Unexpected situation on installing the Event Logging module: running the install queries from file ./mods/event_logging/db/mysql/2.php failed. The error was ALTER command denied to user 'k14285rw'@'172.30.30.73' for table `k14285_kmeleon`.`phorum_event_logging` freewares: part1
Re: Internet Spirit Web Browser
Posted by: Terry
Date: August 20, 2008 10:18PM

Actually, Orca is now to Alpha 3. You can download it here: http://www.avantbrowser.com/release/alpha3/obeta.exe

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: August 20, 2008 10:24PM

hi panzer, i've tested this shitty program and yes, it doesn't connect here either..
their forum sez it's an rc release.. the file sez it's a beta release, yet the about dialog sez it's alpha.. not sure whom to believe, but in my opinion it isn't good enough for an alpha.

how do you release a browser in whatever release lacking it's main function: to connect to the internet, how are we supposed to test this crap.. i have no idea.

connect directly.. use ie connection settings.. directing it to my isp proxy, it doesn't matter because it never saves settings and never connects,

the out-of-the-box interface is junk and maybe some will like the aqua theme, but i'm a no skins person, and when i opt for windows classic, it's just another theme.. how about no theme? nope.. you gotta have a theme ofcourse because the mainbar is integrated inside the titlebar.. how fkenfabulous! and naturally all that junk uses pointless ram. i hate themes that ride over the actual windows api.. first because they are pointless eye-candy(actually eye-sore) and second because my windows classic colours don't go well with themes and i have to squint to see my menus.

it's not faster at launch than k-meleon(i'm guessing themes will do that).. and i can't tell if it renders faster than k-meleon because..well... it doesn't connect!

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 20, 2008 10:59PM

@ disrupted - You are spoiled by Dorian naturally Orca is an Alpha or such tongue sticking out smiley

& Sorry 4 causing such missunderstanding.

Absolutely: K-Meleon core is from MFC & will continue to be so & IMHO K-Meleon will continue to use win32 native interfaces for everything that has to move/change fast. & K-Meleon will only use XUL for config menus where speed does not matter.

Anything else will make K-Meleon 10% or more slower (IMHO & like You said).

What I wanted to say: K-Meleon will have to move to a supported GRE. I do not know when (my guess: end 2009?). The next is 1.9. And at 1.9 we (I - if I recover) will trim unused parts of chrome (like a K-Meleon community member, a dev or recently a me a user, always did). This current Orca's xul.dll must run Firefox plus several other apps such as TBird, SongBird ... K-Meleon can use it but a xul.dll that is only for K-Meleon need contain only what K-Meleon (a browser only application) needs.

Startup time is e.g. influenced by the amount of chrome that is loaded but there is no good 1.9 chrome for K-Meleon yet. It is trimmed but contains errors sad smiley

@Panzer Orca's rendering speed is comparable to Firefox 3 or K-Meleon for 1.9.. Orca seems to start faster than FFox but little & is definitely slower than K-Meleon's.

I have not tried with this Orca. But K-Meleon for 1.9 normal chrome (not ME) worked fine with 1.9 Xulrunner files. Several here found this tech by trial and error. After a few days someone will have checked & will offer a download if it works.

You also can try Yourself & copy from Hao's for 1.9 the K-Meleon specific files to Your Orca folder - If You use files from a ME? Try & copy ./Chrome folder to .orca/chrome and ./components/chrome.xpt. and Chrmlite.dll to ./orca/components - then delete orca's compreg.dat and xpti.dat.

K-Meleon parts should take care that proxy can work smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2008 11:46PM by guenter.

Posted by: Terry
Date: August 20, 2008 11:52PM

I have used Orca alpha 3 and it does connect through a proxy. So, it does work. It is very fast (though unstable at times). Hao's CCF version v.9 has really gotten to be a nice program. It too is fast and has no problems with the proxy. K-M 1.5 is no slouch and on some pages is faster than Orca or Hao's K-M. Dorian's K-M is flawless with its proxy.

Date: August 20, 2008 11:56PM

hi guenter, thanks for clearing that up for me.. i'm so glad km will stick to mfc where it matters. i tried hao's 1.9, and it was a tad slower at launch than regular km.. 1.9 does seem faster at rendering pages but it isn;t that noticeable; the acid tests were much better though(who cares?).. anyway, i'm not very excited about engines that nolonger support win9x even when i primarily use xpee...and there's no need to rush to 1.9, people just have to wait till it's done right.

thanks again and i hope you recover soon.

