Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Pages: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 44
freewares -part1
Posted by: Zoohooter
Date: August 16, 2008 07:52PM

Anyone familiar with this K-Meleon cloned browser? The author's site is down, but information and download link is here

http://www.download.com/Internet-Spirit-Web-Browser/3000-2356_4-10867234.html

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2010 02:29PM by disrupted.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Internet Spirit Web Browser
Posted by: guenter
Date: August 16, 2008 09:40PM

I find it out of order that the vendor uses a version number that is higher currently than one used by the developers of this software.

During install K-Meleon was running & the installer wizard of this Clone said: It appears that Internet Spirit or the loader is currently running... It must be closed before Internet Spirit 3.0 can continue installation.

Posted by: desga2
Date: August 16, 2008 09:45PM

Is the firs time that i see it. But is died.
You can look the before website from Google cache:
http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:I_zJp-jhbUUJ:www.hardycreations.com/+Hardy+Creations&hl=es&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=es

This is a 100% K-Meleon cloned browser.

P.S.: This is also named GhostFox browser.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2008 10:17PM by desga2.

Date: August 16, 2008 10:27PM

Guess You have to accept PPL reusing GPL code (it shows that the code is goodsmiling smiley )
But PPL should be fair and use the same or a lower version number as K-Meleon main project and not 3. like this US project or 2.x like a pt-BR and an AU project.
Mr. Hardy added some chimes & some PPL will like that. But IMHO You do not loose anything when You give credits & I am afraid most skins that come with the browser are for K-Meleon 1.0.x toolbars.cfg code.

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: August 16, 2008 10:46PM
Posted by: Panzer
Date: August 17, 2008 02:27PM

I use it for a month or so. And the I just went to K-Meleon. smiling smiley

Date: August 17, 2008 07:38PM

Zoohooter, use The World Browser instead if you want IE based browser(if you do not want K-Meleon, of course smiling smiley).

Posted by: Zoohooter
Date: August 17, 2008 11:08PM

@Panzer

oh no, I'm a anti IE person, I just happened by that browser and thought I would ask about it in here. K-Meleon has been my default browser every since I switch from Firefox (it just got to bloated and slow for me) a couple of years ago.

Posted by: Anonymous
Date: August 18, 2008 05:00PM

Greetings All. I thought the least that was fair is to give credit where it is due. Since the browser is a copy of K-Meleon and the guy does not acknowledge such I tried several times to post the below message at download.com. Now I wonder why
they will not publish it? Perhaps someone else would have more luck.

The attempted message:

Step 1: Rate this software:

Step 2: In one line, summarize your review:
BEST BROWSER EVER! PERIOD!

Step 3: Tell us what you like about this software (leave this field blank if there's nothing you like about this software):
First I have to say the above people are total fakes. If you people do not like the man for ripping off the K-Meleon web browser why not just say so? What is with the lies here? There is absolutely nothing wrong with this browser as K-Meleon is the Best ever made!

Date: August 18, 2008 05:27PM

@anonymous: done.

Date: August 18, 2008 08:46PM
Date: August 18, 2008 08:55PM

I installed IS. This is not the same browser as that one I used 2 years ago. That one was different somehow. I think (I think) it was IE based and it was IS 3.0 version. I guessed he dumped IE and went for K-Meleon.

But i must say, his installer looks nice. winking smiley

Date: August 18, 2008 08:56PM

Oh, I uninstalled it too.

Date: August 18, 2008 09:48PM

yeah.. looks like he's got a history of ripping-off other people's code (even if it's opensource, he doesn't bind to the GPL agreement)

here's what appears to be an IEshell:
http://youfailit.net/random/ripoff/mozillalite/

"Mozilla Lite is Commercial and is Distributed under the New "ËULA-MJH" License Agreement." whatever the *new*eula-mjh is..
yet, on the same page; he decided to change his mind and the program became a freebie: " Mozilla Lite is Freeware please enjoy it"

what's really funny, is the page is hosted on a sub-directory called ripoff, if you browse that; you'll find a list of programs and games.. atleast he's honest with himself:
http://youfailit.net/random/ripoff/

here's his take on the accusations:
http://tinyurl.com/5nf6hk

Date: August 19, 2008 12:51AM

youfailit.net isn't his site, it's sort of a chronicle and archive for his thefts.. this guy is a big-time scammer

start here: http://youfailit.net/?p=49
it's funny.. yet sad, a person can be so low.. and apparently his wife left him after she found out about his real profession.

i think someone should notify download.com/zdnet to remove his cloned k-meleon off their listings.

