Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Government to Help Criminals Steal Your Identity
Posted by: Concerned Computer User
Date: August 01, 2011 08:57PM

If anyone knows how to make this message appear better please do edit it for me.

Electronic Frontier Foundation
EFF is the leading civil liberties group defending
your rights in the digital world. » About Us

* Home
* About
* Our Work
* Deeplinks Blog
* Press Room
* Take Action
* Join EFF

Don't Let Congress Order Internet Companies to Spy on You: Oppose the Data Retention Bill

The U.S. House of Representatives is currently considering H.R. 1981, a bill that would order our online service providers to keep new logs about our online activities, logs to help the government identify the web sites we visit and the content we post online. This sweeping new "mandatory data retention" proposal treats every Internet user like a potential criminal and represents a clear and present danger to the online free speech and privacy rights of millions of innocent Americans.

Tell your Representative to oppose this dangerous bill, before it's too late.

H.R. 1981 would impose sweeping requirements on a broad swath of online service providers to keep new records on all of their customers, just in case the police ever want to investigate any of them. In particular, the bill would require any commercial providers of Internet access to keep for at least 12 months a record of which users were assigned to particular network addresses at particular times.

Such addresses, like the Internet Protocol (IP) address assigned to your cable modem by your cable company, or to your laptop by a wireless router, can be used to identify who visited particular websites or posted particular content online--threatening your right to privately browse the web and to speak and read anonymously when you're online.

Mandatory data retention would force your Internet Service Provider to create vast and expensive new databases of sensitive information about you. That information would then be available to the government, in secret and without any court oversight, based on weak and outdated electronic privacy laws.

That same data could become available to civil litigants in private lawsuits--whether it's the RIAA trying to identify downloaders, a company trying to uncover and retaliate against an anonymous critic, or a divorce lawyer looking for dirty laundry. These databases would also be a new and valuable target for black hat hackers, be they criminals trying to steal identities or foreign governments trying to unmask anonymous dissidents.

The House Judiciary Committee has already voted to approve the bill despite bipartisan privacy concerns, and the bill could be on the House floor for a final vote very soon. Now is the time: demand that your Representative protect your online privacy and free speech rights by opposing H.R. 1981.

Contact
*Required fields
* Title:
* First Name:
* Last Name:
* Your Email:
* Address 1:
Address 2:
* City:
* State / Province:
AKALARAZCACOCTDCDEFLGAHIIAIDILINKSKYLAMAMDMEMIMNMOMSMTNCNDNENHNJNMNVNYOHOKORPARISCSDTNTXUTVAVTWAWIWVWYASFMGUMHMPPRPWVI
* ZIP / Postal Code:
Phone Number:
Yes, I would like to receive periodic updates and communications from EFF.
Remember me. What's this?

Dear [Decision Maker],

* Please personalize your message
I am a constituent and I strongly urge you to oppose H.R. 1981, the Protecting Children from Internet Ponographers Act. This bill, by imposing sweeping data retention requirements on a broad swath of online service providers, would compromise the online privacy and free speech rights of millions of innocent Americans while also threatening innovation and growth in the communications industry. No one opposes the goal of protecting children against exploitation, but this bill would treat every Internet user like a criminal. It would require my own Internet Service Provider to intentionally undermine my online privacy. The mandatory data retention scheme proposed in H.R. 1981 would leave my and everyone else's personal data vulnerable to overzealous government investigators, unscrupulous civil litigants, black hat hackers and accidental data breaches, while doing little to nothing to help children. By requiring commercial providers of Internet access to retain network address logs for 12 months, H.R. 1981 threatens my constitutional rights to speak freely and read privately online. At the same time, it would impose new costs on Internet service providers and small businesses that could raise prices and chill innovation. This is not a party-line issue; House members on both sides of the aisle share my concerns about H.R. 1981. In the words of Mr. Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.), the bill runs "roughshod over the privacy rights of people who use the Internet for thousands of lawful purposes" and should be "defeated and put in the dustbin of history." I couldn't have said it better myself. Requiring Internet companies to redesign and reconfigure their systems to facilitate government surveillance of Americans' expressive activities is simply un-American. Such a scheme would be as objectionable to our Founders as the requiring of licenses for printing presses or the banning of anonymous pamphlets. I am turning to you, my elected Representative, so that you will protect my constitutional rights and push back against this anti-privacy, anti-free speech, anti-innovation proposal. Please protect my digital civil liberties by opposing H.R. 1981 and by supporting any amendment to remove or narrow the dangerous and un-American data retention mandate that it contains.

Sincerely,
[Your Name]
[Your Address]
[City, State ZIP]
Creative Commons Licensed

* Thanks
* RSS Feeds
* Privacy Policy
* Contact EFF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Government to Help Criminals Steal Your Identity
Posted by: Electronic Frontier Foundation
Date: August 02, 2011 07:29AM
Re: Government to Help Criminals Steal Your Identity
Date: August 22, 2011 10:18PM

Do not trust the people said "trust me."
I learned so that such recently.
just a joke.:cool:

In a certain a local government, the confidential information about the citizen was leaked illegally intentionally once by a public employee.

I accused it in those days, but I was ignored.

and, I suffer from the disease of the internal organs, and I don't still recover completely.

one of criminalgroup member is caught on the charge of others and was found guilty,
but the serious problems isn't public case that safly for citizens.

I remember that the hacker of the well-known Wizard people sounded an alarm bell about a social trend for the Internet in those days, more past.

In last autumn, there was the case that some movies of the internal information was leaked in youtube from the Japanese Maritime Safety Agency.

The case was reported at the ABCNews.

But, the case may not have happened when a local government reported problems to the government.

The case may not have happened when a local government reported problems found out in to the government.

http://slashdot.jp/firehose.pl?op=view&id=353613

Because that article was written in the broken Japanese, I feel sorry that article difficult to understand for you.

and, this case is encountered only in Japan.

if you read that article, and a little useful for you that you have an awareness of the issues, I am glad.

this reply with an intention of I have a problems involved submission.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.