Linux users :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon under Linux using wine. 
Alternative browser testing with amazing result. (NOT just for Linux)
Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: October 08, 2020 07:47PM

I may be mistaken, but most (or all ??) of those mentioned herein also have versions for windoze.

Also, I must express gratitude here to Panzer, because it was the entry in his wonderful freeware listing which reminded me to do what I describe below - Thanks Panzer !!

My recent browser usages have been centered upon either Seamonkey or Mypal, with an unfortunate sprinkling in of chromium when absolutely forced to by badly made sites.
Palemoon gets some specific uses here as well, but less than others.
I am also sad to report that K-Meleon has mostly become a memory here as it doesn't behave well under WINE.

Here is what has been going on for me:
Some regular, normal updating resulted silently in Seamonkey getting the one-way update to version 2.53.4 - and that caused outright pandemonium for me because it barfed on some of my favourite extensions & froze endlessly while I figured out which ones had to get deleted.
What remains of it now is VERY disappointing to say the least - as much as I like Seamonkey, it has become less customizable just like the (now useless & unused here) Firefox that is merely a nasty chrome clone.

Mypal under WINE remains a delight - fast & clean & very useful, so it has remained running with me switching between those 2 'main' browsers for appropriate uses of each (Mypal doesn't do media content at all...).

I think this is all about to get changed though, and here's why:
Very recently I tried out the Linux release of Basilisk and much to my delight, found that it does EVERYTHING that I prefer the most - and quite perfectly, which amazes & delights me.
A huge plus for me is being able to literally use ALL the extensions that customize it beautifully - with Tab Mix Plus at the very top of the list (inability to use that with Seamonkey has made it a real stinker).

For anyone else who prefers a browser setup that keeps well out of the way as a browser should, I highly recommend Basilisk now.

Hopefully it will NOT also become a disaster due to the ongoing & extreme lobotomy that seems to be taking over all the more mainstream browsers - and which has already changed Seamonkey into a bit of an abortion, sadly.
(Please bear in mind with all of the above that I am now a 100% Linux user, so applying any of these ideas to 'other' OSes means that YMMV.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2020 07:54PM by smallhagrid.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lots of browser 'testing' here...amazed at result.
Posted by: siria
Date: October 08, 2020 10:09PM

Interesting, but if someone looks for Linux+KM they probably won't find it in "offtopic" :-/ And if KM is so shaky there (huge pity), alternative Linux-browser-tips for other KM fans can be helpful too. Would put "Linux" in title and move...

Alternative browser testing with amazing result. (NOT just for Linux)
Date: October 09, 2020 08:04PM

I changed the title to reflect the edited OP now.

Yes - I am a Linux user and I still use windoze apps quite freely, BUT:
There is no section here at the K-Meleon forum that is aimed at alternative browsers...
Hence 'off topic' ??

This forum IS a superb place to post mentions & questions regarding browsers in general because many of the determined K-Meleon users are also quite expert when it comes to tech things as well as being both helpful AND open-minded.

I am about to post just such a thing which (hopefully) has a browser-agnostic as well as OS-agnostic solution that maybe someone here will know the answer to...

Re: Alternative browser testing with amazing result. (NOT just for Linux)
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: October 09, 2020 10:15PM

smallhagrid
Hence 'off topic' ??

And there I moved initially.

Anyway, General wasn't the correct place, as General if or K-meleon talk.

I can move back off-topic if you prefer. Is where I post myself when the talk is about generic browsers. And I could remove the replies as well as just generate noise.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2020 10:17PM by JohnHell.

Re: Alternative browser testing with amazing result. (NOT just for Linux)
Date: October 15, 2020 10:15PM

Our Wonderful Panzer provided this link:
http://patrol.psyced.org/

Which says (only too truthfully & painfully IMO) :

What's New With Google Firefox

As Firefox is in the process of becoming a Google product, we are no longer granted an API that lets us protect you from men in the middle.

A very sad truth of our times.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.