Date: August 19, 2008 01:00AM

he has a game called candy.. wonder where he ripped that from, anyway, it's hosted on sourceforge and it's commercial. how can sf accept that? projects on sf should be both free in binary and in code.. how do we contact sf to bring this guy down?

http://candygame.sourceforge.net/

Date: August 19, 2008 01:32AM

i contacted Scott.Ard@cnet.com (cnet download.com editor-in-chief) with this email:

a program listed on your download site at this link:
http://www.download.com/Internet-Spirit-Web-Browser/3000-2356_4-10867234.html?tag=mncol;lst&cdlPid=10871502

is a rip-off clone off the k-meleon browser, however k-meleon is an opensource software; yet internet spirit browser is in complete violation of the GNU GPL, the program is released as closed source, the program has not been granted permission for certain modifications from the developers, the program does not credit the actual developers of the code.

furthermore, the self-claimed author of the program: mike hardy, is a well-known code thief, you can find out more about his long history of scams and code stealing stories at this link: http://youfailit.net/?p=49

i hereby request that internet spirit browser be removed immediately from your site.

i suggest everybody email him, until they take off that program from the site

Date: August 19, 2008 01:41AM

i have this gut feeling that anonymous is nothing else but mr. hardy himself..
if you trod around here often and you're reading this.. you are going down mister!

Date: August 19, 2008 02:42AM

check this out:
http://candygame.sourceforge.net/
(sells for 14.95 u.s.. never mind that)

then check this out:
http://candycrisis.sourceforge.net/

go figure..

Date: August 19, 2008 02:54AM

hardy stolen software at reg.net:
https://secure.reg.net/Search.asp?searchtype=3&sessid={C22678F2-D135-4097-975B-30CDA310A60E}&TemplateID=-1&criteria=&ProductID=&authorid=6211&s=0&TemplateID=-1

candy volcano= candy crisis
creative paint= paint.net
super michael= supermario

it won't be long till he starts charging for his ripped k-meleon..

Date: August 19, 2008 02:57AM
Date: August 19, 2008 09:25AM

disrupted(unlogged)
i have this gut feeling that anonymous is nothing else but mr. hardy himself..
if you trod around here often and you're reading this.. you are going down mister!

@disrupted(unlogged), I am very upset at such a suggestion. Why do I go by the name Anonymous? Well is it not obvious? I do not want anyone upset with me. I did not rip off K-Meleon. You may think I was bragging about the cloned browser. But I was not. Please read again what I said. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this browser as K-Meleon is the Best ever made! K-Meleon by another name is still
K-Meleon. I do not think any of those download.com statements to be true. That is
because K-Meleon does not have any of those mentioned flaws. I have already tried
that browser on many computers and it has none of those problems because it is a
K-Meleon.
Anyway I see by this Cons: K-meleon clone without crediting the real people behind the browser. in violation of the GPL licence. that you did post my original
message but with that addition. Very well said.
So as I said before I am not Mr. Hardy. And I hope there are no misunderstandings.
You would think the guy would just give credit where the GNU requires. Not
complicated. smiling smiley

Date: August 19, 2008 12:17PM

@Anonymous (mail14.anonymouse.org) &
@Anonymous (mail189.anonymouse.org)

You have to expect some resentment and hasty reading of Your posts because some posters from anonymouse.org felt in the past that they can troll or post under several guises. If politically possible in Your country - get at least a normal nik here (only our Forum moderators /the spam guardssmiling smiley/ see the anonymouse.org IPs). That should make sure that Your posts are read normally by everyone else.

BTW. Theoretically Mr. Hardy can come under any guise. He is welcome to come here
( obviously he likes and is using K-Meleon & this are K-Meleon's Forums grinning smiley )

p.s. I also resent using anonymouse.org to come here - We give no reason to distrust us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2008 12:21PM by guenter.

