Gmail changes SLL from 2 to 3
Posted by: ndebord
Date: March 13, 2010 01:43PM

Well that was not fun.... aside from Outlook/Outlook Express, my email clients now refuse to work with Google GMail. Pop/SMTP are down because it seems they have (overnight and with no warning) moved from SSL2 to SSL3. That means that my favorite email clients (Foxmail 5 and Pegasus) no longer work and so I am struggling to find a replacement.

Not fun.

N

Re: Gmail changes SLL from 2 to 3
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: March 13, 2010 02:56PM

Perhaps Thunderbird, I remember they have an extension for gmail.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2010 02:56PM by JujuLand.

Re: Gmail changes SLL from 2 to 3
Posted by: disrupted
Date: March 13, 2010 03:00PM

i can still access them in outlook express, i don't know if oe supports ssl3 and that's why.. maybe your ports needs to be changed

if this helps

Re: Gmail changes SSL from 2 to 3
Date: March 13, 2010 03:58PM

disrupted
i can still access them in outlook express, i don't know if oe supports ssl3 and that's why.. maybe your ports needs to be changed

if this helps

Disrupted,

Nope... it's not ports, in the beginning, you didn't have to have SSL with Google, then you did with SSL2 and now they've moved to SSL3. I won't use Thunderbird, it is just not robust enough (they've never, to my mind, fixed the bugs) and too quirky. The old messenger component in Netscape 4 was better (sorry Charlie).

As for Foxmail, I really love version 5, but if I have to move, I need to find a replacement. I actually was going to go to the Simple Mail extension in FF, but I don't much like FF, so that is a non-starter for me.

I liked Foxmail for many reasons, one that was enjoyable was its default email format was text, but if you clicked on an icon, it read html in IE; if you right clicked, an option came up to open up html in your default browser, which of course meant KM!

I don't know where else I can find that capability.

I am increasingly disliking Google for its practices which remind me these days of MicroSoft.

SOB

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2010 03:59PM by ndebord.

Date: March 14, 2010 05:51PM

desga2,

Thanks, I'll look into those. Right now I want to try out Stunnel, but need to find out what settings to change in stunnel.conf and in Foxmail5's accounts.

N

Posted by: Davep
Date: March 15, 2010 07:06AM

I use a programme called Pocomail. It must use SSL3 since I can access my gmail accounts with no problem today.

I have it setup to use SSL, with pop3 incoming, (pop,gmail.com) using port 995, and for outgoing smtp, (smtp.gmail.com) using port 587. Works like a charm for me.

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: March 15, 2010 09:53AM

try this obscure grinning smiley client.. it's quite powerful and secure and i was able to send/recieve google without errors so supports ssl and tsl

http://www.simail.si/screenshots/ (opensource)
even uses phoentity so kinda looks kmeleon-familiar and you can change themes too

Date: March 17, 2010 05:24AM

Thanks to everyone. I tried your programs and liked them all. Also tried Pegasus one more time and revived Popcorn (not enough features).

Don't have the free time to play so using Stunnel in Startup and Foxmail 5 and it all works seamlessly and well. Google is satisfied, it sees SSL3 and I get to use my favorite Foxmail without having to learn a new program right now.

Much thanks.

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.