Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Security software - (free) recommendations?
Posted by: xps
Date: January 09, 2010 08:37PM

Hi

Can you give me some ideas on what you have found to be best for a (Vista) Windows machine please.

e.g. Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Firewall, Anti-rootkit, Anti-trojan, other essential security software - all preferably free or would you go for a paid suite like Norton or Kaspersky Internet Security (2010)?

Is there any problem having "many" scanners installed provided you have only have anti-virus and one anti-spyware with resident ("on-access" / "real-time") protection switched on? Just for more than one opinion - it can't hurt especially if you download them for free?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Security software - (free) recommendations?
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: January 09, 2010 09:16PM

I think of Ubuntu :cool:, but somebody has perhaps other ideas ...

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: slayer
Date: January 10, 2010 05:26AM

Firewall is first. I have that only. There are a lot of free ones. I'm using Tiny personal firewall. I really don't know for Vista, nut it works well in Win98se.
And there are some good free anti-virus too like avira antivir. For the spy-ware, spybot search & destroy.

Posted by: Daveski17
Date: January 10, 2010 04:29PM

For anti-malware I would go for SUPERAntiSpyware free edition. It is far better than Spybot & less problematical than MBAM in my experience. Also don't forget SpywareBlaster. For anti-virus I have heard a lot of good things about the Panda Cloud. It might be worth having a look at.

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Posted by: Yogi
Date: January 10, 2010 05:37PM

JujuLand

A+

Safe hex? :cool:

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 10, 2010 06:14PM

For antivirus I always recomended Avira Antivir.
For firewall someone free in this Security Challenge.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: Matt
Date: January 10, 2010 09:15PM

According to virus bulletin ranking Avira, AVG and Avast are top 3 among free AVs.

It is worth checking if your AV is one on the list of AV rogues http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archive/2009/11/30/fake-security-software-all-up.aspx

JujuLand, did you read about infected Ubuntu screensavers?

http://digitizor.com/2009/12/10/ubuntu-malware-for-ddos-attack-found-in-screensaver/
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/12/malware-found-in-screensaver-for-ubuntu.html

Trust no one but yourself ;-) or you may get an infection.

Date: January 10, 2010 09:33PM

matt
JujuLand, did you read about infected Ubuntu screensavers?

First, I don't use screensavers smiling smiley

No, I don't read it. But, if there is no technical reason that viruses doesn't exist under Linux (a shell can also be dangerous), Linux is more robust and you must validate the execution by giving a password, which limits the risks.

But you're giving an example of a virus under Linux, but have you an idea of the numbers of virus under Windows.

Are the mumbers of virus in the same class for Windows and Linux ??

I definitively think that Windows is a shit, and if I'm not really happy of the forced selling which is illegally made by Microsoft (it's illegal in France, but authorities curiously don't do anything against it), but for sure the Windows monopole protects Linux users against viruses, and I'm happy for this.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2010 09:33PM by JujuLand.

Posted by: Matt
Date: January 11, 2010 12:37PM

JujuLand
But you're giving an example of a virus under Linux, but have you an idea of the numbers of virus under Windows.

Given Windows global market share there is no wonder that the most malicious software is destined to infect win systems.
I'm just saying there is no 100% safe and reliable software/OS.

Test your Anti-Virus

Posted by: slayer
Date: January 12, 2010 11:07PM

Most people are using Windows, that reflects to have more viruses. But it just depends how well you know your PC, I'm not running an anti-virus at the moment, and I never did (not enough free ram for me). But I have a firewall software enabled.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: January 13, 2010 10:25AM

JujuLand
I definitively think that Windows is a shit, and if I'm not really happy of the forced selling which is illegally made by Microsoft (it's illegal in France, but authorities curiously don't do anything against it), but for sure the Windows monopole protects Linux users against viruses, and I'm happy for this.

A+

Fully agree about the 'illegal' forced selling of the M$ OS!
Same picture here in Germany like probably in most other parts of the world as well.
It's mainly a matter of political considerations and big money of course.
Nevertheless there might be a few objective reasons as well for the popularity of Windows like ease of use and best hardware support.
Whilst some UNIX based OSs have became more and more user friendly over the years hardware support problems might still exist.

slayer
Most people are using Windows, that reflects to have more viruses. But it just depends how well you know your PC, I'm not running an anti-virus at the moment, and I never did (not enough free ram for me). But I have a firewall software enabled.