Date: August 19, 2008 06:01PM

@ Guenter, I am very disturbed by the resentment you have for my coming here using
http://anonymouse.org/. I would think that given what country you live in that you
of all people would appreciate the need for privacy and secrecy. Would it not have
been greatly beneficial to your country for the citizens to have thought the same
over 60 years ago? Please do not misunderstand me on this one. I do have more
respect for your country than all others given what you went through and the great
respect for privacy so many there have. So I hope to make it clear that I am not
trying to start some problems here as some have had in the past. I would like to
keep this forum as the most peaceful one on the internet. Let me add that a search
of these forums shows that Anonymouse is very popular with users. It is easy to
see that the majority of forum users agree with the above ideas pertaining to
privacy given that and things such as the Anti Registration thread a few years
ago. As I recall alomost everyone was against mandatory forum registration.
So in closing I want to again state that this: p.s. I also resent using anonymouse.org to come here - We give no reason to distrust us. is very
upsetting. I do not "distrust" K-Meleon users. Privacy is for reasons such as
you state here: Mr. Hardy can come under any guise. He is welcome to come here
So Guenter I do not want to cause any ill will here.
Anyone who thinks I am just being paranoid should feel free to comment. smiling smiley

Date: August 19, 2008 08:44PM

@ disrupted, Michael Hardy mentions a dead parent - that possibly gives the economical or emotional reason for the behavior that astonishes some and infuriates others.

@Anonymous (mail26.anonymouse.org) aka Anonymous (mail14.anonymouse.org) aka
Anonymous (mail189.anonymouse.org)

If You checked properly, we did not want mandatory registration because it could prevent helpless users to post their question - privacy was no issue.

& Nobody wants to hijack this thread to discuss whether a Forum user is paranoid.

IMHO the rest is off topic. I do not think that You were effected negatively by any of that history You mention. It has nothing to do with You coming into this thread with three different ID. I merely tried to tell You why I think some PPL understand Your posts in this way.

p.s. I generally consider it indecent to invoke memories of other countries history or mention persons & their countries with words that could be understood that way. In Use-Net PPL who do this can default to loose the ongoing argument & can be baned. Here: such threads can be closed & PPL that have transgressed netiquette may loose posts as soon as someone complains.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2008 08:48PM by guenter.

Date: August 20, 2008 03:25PM

Finally, Orca Browser 1.1 (ALPHA) is out.

Date: August 20, 2008 03:26PM
Date: August 20, 2008 07:45PM

@Panzer nice find - thank You.

You can likely try to use it as GRE ( Firefox/Xulrunner functions/dll mainly in the xul.dll that makes it fast ) for K-Meleons that are for 1.9 engine. AFAIK Hao & Fred use K-Meleon for 1.9 for tests.

GRE: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008070622 Firefox/3.0 Orca/1.x. with default compile argument that builds XUL.dll. I expect that we will get very similar GRE when K-Meleon must move to 1.9 for good. So we can IMHO regard this as preview.

If You trimm the chrome's browser.jar etc. of not needed stuff You can get better startup and general performance both for K-Meleon and original Orca ( I have tested this for older Orca's RC 3 - but it should work here also ). IMHO WE will get trimmed chromes when K-Meleon moves to 1.9 GRE grinning smiley

Note: You cannot use it under Win9.x.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2008 07:53PM by guenter.

Date: August 20, 2008 08:25PM

I tried to use Orca but it wont work. I cannot set my proxy configuration (well, I can, but it won't work). I thought that with the new version I could at least see if it is any good. But I had to uninstall it.

Hopefully someone will try it at tell us how it compares to FF and others.

How fast is orca anyway and is it faster than K-Meleon?

Date: August 20, 2008 08:44PM

hi gunter,i didn't get it.. with gecko1.9, you mean kmeleon will no longer use mfc and rely on xul for interface? why need a browser chrome? and won't that make kmeleon much slower relying on xul...........

freewares: part1
Posted by: disrupted
Date: February 04, 2010 02:30PM

test test

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2010 02:38PM by disrupted.

Pages: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 44

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.