Linux users :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon under Linux using wine. 
Vewy, vewy Scwewy.
Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: February 23, 2020 08:08PM

Being a full time Linux user now AND wishing to keep using K-M Pro as it has been, it made the journey with me.

Sadly it is uncooperative and errors out & closes too much whilst doing things that it was always able to do fine before.
It also behaves much differently under WINE than when run natively;
Trying to scroll and menus are very odd to use now.

I am not going to dig into things enough to try and fix these errors - but after the time & efforts I put into getting it as I needed it to be, I will surely miss using it very much.

The Gecko type of browsing experience can still be had though, which is very good news to me.
Seamonkey gets as close to it as can be - not very customizable, but still pretty good.

I do have Rodocop's 76.x Pro version as well, and may tweak it to my visual needs a bit, but that will not be done as rigorously as I did with the older version, nor will it likely be used quite as much as the older version got used daily by me.

The sort of twisted but good news for me is that there isn't anything so interesting or pressing on the internet anymore that has me spending hours & hours browsing, and in recent times I am more likely to just read a good book instead.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vewy, vewy Scwewy.
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: February 23, 2020 09:36PM

smallhagrid
menus are very odd to use now.

I almost could bet what could be, even you don't want to get into details.

Is one of the things that is giving me troubles to switch to Linux (and I haven't even fiddle with Wine). It literally breaks the workflow.

Date: February 24, 2020 03:51AM

Thanks for replying !!
It saddens me very much, but it -is- time for me to leave windoze behind and apparently this is just a casualty of that need.

And even more scwewy ?!?
The Mypal Gecko version browser works perfectly via WINE - fine, quick & hasn't closed on me even one time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2020 05:39AM by smallhagrid.

Date: March 02, 2020 09:41AM

Just a bit to add here...
Gave things a pretty complete run through & the results are not promising.

Tried The latest 76.2 and Rodocop's Pro version as well as Roytam's latest Goanna build.
All did freaky stuff by running under WINE as well as crashing alot.

Oddly - by way of comparison, Roytam's latest Borealis Navigator didn't crash at all.

At this point it looks like I need to try & get my data exported from good old 75.1 Pro & into one of the non-crashy and/or native Linux browsers.
Too bad that there seems to be no way to grab all my log-in info from it though, it'll be a pain to recreate all those...or:
Is there some magical way to take the CSV or XML made by PW Exporter & get it into a 'modern' Linux browser somehow ??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2020 11:31AM by smallhagrid.

Date: June 11, 2020 08:09PM

Revisiting this thread many months after making the OP ...
Ubuntu Mate has been my main OS for quite a while now & my old XP box is sitting off to a side, unused.

Right this minute I am typing this via Mypal 27.8.3 under WINE 5.x - which is incredibly nimble & quick.
It is my 'lightweight' browser & the heavy stuff (like YT...) is done in the Linux version of Seamonkey.

I do still use K-Meleon 75.1 Pro briefly on most days - but not for very many tasks as it force closes too much.

The only 2 things I truly miss from the XP days are K-Meleon & My Phone Explorer (which works poorly under WINE).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2020 08:10PM by smallhagrid.

Posted by: siria
Date: June 11, 2020 11:33PM

smallhagrid
Revisiting this thread many months after making the OP ...
Ubuntu Mate has been my main OS for quite a while now & my old XP box is sitting off to a side, unused.

Right this minute I am typing this via Mypal 27.8.3 under WINE 5.x - which is incredibly nimble & quick.
It is my 'lightweight' browser & the heavy stuff (like YT...) is done in the Linux version of Seamonkey.

I do still use K-Meleon 75.1 Pro briefly on most days - but not for very many tasks as it force closes too much.

The only 2 things I truly miss from the XP days are K-Meleon & My Phone Explorer (which works poorly under WINE).

So sad sad smiley Wish some expert could fix that crashing prob, but don't see anyone.

