z (15.9 KB)  
Date: September 03, 2015 05:50AM

Thank You - this was the reason. grinning smiley

Date: September 04, 2015 10:12AM

Here are some backgrounds that do not hurt the eye of some persons.Mostly shades of grey and light blue. They are not as great as the backgrounds of Siria but you can use them. I use greymarmor.grinning smiley

Attachments: BP.7z (2.2 KB)  
Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 02, 2015 11:45AM

This system will allow user to change backgrounds. Extract the files to your profile.

Attachments: BackGnds.7z (23.4 KB)  

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.