Very true but not the whole true as you pointed out yourself.
I'm using w2k for several years without any AV, FW or any other security software.
There is no site I would hesitate to visit or 'interesting' file I would hesitate to download (which doesn't mean that I would also blindly execute simultaneously).
On top of all this I'm running the system with root privileges (I recommand insistently everybody not doing the same) and still no infection during all this years.
My point is that with some basic knowledge the OS can be configured quite secure.
I wouldn't consider problematic packaged things like ActiveX or even IE delivered with Windows to be a vital part of the OS. It's up to the user how he will deal with such bundled software.

JujuLand

A+

For starters Kanotix might be of some interest as well.
Besides the Kanotix LIVE-CD (like other LIVE-CDs as well) can be used as a rescue CD for Windows systems.
E.g in some cases it can be very useful to save precious data from a Windows system you can't even boot anymore.

Posted by: panzer
Date: January 13, 2010 07:55PM

I have this:
Outpost Firewall
Spyware Terminator
Avast (because of package updates)
Sentinel 2.0 (not used)
Sanitity Check 1.02 (rarely used)
Script Sentry
Trust-No-Exe
SpywareGuard
SpywareBlaster
Wormguard
Flash Disinfector
Advanced Process Termination
Autorun Eater
MRU Blaster
Truecrypt
Dscrypt
ERUNT, NTREGOPT

You should at least take a look at Process Guard, Winsonar, Script Defender, Scrip Trap, Ninja Pendisk, RunAlyzer, MX One Antivirus, USB FireWall, Wireshark, Sandboxie, The avenger, dvdisaster, Ice sword and Hijack this.

Want more? Just tell ...grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2010 07:59PM by panzer.

Date: January 13, 2010 09:12PM

For starters Kanotix might be of some interest as well.
Besides the Kanotix LIVE-CD (like other LIVE-CDs as well) can be used as a rescue CD for Windows systems.
E.g in some cases it can be very useful to save precious data from a Windows system you can't even boot anymore.

I use Ubuntu or Trisquel live cds to save datas from broken windows install. It's particular easy to do it. I have used during some times Bart CD, but PE is a real pain and need too much memory to accept a little number of programs.

The only advantage of Bart CD is when pluggin an USB key before booting, to be able to launch an anti-virus out of the corrupted Windows install. I use McAfee scan.exe with the last def file with this command (kept in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\Engine the engine folder without olddats and oldengine)

scan c: /all /sub /report c:\scan.txt /rpterr /rptcor

it takes about 2 hours for a 40 Go HD, but it's more efficient than running under a corrupted Window install.

I have tried to launch it under wine (from an Ubuntu partition), and it's dangerous, and I have had great difficults to correct the problem that this run have put in partitions. DON'T DO IT, DANGEROUS

A+

Posted by: xps
Date: January 15, 2010 06:35PM

panzer
I have this:
Spyware Terminator
SpywareGuard
SpywareBlaster

I agree with your AV choice (Avast) but how come you use only ONE anti-spyware scanning program - Spyware Terminator. Also, I noticed this isn't a particularly "common" app to use - Malware Bytes Anti-Malware, SUPERAntiSpyware, Ad-aware or Spybot Search and Destroy, for example, seem to be in use more by people?

I believe SpywareGuard is XP only as it has not been tested on Vista according to
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html#FAQ

[21]

Date: January 15, 2010 07:17PM

xps
panzer
I have this:
Spyware Terminator
SpywareGuard
SpywareBlaster

I agree with your AV choice (Avast) but how come you use only ONE anti-spyware scanning program - Spyware Terminator. Also, I noticed this isn't a particularly "common" app to use - Malware Bytes Anti-Malware, SUPERAntiSpyware, Ad-aware or Spybot Search and Destroy, for example, seem to be in use more by people?

I believe SpywareGuard is XP only as it has not been tested on Vista according to
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html#FAQ

[21]

I have a dial-up and I rarely use it. Major danger for me comes from USB. I hadn't had any major problems with spyware so i have only two for now (+Spybot).

I am not an expert in security, you know. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2010 07:17PM by panzer.

Posted by: seeker
Date: September 07, 2010 02:28PM

Can anyone post for me or direct me to a listing of security software which
does not have to run in the background to provide protection? That would be
software that does not have to run as a regular program or as a service.
So it would not show as a running process or application. And it would not
show anything under "Services". Thanks to everyone who can post any programs.

Posted by: mhf
Date: September 07, 2010 07:01PM

seeker
Can anyone post for me or direct me to a listing of security software which
does not have to run in the background to provide protection? That would be
software that does not have to run as a regular program or as a service.
So it would not show as a running process or application. And it would not
show anything under "Services". Thanks to everyone who can post any programs.

seeker - difficult question but first what do you want to protect ? Your web surfing, your emails, your downloads or your IM etc. ?