Looks like a sad ending now.
Date: July 08, 2020 11:23PM

K-Meleon 75.1 Pro - 76, etc. have all become ultimately & fully crashy running under Linux via WINE 5.x .
This is very unlike other windoze apps which pretty much work 100% perfectly now.
I finally gave up my daily visits & now depend upon several other browsers to see what is desired MINUS the crashing.

Exported my plethora of bookmarks, and used PasswordFox v1.60, from nirsoft.net to get an HTML file of saved logins...
The only thing I haven't yet done is to delete my several K-Meleon versions from the Linux box (my main PC now).

Call me sentimental - but if it could be made stable again I'd still use K-Meleon every day rather than Seamonkey, Mypal, Palemoon & Waterfox (& Centaury every so often as well).

Very sad to face this loss of my favourite browser.

Date: July 08, 2020 11:41PM

smallhagrid
K-Meleon 75.1 Pro - 76, etc. have all become ultimately & fully crashy running under Linux via WINE 5.x .
This is very unlike other windoze apps which pretty much work 100% perfectly now.

Hmm... the big question is whether your crashes are caused by the engine or the KM-shell?
Could be tested with Roytam1's build of NewMoon27, which shares the same engine as KG76.2 if I understood that right (?)
https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/?do=findComment&comment=1183910

And just remember having read somewhere just a few days ago that missing FONTS can cause crashes too...

Date: July 09, 2020 09:26PM

Thanks Again & Again Siria - you are amazing !!
I grabbed that just to test it and it has lots to like about it.
(Being able to have Tab Mix Plus is a huge thing for me...)
As it arrived it is not able to play YT videos & I didn't bother sticking flash into it for that test...yet.
It also didn't crash on (WINE) closing my short testing session, which my preferred version of Mypal does do about 1/2 the times I use it - that is no big deal really.

I also posted here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?12,152635
About a YT fix that works really well for me, in case you haven't seen that yet.

Truthfully I am learning to really enjoy native Linux browsing with 64 bit versions & wish that some of these 'classic' type browsers would wander into Linux-land - that would truly be EXCELLENT !!!

Thanks Again Siria.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2020 09:27PM by smallhagrid.

Date: August 18, 2020 11:46PM

Regarding your crashes, have no clue of Linux of course, only know that in Win98 the kernelex-compat setting is crucial. So have been wondering for awhile if perhaps the system compat may be the screw, and if you experimented with that already. Now finally googled a bit and indeed, Wine has system compats per app too:
https://itsfoss.com/use-windows-applications-linux/

It's just such a pity.
And I used to hope that if some day I'd possibly be forced unto Linux myself, KM would run there too, but your story doesn't give much hope sad smiley And somewhere (you?) it was mentioned that it also runs very slow on Wine.

And just see there's even a first, single test report of KMG76.2 on Wine:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=717
Then again - test date Nov 2019, that's an older version.

The settings menu (the one with the cog icon) is broken.

Hmm... that triggers my macro-bugfix nerve of course, but can't test, only wondering in blind mode... Does he mean the toolbar button, or the button on the lower page corner?
And the exactly same button works in KM76-gecko?
If bug in toolbar button, would the menu appear after adding the same menu on right-click, in toolbars.cfg?
Would left-click work too, after replacing in toolbars.cfg "Compact Menu" with "popupmenu(Compact Menu)|Compact Menu" ?
Hmm, or does it perhaps need quotes inside ( ), due to the blank...?
Does F2 key work, to open settings?
Whatever it is, for this button thing there might be found a workaround if an expert were around :-/

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2020 01:22AM by siria.

Date: August 19, 2020 10:27PM

Hi Siria and as always - thanks for sharing your insightful thoughts !!

I actually use more than a dozen (~15 ??) older & still favourite windoze apps via WINE with zero problems;
The sole exceptions that have problems are K-Meleon, My Phone Explorer and Atlantis word processor (only sometimes).

K-Meleon is the strangest of the lot & I've tried using it via WINE set to 'pretend' various OS versions - and each one had goofy stuff - I didn't try to keep any record of which did what though.

