FSF campaign agains Windows 7 (important)
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: January 24, 2010 06:47PM

Here are the links in english : http://en.windows7sins.org/

in French http://fr.windows7sins.org/

on english pages, there arte links for other languages.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Re: FSF campaign agains Windows 7 (important)
Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 24, 2010 09:14PM

they forgot greed

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: January 25, 2010 08:56AM

Sure ... but the more interesting in this page is the really easy to understand language used. It can be a good support to help basics users to definitively change from Windows to Linux.

I help a lot of people to repair their systems, but since a few time, tired of removing virus or/and reinstalling Windows, I refuse now to repair it and purpose them to save datas, remove Windows and install Ubuntu.

But it's difficult to convainc them. They have no reason, except their habits.

A such page, obviously readed before incidents can help them to decide to remove this shit when needed, and sometimes before ...

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: Fred
Date: January 25, 2010 05:14PM

A very good and detailed explanation of the
danger of monoculture.
May be a bit too detailed and long for many.
Could be they would understand some simple questions :
Would it be good to have just one car company,
so everybody would have to buy the same ?
Do you think that the price of the car would be
appropriate, if you would have no other choice ?
Do you think the quality of the car would then be
as it should be ?
So would you think that it is intelligent to support
one computer operating system only ?

Ah, we have the expensive Apple too.
That makes two of them. Quite a lot.

Fred

Date: January 25, 2010 07:20PM

i fink for most users they are intimidated by linux for 2 main reasons, they think it's too techy and not user friendly and the other reason, is they assume not enough supporting softare and they won't be able to open and edit their usual documents.

that's why they are more willing to convert to mac because it's famous for being user friendy and they will have all their software available in mac versions even though mac(new osx) is basically a sharp-dressed linux and actually there are more software options for linux distors than for mac.. but they are misinformed.

true, linux in general isn't the best in user-friendliness but more and more distors like ubuntu and knoppix can run easily out of the box and require less linux savviness to get to its core compared to others like freebsd

to help them understand..snapshots of the ubuntu desktop will help, show them the wide options of alternative programs and games, rest assure them that they will have good programs and games for their documents-in many cases even better than what ms offers and tell them that apple's os is based on linux..this should make them feel better about linux and help wean them off from windows

Posted by: slayer
Date: January 26, 2010 12:11AM

Why do they have a campaign ? MS is not trashing my freedom ha ha

I like Windows. It was my first OS (Win98se) and it works really well today.

You know, I make software, they are not that great. All of them are free and Open Source. I would like to make some money from some of my programs, it would be great but I don't know who is going to buy them, there are so many good free stuff around. On the other hand, there are so many abandoned Open Source projects on the internet, because people don't participate into the developing of such software. And people need money to pay their bills.

Do the advertisements give enough money to publishers ?
Should everything be free ?

Just my thoughts.

P.S. From time to time, I repair computers too.

Date: January 26, 2010 07:58PM

no, it's not about wndows being good or bad..they are good oses right to xp anyway grinning smiley but the thing is about offering choice to users.

like you have commercial software and free ones.. one user may prefer the commercial one, that's great but ms doesn't want other offerings whether in os or inapplications..they have their tactics to kill off development with competitors or deliberately avoiding open standards so you don't have any choice but to use their software and ofcourse you will need windows to run that software properly, it's a wicked cycle and ms expliots it very cunningly.

this should stop, ms has every right to do business but in the lack of proper competition; they can do whatever they want and offer their products in outrageous prices and they know the end-user will have to buy them because they don't have much choices. with competition they will be another player in the market, a still major player which makes very good profits but at reasonable prices and without taking advantage of pc users..it all ends in the consumer's benefit

Date: January 27, 2010 12:09AM

But I still don't understand how MS should take care of this, letting people choose what ? I don't think that the people is so foolish. Anyway, I see how Google becomes bigger right now.
BTW: I have seen very good reviews about Windows7. Was there a site against Vista?, I think Vista was a really bad OS. We should have a site claiming the Win98SE the best of all.grinning smiley

Date: January 27, 2010 02:40AM

i haven't tried 7 but read good reviews about it, mostly praise on fixing what went wrong in vista. i had bad experience with vista..it's not a nice os and i advise against it if :

- you have previously worked on macs
- you are an impatient person
- you have a history of substance/alcohol abuse
- you have a tendency to throw appliances from windows

Date: January 27, 2010 07:14PM

I've read that Vista was to 7, as Me was to XP. XP runs on almost everything, including my crappy computer.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.