Date: August 21, 2008 12:51AM

sorry yes..it does connect, when terry said it worked with him, i thought maybe because i didn't really install it and just extracted the files from the setup exe... and that was assured when i tried opening a local html file and that didn't work, so i installed it and it connected normally.(needed to register mozx.dll)

some pages do render somewhat faster than k-meleon..others are the same or faster on k-meleon.

after around 15 minutes of testing..i came to my first conclusion(crappy) and i decided to uninstall it.. naturally i never made it the default browser.. but for some strange reason and during the uninstall it decided to revert ie as default(km was my default) and not just that, it removed my custom icons and all my context menu commands on all html related files, and left me with the context menus of a fresh install of windows(open and open in new window), luckily i use erunt to back my registry so it wasn't a big deal ..yet beware before installing it or rather uninstalling it.

backup your registry first or use windows sys restore thingy http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt

better if you just extract the files and just register mozx.dll but in the end, there's no point as it isnt worth any trouble, if you wanna fiddle with something new, try arora webkit: http://code.google.com/p/arora/

conclusion: one of the worst browsers i've ever encountered.. stay clear

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 21, 2008 04:14PM

disrupted(unlogged)
better if you just extract the files and just register mozx.dll but in the end,

Thx for mentioning it (I wondered why it did not work when I tried at a new place).

I tested & use the GRE with a K-Meleon for 1.9. Some things seem improved with other aspects our slimmer but modular 1.8 & 1.9 GREs look better then the potentially faster 1.9 Xul.dll. & the Firefox chrome makes slow starts and eats about 10% of the engines potential JavaScript performance.

Orca would also benefit from slimmed GRE and chrome.
I do not like its advertizing of features.

p.s. This post was written with Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko K-Meleon/1.5.0 Firefox/3.0 the Orca GRE.

Posted by: caktus
Date: August 21, 2008 11:52PM

disrupted
use erunt to back my registry

ERUNT is by far better than SR when it come to putting everything back the way it was. Well, with the exception of NFT.
Theres supposedly an addition to the source code that can fix this, but darned it I can work it out.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: Panzer
Date: August 22, 2008 09:12AM

I installed Orca on my desktop since I have no admin privileges on comp at work.

I wouldn't change K-Meleon even if Oeca would be stable and faster. If Orca would be safer browser, then maybe.

Thanx, Disrupted. I will try Aurora.

Date: August 22, 2008 09:15AM

When they develop it a little further. winking smiley

Date: August 22, 2008 12:26PM

when kmeleon eventually makes the transition to gecko 1.9, the only comparison between all gecko browsers will be in terms of:
1- interface
2- launch time
..and there will simply be no match to km when it comes to those... and judging by orca's gui; it's already at the bottom of the list.

arora seems to be on the right path, i like to think of it as the webkit k-meleon, the developers concentrate on what really matters..very responsive browser, simple and functional interface, .. unfortunately the webkit engine itself is littered with bugs, so it will be a while before arora becomes a serious browser and it appears that most guys developing over webkit; give up early and abandon their projects.. i hope the folks at arora will stick around till webkit is mature and fully functional.

Date: August 25, 2008 05:17PM

It is getting crowded in gecko stable: FF, Flock, K-Meleon, Orca and now Internet Spirit browser. Who is gonna be next ...Avant, Green browser, IE winking smiley winking smiley winking smiley

Date: August 25, 2008 05:29PM

Did anyone tried Bluto XT-the self proclaimed fastest browser

http://www.freewarefiles.com/Bluto-XT_program_22873.html

or NotJustBrowsing-third generation browser with 2 layout engines: Gecko and Trident.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/NotJustBrowsing-V_program_13020.html

Just wondering is this just hype or do they have some useful features ...

Date: August 25, 2008 05:48PM

Or this browser which was my intermediate solution after I left IE and went to FF ( and soon after to K-Meleon winking smiley)

http://www.freewarefiles.com/TheWorld-Browser_program_31635.html

or the popular browser in Japan-Sleipnir (Gecko/Trident), which is gearing up to challenge FF and IE

http://www.freewarefiles.com/Sleipnir_program_34663.html

And for last school case of two browsers which look like something browser should never do (i.e. they have numerous features which we never use)
Green browser
http://www.freewarefiles.com/GreenBrowser_program_18902.html
Slim Browser
http://www.freewarefiles.com/Slim-Browser-Beta_program_5700.html

If some of you should test them (even if it is for fun), tell us for their pros and cons. I would test them, but I am no pro. ;(

Posted by: reeko124
Date: August 25, 2008 06:38PM

Also you could try crazybrowser its built on ie so that is why I no longer use it.
http://www.crazybrowser.com. Its actually the fastest browser I have used besides just a text based but those don't count.