WINE v5.x is fantastic as compared with earlier versions & I am assuredly quite comfortable with using it as well as the various things which can be used to tweak it up so helpfully.
Also great with Version 5.x is that it added a context menu item making it very easy to directly open an EXE file to see if WINE itself does the trick directly, quickly & easily.

That itsfoss site as a whole is very annoying with all the excessive crud it insists that visitors must be afflicted with, so much so that it forces me to display it via textise.net to make it at all bearable.

What you said got me to think about the idea of 'being forced into using Linux'...
For me that forcing began with the nightmare called 'vista' and only got worse as they slathered more intense paintjobs on top of it - until it got so very bad IMO that the abortion called '10' is too painful to even look at.
(I do not watch TV for the very same reason of visual overstimulation, actually.)

Maybe one day I'll get back to the info about making K-Meleon work fully under win2k, then use it more via my VM of that, but for now I'm sticking with SeaMonkey under Linux & Mypal via WINE.
Those have been giving me the best results.
(I do also have a bunch of other browsers ready to use at anytime & my 3rd place browser is Palemoon.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2020 10:33PM by smallhagrid.

Date: August 20, 2020 03:13AM

K-Meleon is the strangest of the lot & I've tried using it via WINE set to 'pretend' various OS versions - and each one had goofy stuff

Aargh, too bad, too bad... Of course, there's still plenty of stuff one could try if lots of time and interest, especially prefs (plugin container chaos, hardware acceleration chaos, javascript.options.ion, etc) Or perhaps SSE compat settings, if existing (?), no idea. But I understand you tried already all you know, and this requires special experts, if possible for both, system+browser (Dorian would be great, but oh well)

Also this keeps reminding me of KG74 which runs on Win98+KernelEx very buggy and crashing all the time too. In the beginning was almost completely unusable, and especially worse after throwing my hundred macros at it ;-) But IIRC also some native stuff involved. Needed lots of troubleshooting, and noticed e.g. that most crashes are weirdly caused by certain right-click menus, containing special words in uppercase (98 prob), but not all, and did lots of testing which macros may be involved causing crashes etc. In the end was finally usable as occasional fallback.

But in general, am also noticing that my KM1.6, which hardly ever crashed in the past, and is still exactly the same browser on exactly same system (except for recently added TLS1.2 support), is nowadays crashing far more often too, at least every 5-10 hours. Since I'm hardly ever using javascript, except in macros, am now afraid culprit #1 is now "too modern" css+html stuff, what means zero fix possiblesad smiley

Maybe one day I'll get back to the info about making K-Meleon work fully under win2k, then use it more via my VM of that,

Win2k would be nice, but IMHO fixing Linux is meanwhile more urgent, with more and more people forced to migrate...

OFFTOPIC

That itsfoss site as a whole is very annoying with all the excessive crud it insists that visitors must be afflicted with, so much so that it forces me to display it via textise.net to make it at all bearable.

Textise? Sounds interesting for antique browsers too, especially since I fiddled lately again with updating a macro for broken websites, using alternative services, like googlecache/weblight/waybackmachine etc. Something like Textise would fit right in very nicely, BUT: they BLOCK access completely for users without JS, insisting on fingerprinting for Cloudflare tracker sad smiley Oh well.

Noticed no trouble with itsfoss, with JS off, but my eyesight is better. Tutorials need images, if I understand correctly textise has none.
In general, on half the websites nowadays I need to use StyleKiller-macro in KM1.6 to fix hidden/overlapped text, caused by too modern css in old engines. Perhaps that would be an option for you too? It keeps images etc.
For more regular visited websites am fiddling to invent a bit custom css. Itsfoss is not one of them, but just for fun played with it a bit now. Was really harmless compared to some other websites. For example this removes the top block and right side block:

@-moz-document domain(itsfoss.com) {
#genesis-sidebar-primary, nav.nav-primary {display: none !important;}
main#genesis-content {width: 100% !important;}
}

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.