Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
About safe way to share mail addresses
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: September 19, 2014 12:20AM

Asked the above by JamesD I start this thread.

As I don't know if Phorum has permissions (user groups, show mail to certain groups, etc), or if guenter has admin access to the mysql database to extract the mails (and share with others, even if it is against data protection laws in Europe (with Spain one that can't be done without consent)), or to add a PM system to Phorum (if available); a way to share them without being catched by bots is make them an image without a clickable link.

You have this site:
http://services.nexodyne.com/email/

But, as you can see by my signature, I didn't choose to use it. Why? Because I bet that already must be a bot out there that makes character recognition for that kind of images. But these were useful when the recognition wasn't as popular as before captcha and was made by capturing text through the source code.

That is why I decided to make my signature by myself.

But, in the other hand, I bet, as you said in the past, that you can't read my signature (trick, zoom it to 200% or so and set the following in usercontent.css, as bicubic interpolation blurs a lot zoomed images, img{image-rendering: -moz-crisp-edges!important} (this will change to nearest neighbour interpolation (for all images, so remember to reset it))), as you hated captchas.

Anyway, what I was trying to say is that I'm offering to make pseudo-captcha mail signatures as a kind of safe way to share mail addresses if you agree with these unreadable images.

I can't guarantee anything too.

Until now, I haven't received any spam or anything else and I've been using since January.

Also, I don't know if someone have used it yet, even I did just in case someone needed it as I was almost disappeared from this forum, prior to my 74 beginnings...

What do you think?

P.S.: for the god shake, someone with programming knowledge could try to make a spellchecker compatible with K-meleon 74!!! confused smiley disrupted, where are you? winking smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
About safe way to share mail addresses
Posted by: guenter
Date: September 19, 2014 11:58AM

I do not know to use Your picture with the mail. sad smiley

But You may have noticed that You can see my mail address when You click my name.

(At least it used to be that way. Just noticed that I needed to allow it again after changing the mail.)

I have never received any SPAM because of this - so bots cannot mail havest addresses in that section of our Phorum. If You want to make even more sure than that - maybe create a spare mail address for this Forum and post that instead.

But You can also tell me to forward Your own mail-address to someone.

Yes, I also wished that spell would work. We have to live with it. mark307 from Japan created the dll that improved/made the K-Meleon integration of Mozilla spell. I have not heard of him for a long time.

Currently even the rudimentary Mozilla spell does not work.

disrupted has not as much time as he wishes. He recently wrote a mail.

His heart is here even when he isn't participating.

p.s. I can see the addresses because an admin needs them sometimes to notify and help people.

It was always against custom to give someones telefon number or other details without prior consent. So it did never matter for me, whether it is EC law not. grinning smiley

And European law is not applicable.

kmeleon.sourceforge.net

http://www.utrace.de/?query=kmeleon.sourceforge.net

Domain: kmeleon.sourceforge.net
IP-Adresse: 216.34.181.96
Provider: SAVVIS Communications Corporation
Region: Chesterfield (US)

The same for SF.

IP: 216.34.181.60 [DNS]
Name: sourceforge.net [Whois]
State/Region: Missouri
City: Chesterfield

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2014 12:23PM by guenter.

Re: About safe way to share mail addresses
Date: September 19, 2014 01:45PM

guenter
I do not know to use Your picture with the mail. sad smiley

There is nothing to know. Just read the address that it is in the pattern winking smiley For me is clearer just because I know what text is it.

guenter
But You may have noticed that You can see my mail address when You click my name.

Yes, but that isn't valid for the rest of users who have set their mails to hidden. I guess that is the reason JamesD asked for a safer way to share.

guenter
(At least it used to be that way. Just noticed that I needed to allow it again after changing the mail.)

I have never received any SPAM because of this - so bots cannot mail havest addresses in that section of our Phorum. If You want to make even more sure than that - maybe create a spare mail address for this Forum and post that instead.

Indeed, the mail that I use is a disposable addresss by the AddressGuard system by Yahoo, but the point is not that.

In the other hand, looks like you had luck on making it public and not receive any spam. I never do for any site/forum I use because it happened quite a few times to me from the old Usenet times (because sites didn't care in the past about hide addresses).

guenter
But You can also tell me to forward Your own mail-address to someone.

True, but that's another reason that maybe I guess JamesD was asking for. There isn't a safe and quick way to contact others, unless you make the mail public.

guenter
p.s. I can see the addresses because an admin needs them sometimes to notify and help people.

I know, I'm admin too, but [kind of] quoting Spider-man, big power, big reponsabilities tongue sticking out smiley

guenter
It was always against custom to give someones telefon number or other details without prior consent. So it did never matter for me, whether it is EC law not. grinning smiley

And European law is not applicable.

kmeleon.sourceforge.net

http://www.utrace.de/?query=kmeleon.sourceforge.net

Domain: kmeleon.sourceforge.net
IP-Adresse: 216.34.181.96
Provider: SAVVIS Communications Corporation
Region: Chesterfield (US)

The same for SF.

IP: 216.34.181.60 [DNS]
Name: sourceforge.net [Whois]
State/Region: Missouri
City: Chesterfield

Even if the server was in China, the administrator is european and should respect what consider best. In fact, the site doesn't have a TOS or privacy policy, so you can do what you like. If we must obey some TOS or privacy policy, maybe we should accept the one of Sourceforge or Slashdot.

But, in my case, as administrator and privacy advocate, I'd never consider to do anything with any information in the databases, even I can read PM and so on, even if I'm using a hosting in autralia (just an example). This was a point of view, as most of the most active users are european, aren't we? winking smiley and that's the reason I said about the European laws winking smiley

Anyway, I leave the offer here. The mail to contact me is in my signature, if you can read it tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2014 01:46PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: September 19, 2014 05:01PM

I am pretty much content to ask Guenter to ask another user if they are willing to exchange e-mails with me. I always want the other user to able to make the choice.

Date: September 19, 2014 05:19PM

Ok smiling smiley

Posted by: Yogi
Date: October 13, 2014 06:47PM

JohnHell

Anyway, I leave the offer here. The mail to contact me is in my signature, if you can read it tongue sticking out smiley

I had to use an image editor to make sure my eyes don't cheat me.

Greetings to España smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.