Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Bibliophiles, enter!
Posted by: panzer
Date: December 30, 2010 10:06AM

Mitch Albom: Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mhf
Date: January 01, 2011 12:40PM

panzer
Monsieur mhf, as promised here is my last story:

http://www.2shared.com/document/fbSxs8ue/Town_in_a_desert.html

(parental control is advised due to strong violence)

Enjoy (if you can)!

Thanks panzer, looking good : I haven't finished it yet as I'm feeling a bit worse for wear - my hair hurts (french expression).

Happy New Year.

Date: January 03, 2011 08:15AM

Happy New Year to you too.

Date: January 05, 2011 09:17AM

Bennett: The Book of Virtues for Young People: A Treasury of Great Moral Stories

Bennett has compiled fables, stories, and poems that have served as inspiration since time immemorial. Courage, friendship, loyalty, honesty, self-discipline, compassion, responsibility, friendship, work, and faith are represented, with an introduction and commentary for each.

Keller: The Story of My Life

A remarkable account of overcoming the debilitating challenges of being both deaf and blind, has become an international classic, making Helen Keller one of the most well-known, inspirational figures in history.

Date: January 31, 2011 06:31PM

Gothic fantasy :

Arthur Machen - The Hill of Dreams

and most of his other works - which are not recent but recognized to be the inspiration for such as Lovecraft. Good reading.

Date: June 23, 2011 07:21AM

Campbell: The China Study

It examines the relationship between the consumption of animal products and illnesses such as cancers of the breast, prostate, and large bowel, diabetes, coronary heart disease, obesity, autoimmune disease, osteoporosis, degenerative brain disease, and macular degeneration.

Date: June 27, 2011 03:11PM

Richard David Precht: Who Am I and If So How Many?: A Journey Through Your Mind

Author deftly elucidates the questions at the heart of human existence: What is truth? Does life have meaning? Why should I be good? and presents them in concise, witty, and engaging prose.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: July 22, 2011 06:34PM

Three of my all-time favorites:

On the Eve of the Millennium
- The future of Democracy Through an Age of Unreason
Connor Cruise O'Brien

Language and Myth
Ernst Cassirer

Thinking on Paper
V.A. Howard & J.H. Barton

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2011 06:35PM by ndebord.

Date: August 01, 2011 11:02AM

Badulet: The last years of the Euro

A short book about how Germans were tricked by other Europeans to give up the Deutschmark for the Euro ...

Date: August 23, 2011 08:29AM

panzer
Apart from that 2 masterpieces from Vinge, I would also some day like to read Hothouse from Brian Aldiss (far future where plants rule the Earth), Of Men And Monsters from William Tenn (where huge aliens rule the Earth and humans are living like mice) and Midworld from Alan Dean Foster (all planet is covered by jungle).

They are not as known as today's sci-fi, but are much, much better.

Well, Hothouse was not as good as I expected, but Of men and monsters and Midworld certainly were.

Russell: Wasp (A human is dropped behind enemy lines on one of their planets and begins to sabotage the government so Earth could invade them.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2011 08:48AM by panzer.

Date: October 22, 2011 08:10AM

Glukhovsky: Metro 2033

Post-apocalyptic novel about humans, living underground in Moscow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2011 08:16AM by panzer.

Posted by: romelbrox2
Date: October 26, 2011 06:03AM

YAP

Date: November 02, 2011 08:56PM

A Maggot by John Fowles

Date: November 04, 2011 08:10AM

McDougall: Born to Run

Date: November 23, 2011 10:28AM

Moers: The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear, Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures, The City of Dreaming Books, The Alchemaster’s Apprentice

Funny books about fantasyland Zamonia - great for kids (and adults). It's gona make them/you laugh.

Date: January 16, 2012 09:06AM
Date: February 09, 2012 09:56AM

Nepo: The Book of Awakening

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2012 09:58AM by panzer.