I have downloaded and used alot so maybe I can review a few on here. The one fact is I stick with K-meleon because its not IE and it has the one program from FireFox I can't live without Ad Block Plus (i'm on dial up lol). Even though it is faster then FF if it didn't have ABP I would still be using FF. The fact it got it makes k-meleon an awesome program that sadly alot of people seem to not know about. I do try other browsers all the time and have only had this a few months but it moves along seamlessly for me and it is my default. I'll put some reviews up soon if anyone would like me to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2008 06:40PM by reeko124.

Posted by: reeko124
Date: August 25, 2008 06:53PM

guenter

Note: You cannot use it under Win9.x.

If I can make FF3 run under win98 I can probably get that browser to run on it also guenter grinning smiley. Thats on my other computer but I run XP on this one.

Date: August 25, 2008 07:24PM

of those you've listed; i've tried sleipnir and the world browser, which are basically ie shells.. with all ie's security flaws.

sleipnir's advertised strong point and according to finrir.co whatsit creators; is it's ability to use both trident and gecko engines.. which could be nothing further from the truth. sleipnir in the end is nothing more than another ie shell, the gecko implementation is very limited, not much different than using the ietab for switching kmeleon or firepox to trident's engine. also, the gecko engine supplied is quite old now(1.7).

furthermore, sleipnir is not exactly stable..it never crashed but it produces a lot of errors when trying suddenly to do something it wasn't really expecting.. like say, right-clicking on a page when that page hasn't finished loading yet, or trying to access the main menus when it has just been launched.. it has some very odd bugs.

i don't understand why it's so popular in japan ..maybe because of the ability to use the trident engine and still customise it with skins and other themes to suit your desires(japanese people love colours and fading effects etc.. and they adore japanese products). another very annoying thing i find about it; is the spacing between menu commands.. it's way big, that an average menu containing 10-12 commands will almost extend right to the bottom of my 17" screen.. i'm thinking perhaps because it was originally written to suit unicode japanese characters that it looks rather outlandish with english text. it's quite a decent browser but because it's just another ie shell, i 'dn't care less.. but if i did like trident, i'd take it any day over ie7 because its implementation of tabs is way better... that said, sleipnir weakest point comes in the options overkill, sometimes it gets so confusing that even the most patient end-user will get tired of it.

the most thing i find useful with sleipnir, is the ability to switch engines on the fly.. albeit the limitation of its gecko, it can come very handy when testing sites and that's why i still keep it. it also remembers the engine used with your visited sites and will automatically switch to that engine everytime you go to that same address.. which i think is quite neat.

the world browser.. besides the fact it's another ie shell, it's shit.. just like orca it cannot run without an overriding theme because again.. menu bar inside the titlebar... something not exactly right to do with the windows api, and those kind of programs(be it a browser or anything else) don't live long on my hd.. worldbrowser probably broke the record, because i just opened it.. looked at it and it went right to the bin, so i can't give you any feedback on how it functions, features.. but it's an ie shell and it doesn't respect windows api=crap(to me anyways).

it is getting somewhat crowded with the gecko stable(especially with the addition of the marvellous orca), but i think flock is different.. it's targeting a special audience with builtin features for bloggers and those "social-networks" fans and that's very smart..

Date: August 25, 2008 08:31PM

Thanx for your suggestions.

Date: August 25, 2008 08:33PM

What engine do Bluto and Notjustbrowsing using then?

Date: August 25, 2008 08:37PM

Btw, I am sticking to K-meleon. But it is good to know what others have or don't have to offer.

Date: August 25, 2008 09:31PM

notjustbrowsing is supposedly with 2 engines (gecko-trident),supporting both engines equally while rendering mainly on gecko .. it's worth testing out.

http://www.notjustbrowsing.com/twin_engine.htm

bluto is an ie shell.. which was hard to find out since their site is vague and doesn't mention anything important and claims to be the fastest browser in the world..which in my opinion; a claim no serious programmer will make. at a whooping 20mb size just as an ie shell is a serious bloat alert.. which explains that there's a lite version at just 400kb, i wonder what features he had to bundle inside the non-lite version to grow to this size.. and i find the mosaic-like interface rather ludicrous.. so this one doesn't sound like worth the trouble, if you want to check it out, download the lite version.. because it's probably safer : http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Browsers/Bluto-XT-Light.shtml

worth checking out more is their other software.. especially that mp3 player with dancers ..http://www.blackhatsoftware.com/Mp3Slave.htm
i wonder why he calls it slave..

