Linux users :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon under Linux using wine. 
Sticking with the BEST browsers, minus windoze.
Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: February 09, 2020 10:15PM

I have been helping many disenchanted folks move over to Linux for years already, and got so busy with those efforts that I had to delay my own final & full transition...hence keeping 2 boxes running at my own place.
But now I've finally made that leap, with very good results.

It has vexed me that I could not use the K-Meleon Goanna builds due to my own insistence at sticking with XP SP2 only - but that vexation is now in the past as well, all thanks to Linux & WINE.

K-Meleon remains as my favourite browser of all & I've found some terrific help in making my final transition to Linux which sped up that process greatly.

I'll try to 'splain:
In my final movements AWAY from XP, there are some apps which do (sort of...) have Linux replacements - but which I still prefer to use with great regularity;
There are also some which have no good replacements at all, like K-Meleon.

Over 90% of those apps do work perfectly via WINE - but up 'till now I did not find a simple way to make launchers for 'em.

Enter wine-launcher-creator - which I just found via searching.
( https://code.google.com/archive/p/wine-launcher-creator/downloads )
This little gem pretty much instantly created perfect desktop launchers for ALL my desired apps !!
(The 10% of those apps that don't work via WINE, I cannot complain about as its really no big deal.)

What impresses me most is that I've been using windows portables & apps that I made into no-installs for a bunch of years already, so all I needed to do with what I wanted was to copy the apps into the Linux box - point wine-launcher-creator at 'em one at a time - open & test 'em to make sure all was well - and...done.

Through these efforts I even gained some really good things which were above & beyond my expectations:
The biggie for my utter pleasure is my all-time favourite windoze screen saver - Particle Fire - which of course cannot be used as a screen saver under Linux, BUT=>
Just copying its SCR file & renaming it to .SCR.EXE got wine-launcher-creator to work with it, and now I can just open it anytime I wish for a bit of visual relaxation. (Fireflies comes close...but is not quite as nice IMO).

So, now that I am able to run the latest K-Meleon Pro browser fully & easily, it is time to put the Linux box to my main, bigger screen, which is what I've been wanting & needing to do for...well, too long already !!

In closing=>
I can only say that any/all barriers to using Linux as a full-time OS in replacement for windoze have become trivial for me, as a total non-gamer as well as for the bunch of folks whom I have assisted in making the same movements.

I would encourage anyone who is fence-sitting about leaving windoze behind to make this transition - UNLESS:
If there are specialized windoze-only things that are needed, which enforce a need to keep it around.

Neither myself nor the folks I assist use any such things.
None of us use GPT or UEFI either, which simplifies everything very happily.
(And of course I can also still use XP eternally via VM, so it will live...forever !!)

Options: ReplyQuote

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.