Date: August 06, 2013 10:03AM

Bagus: The Tragedy of the Euro
Pdf version is free: http://mises.org/document/6045/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2013 10:03AM by panzer.

Date: August 13, 2013 08:46AM

Carter: The Education of Little Tree
Excellent book about young Indian, who lost both his parents and was adopted by his grandparents, who taught him about the Indian way of life. Highly recommended. (It was thought that this book was an autobiography, but it was later revealed that it was written by a Ku Klux Klan leader. Bizarre or what?)

Date: September 09, 2013 10:22AM

Kaiser: Interventionism and misery: 1929-2008
How governments and central banks ruined the world and why the worst is still to come

Date: May 31, 2014 07:00AM

Howey: Wool
Life of a group of people in a silo in post-apocalyptic America

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2014 07:01AM by panzer.

Date: March 28, 2015 10:05AM

Flasar: I Called Him Necktie

Posted by: siria
Date: March 28, 2015 11:12AM

A while ago I've read books and seen films about another real plane crash in high mountains, it happened in the Andes 1972, to a Uruguayan rugby team. Absolutely fascinating.

The plane was much smaller, don't remember exactly, guess about 40 seats. They crashed in chilling winter with strong winds, and so high up in the mountains it was nearly beyond helicopter reach at the time. After a few days of searching without finding the slightest trace the world was sure no none could still be alive in that freezing cold without any survival equipment, in several meter high snow, without food, without any animals or even plants around, just a white hell of ice and rocks, absolutely impossible. If any had survived the crash at all.
In deep winter and so high in the mountains, with a white plane surrounded by white snow, finding them was near impossible anyway. 1-2 times the rescuers flew right over them and didn't see them. Friends and relatives desperately kept on searching privately, but had no chance either.

In reality a miracle had happened, 2/3 of people in the plane had survived, by absolutely CRAZY luck and coincidences. Most even with minor injuries only.
But no one found them, and they were slowly starving and freezing to death. In what was left of the plane, broken apart in the middle, lost wings, lost tail, lost luggage, everything inside broken, with so little space they had to partly lie on top of each other to try to sleep and survive the unbearable cold.
To survive, they soon had no choice but to start eating the dead bodies of their friends (passengers were a rugby team mostly). After about 7 weeks and an avalanche about 1/3 of the passengers were still alive, when temperatures were finally mounting a bit and two of the survivors managed to climb over 4-5000m high mountains and escape back into civilization. That they managed and survived that climb was near-impossible too.

Later there were films and books about it, not all great quality, especially the hollywood film was rather a joke.
And decades later, one of the two guys who escaped over the mountains, did write up his own memories and feelings in detail. Would like to recommand his book. Along with a bunch of interview videos, and if interested other stuff, there's plenty.

The reports are absolutely breath-taking, with insight how people tick in such situations, slowly dying. And incredibly how much humans can suffer and still survive.

Book by Nando Parrado:
Miracle in the Andes

Posted by: coreyross
Date: May 07, 2015 09:17AM

I recommend "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexander Dumas. In this novel, Dumas tells us the revenge of Edmond Dante against his enemies who sent him in to the Chateau d'if. It is a must read novel and never miss it. I hope some of the guys here have been read it already.

Spam URL redirected to Gutenberg project. tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2015 06:23PM by guenter.

Date: September 27, 2016 07:34AM

Thieves Emporium

You Are Your Own Gym

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2016 07:35AM by panzer.

Date: October 04, 2016 12:07PM

Metro 2034

Watership Down

Date: October 12, 2016 10:24AM

War is a lie

Date: October 30, 2016 02:56PM

A Gentleman in Moscow

Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: November 05, 2016 04:17AM

Panzer, I see you have offered some of your own writings here in earlier postings.
Tried the links provided, but none seem to be active...

Might you re-post them ??

Thanks.

Date: November 06, 2016 09:37AM

I will take a look at them and if I'll find them to be good enough to be read, I'll post them here later this week ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2016 09:49AM by panzer.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.