Posted by: panzer
Date: November 03, 2008 07:07PM
Posted by: foobarly
Date: November 05, 2008 05:18PM

disrupted(unlogged)
the world browser.. besides the fact it's another ie shell, it's shit.. just like orca it cannot run without an overriding theme because again.. menu bar inside the titlebar... something not exactly right to do with the windows api, and those kind of programs(be it a browser or anything else) don't live long on my hd.. worldbrowser probably broke the record, because i just opened it.. looked at it and it went right to the bin, so i can't give you any feedback on how it functions, features.. but it's an ie shell and it doesn't respect windows api=crap(to me anyways).

it is getting somewhat crowded with the gecko stable(especially with the addition of the marvellous orca), but i think flock is different.. it's targeting a special audience with builtin features for bloggers and those "social-networks" fans and that's very smart..

I just wanted to dispute your take on TWB. Your gripe about its non-conformity with the windows interface directives is real, but this CAN be changed via the program's options to a more conventional look.

I have been using it as a my USB drive portable browser and I must say that I rather like it. It IS an IE shell, it runs the system IE engine which is almost omnipresent, and it works rather well. Also it has loads of options like skins, adblocking, plugins and so on.

Although I'm a veteran KM user and will remain so, I must confess that TWB is my choice for an IE frontend... eye rolling smiley

Date: November 05, 2008 05:48PM

Orca 1.1 is beta3.

http://www.orcabrowser.com/

Date: November 05, 2008 05:56PM

TWB is not as secure as some other browsers, but for "normal browsing" is OK.

Date: November 06, 2008 10:53AM

@Panzer:

Could you substantiate that, please? :O

Date: November 07, 2008 02:27PM

Well, I read this on their forum (http://bbs.ioage.com/en/) half a year ago. They were talking about a fact that TWB uses 128 bit encryption instead of 256 bit so TWB is not a browser you want to use for online banking, That is all I know.

Date: November 07, 2008 02:38PM

Thanks, mate. I'll look into it at the next opportunity and report back... :s

Date: November 18, 2008 03:47PM

Can anyone (more advanced members) review this browsers:

http://www.cometbird.com/

http://www.jawoco.com/hd/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2008 03:48PM by panzer.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 18, 2008 04:48PM

cometbird= firefox3 with preinstalled extensions (it's no faster than ff..all those claims are rubbish)

xtravo explorer is an ie shell(bad) built with .net(even worse)= absolute crap
unlike most ie shells; xtravo didn't make use of the original ie context menu which can be useful for some.. it's very very sluggish and the interface is unstable probably due to .net 2.0

i found a good link on comet's site for this video player: http://www.mpcstar.com/
it's similar to vlc.. comes with own codecs and doesn't need directx, has a nice simple interface like old wmp or mpc.. it seems stable, will have to test out it more (especially with qt formats like 3gp which vlc normally has issues with)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.
K-Meleon

Fatal error: Uncaught TypeError: mysqli_escape_string(): Argument #1 ($mysql) must be of type mysqli, null given in /home/project-web/kmeleon/htdocs/erfurt-1.02b/ewiki.php:3888 Stack trace: #0 /home/project-web/kmeleon/htdocs/erfurt-1.02b/ewiki.php(3888): mysqli_escape_string(NULL, 'WebsiteMenu') #1 /home/project-web/kmeleon/htdocs/erfurt-1.02b/ewiki.php(3587): ewiki_database_mysql::GET('WebsiteMenu', 0) #2 /home/project-web/kmeleon/htdocs/erfurt-1.02b/ewiki.php(3850): ewiki_db::GET('WebsiteMenu', NULL) #3 /home/project-web/kmeleon/include/menu.inc.php(24): ewiki_database('GET', Array) #4 /tmp/tpl-kmeleon3-footer-e27cfd0d7ba81d2da26491d6f6114c48.php-stage2(23): include('/home/project-w...') #5 /tmp/tpl-kmeleon3-footer-e27cfd0d7ba81d2da26491d6f6114c48.php(7): include('/tmp/tpl-kmeleo...') #6 /home/project-web/kmeleon/htdocs/phorum-core-php78-compat/include/api/output.php(359): include('/tmp/tpl-kmeleo...') #7 /home/project-web/kmeleon/htdocs/phorum-core-php78-compat/read.php(879): phorum_api_output(Array) #8 {main} thrown in /home/project-web/kmeleon/htdocs/erfurt-1.02b/ewiki.php on line 3888