Linux users :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon under Linux using wine. 
K-Meleon Twin+ and Linux
Posted by: panzer
Date: November 12, 2012 10:22AM

So, I have finally chosen what Distro to use and I want to know the following:

How to make new KM Twin (or some other version) work under Wine (I have never tried using Wine so I need step-by-step guide)
Can multiple software run under Wine simultaneously? I would need DarkScreen (only one .exe file) running along Km ...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon Twin+ and Linux
Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 12, 2012 06:47PM

I'm not sure about ChromeFrame installation under Wine.

And I cannot say more as was never using Wine. Sorry.

Posted by: Fred
Date: November 12, 2012 11:06PM

Your K-Meleon Version can be unpacked for example
to the /opt folder.

Install the wine version that your distro offers
in its repository, using the package manager of
your distribution.

To start K-Meleon, write in the Terminal console of your
Linux distribution

wine /opt/K-Meleon/k-meleon.exe

or whatever your path to k-meleon.exe is.

You can add an icon for K-Meleon on the desktop and
add a menu entry to start K-Meleon, but the way to
do this is different for all distributions.

To start Chrome from inside K-Meleon you would have to
install the Windows version of Chrome. I do not think
that this would work for every distribution. It may
also depend on the wine version which the distribution
would offer in its repository.
The same may be the case for darkscreen.exe .

Fred

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: November 13, 2012 11:38AM

By default Windows setups want to install in C:\Program Files\.... which is located in ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/K-Meleon, for example

To be able to use it with different users, I personnally created a folder named 'Program Files' in /opt
I have done it in sudo (sudo nautilus /opt)
I have changed rights to the user, and for groups to 'users', and I have checked to applicate it to all the files and folders under Program Files

I have too added a drive in wine E: in /opt
So when the setups ask for a path, I just modify C: to E:, and it installs in /opt/Program Files/K-Meleon (for example)
It now easy from setups to install windows programs. The only ennoying point is that in line command you must give the path in "path" or 'path' because of space. Linux accept to replace space by \'space', and "" or '' are no more needed.

I use the same K-Meleon profile from two differents, and if it works, there is just a problems with bookmarks.html, K-Meleon always ask for it's location. This use is a little special, and it has needed to create a new user group, and add it to the two users, and then set it for all the K-Meleon profile folder (recursive)

But I admit it's a very special use , and commonly, I think that folders are located in ~/.wine/drive_c/users/'username'/Applications Datas/K-Meleon/.....

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: panzer
Date: November 14, 2012 08:13AM

Thanx to both of you.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: March 31, 2013 09:27AM

Quirk of fate I had to run Puppy Linux for some days.

Good news: Puppy is easy, lightweight, but powerful and flexible distro which could be easily dual-booted with Windows (best option is XP) almost without special knowledge.
More good: Wine is easily installable into Puppy and it handles most of needed WinWare. Even portable.

And I'd run my KM Twin there! It works after installing Wine and mounting drive where your portable working folder lies. Only thing you need is to go through procedure of 'Open with' command and associate there exe-files with Wine to be executed (very similar to the same Windows procedure).

K-Meleon loads and works with the state you live it in Windows (loads prefs.js correctly). All menus and macros (as far as I can see) are working too.

Bad news: I have some functions missing while browsing - no scrolling with mouse wheel, no entering into forums, some glitches with surfing by links. This makes KM fairly unusable, but what I'm not sure about is MS VisualC++. I haven't installed this once again under Wine (it has it's own simulated Windows/System32 folder) and I think if I would do so, KM may become fully functional.

Now I've repaired my Win bootloader, so I returned to the sweet MS home grinning smiley. Next time I would try Puppy (it's now at a distance of one reboot from me everytime!) I'll experiment with these libraries installation and report the results.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2013 09:28AM by rodocop.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.