A few suggestions to start with :

* up-to-date Hosts file blocking bad sites
* limited user account
* use KM with Policies Manager or NoScript (but the first option is better in my opinion)
* SpyWareBlaster (works like the Hosts file)
* not viewing emails in html format, i.e. in plain text only
* Proxomitron - very effective but difficult to learn all the ins and outs

That said I must add that I wouldn't rely on these options as your unique protection !

Then, of course, there is MalWareBytes AntiMalware and/or SuperAntiSpyware as on-demand scanners.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2010 07:39PM by mhf.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: September 10, 2010 03:31AM

Panzer,

I too use Outpost, but they are getting rid of it by October, so have you found a decent replacement in the freeware world, that is???

Tks.

N

Date: September 10, 2010 07:11AM

Really?

Effective October 1, 2010, Agnitum will no longer provide technical support or updates for all versions of Outpost Firewall Pro, Outpost Antivirus Pro, and Outpost Security Suite Pro older than v7.0.

I use Outpost free version 2009.

Btw, I am not a pro. I have no idea what to use. Look at this:

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

Only Comodo and Private Firewall are good and free.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 07:14AM by panzer.

Posted by: Paul
Date: September 20, 2010 03:49AM

I've given up with PrivateFirewall, it seems to leave port 135 open and fails the leaktest....both tests according to results at GRC's ShieldsUp. It's a shame because it's so easy to use for noob's like me!

Date: September 20, 2010 08:24AM

It's a shame that most of firewalls are crap.

Posted by: Paul
Date: September 20, 2010 11:13PM

I found this bit of software...Windows Worm Door Cleaner, it closes Port 135, DCOM and a few other 'risky' ports...so now PrivateFireWall gets the thumbs up at Shields Uptongue sticking out smiley

Softpedia

Date: September 21, 2010 04:28AM

panzer
Really?

Effective October 1, 2010, Agnitum will no longer provide technical support or updates for all versions of Outpost Firewall Pro, Outpost Antivirus Pro, and Outpost Security Suite Pro older than v7.0.

I use Outpost free version 2009.

Btw, I am not a pro. I have no idea what to use. Look at this:

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

Only Comodo and Private Firewall are good and free.

Panzer,

Wandered through the Outpost Forum and one of the moderators there says that at some unidentified time in the future, they will release an Outpost 7 Free!!!

<g> (I think)

N

Date: September 21, 2010 07:10AM

Great!

Date: September 23, 2010 07:49AM
Date: November 27, 2010 07:58AM

ndebord

Panzer,

Wandered through the Outpost Forum and one of the moderators there says that at some unidentified time in the future, they will release an Outpost 7 Free!!!

<g> (I think)

I have just found out that Outpost Firewall Suite v7 is free to download from their site.

http://free.agnitum.com/

Agnitum is the first security vendor to deliver a fully functional free version of an Internet security suite for Windows users. Outpost Security Suite FREE 7.0 builds on the acclaimed antivirus, firewall and proactive protection technologies.

Big download though: 110 Mb.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2010 07:59AM by panzer.

Date: November 27, 2010 10:15PM

panzer
ndebord

Panzer,

<g> (I think)

I have just found out that Outpost Firewall Suite v7 is free to download from their site.

http://free.agnitum.com/

Agnitum is the first security vendor to deliver a fully functional free version of an Internet security suite for Windows users. Outpost Security Suite FREE 7.0 builds on the acclaimed antivirus, firewall and proactive protection technologies.

Big download though: 110 Mb.

Panzer,

Thanks very much.. I run Outpost Firewall 2009 now and was hoping for an update to the new firewall standalone, but this looks very promising.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2010 10:20PM by ndebord.

Date: November 28, 2010 07:24PM

For some reason I can't register the free version. I hope they will send free key to me through email.

Yes, I would like just a firewall too. At installation it detected Avast and these two get along just great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2010 07:26PM by panzer.

Date: November 29, 2010 06:30PM

I did not get the free key so I installed Privatefirewall instead.

Date: November 30, 2010 05:09PM

panzer
For some reason I can't register the free version. I hope they will send free key to me through email.

Yes, I would like just a firewall too. At installation it detected Avast and these two get along just great.

panzer,

I'm holding out for Outpost to release just the firewall part of the suite, which should happen soon, now that they have released the suite. Don't much like the suite as the anti-virus part of it seems not as good as the more well-known free alternatives like AVG, Avira and Avast.

As you say, Avast and Outpost do work well together, but will look at other alternatives out there.

N

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.