Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Windows 10, the end of owning your Windows OS?
Posted by: peon
Date: January 25, 2015 12:02AM

Reportably, Microsoft will offer Windows 10 as a free upgrade for one year to current owners of Windows 7 and 8.0/8.1. After the 'free' year, prepare to pay 'rent' for the rest of your life if you want a Microsoft OS.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Windows 10, the end of owning your Windows OS?
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: January 25, 2015 08:18AM

No 'pay after' with Linux smiling smiley

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: walter
Date: January 26, 2015 07:17AM

A steady revenue stream of subscripton fees makes the stockholders happy. Any OS that is proprietary and not open-source will go subscription only, eventually.

Posted by: Mikk
Date: February 18, 2015 03:09AM

Windows 10, the end of owning your Windows OS?
No! Windows 10 may exist in any matter but I will still own my Windows 98SE - the best Windows ever been! grinning smiley :cool:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2015 03:10AM by Mikk.

Date: May 10, 2015 10:34PM
Posted by: JamesD
Date: May 11, 2015 08:45PM

Microsoft does not want another Win 8 mess. No matter how much you don't like the user interface in 10, there will be no reason to wait in hope of one that you will like better. And to get people to leave the very good Win 7 they are going to upgrade you to Win 10. That way they can claim how great is the percentage of users on Win 10.

Date: May 12, 2015 08:13AM

Win 7 extended support ends January 14, 2020. You've got a little less than 5 years to decide what to do about Win 10 before Microsoft stops security updates for Win 7. Provided the Win 7 EOS date is not changed, as is possible.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 13, 2015 12:20PM

peon
Win 7 extended support ends January 14, 2020. You've got a little less than 5 years to decide what to do about Win 10 before Microsoft stops security updates for Win 7. Provided the Win 7 EOS date is not changed, as is possible.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Why start to pay before support runs out?

BTW XP is still sort of supported under another name because it is used as an embed system for some machines.

The bottleneck for old OS mainly is getting drivers if You have to update hardware.

The other is that MS will stop to update development tools to support Your old OS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2015 12:27PM by guenter.

Posted by: jonaspm
Date: May 26, 2015 07:16AM

The solution to all of this is 'ReactOS' the open source Windows OS.

ReactOS currently is targeting Windows 2003 which is more recent than Windows XP.

Also, the tarjet OS is moving to Windows Vista, but they'll certianly change fast to Windows 7.

ReactOS is a better solution for Windows users than Windows 10 or Linux(If you don't know linux).

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: May 26, 2015 07:54PM

Obviously it is better to spend on ReactOS than stay on Windows.

But why always peddle these cliches : Linux is easier to use than Windows , less greedy and more secure ...

I install Linux for aged persons who have often never touched a computer , and they are doing very well in and quickly ...

The tests that I could do ReactOS , are not entirely satisfactory , and well below Linux.

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 24, 2015 08:43AM

jonaspm
The solution to all of this is 'ReactOS' the open source Windows OS.

ReactOS currently is targeting Windows 2003 which is more recent than Windows XP.

Also, the tarjet OS is moving to Windows Vista, but they'll certianly change fast to Windows 7.

ReactOS is a better solution for Windows users than Windows 10 or Linux(If you don't know linux).

Windows 2003 is older than XP You mean.

Wikipedia
Windows Server 2003 (sometimes referred to as Win2K3) is a server operating system produced by Microsoft, released on April 24, 2003.[4] An updated version, Windows Server 2003 R2, was released to manufacturing on December 6, 2005. Its successor, Windows Server 2008, was released on February 4, 2008. It is based on Windows XP, basically becoming an enhanced version of XP. According to Microsoft, Windows Server 2003 is more scalable and delivers better performance than its predecessor, Windows 2000.[5]

A change to Vista is silly. XP is more efficient and that is why a commercial variant of it is still supported by MS IMHO.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?12,127799

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2015 05:19PM by guenter.

Posted by: who
Date: July 05, 2015 04:51AM

React OS has been in alpha for years. When it is released as a final, then I'll be interested.

Posted by: desga2
Date: July 09, 2015 09:13PM

Hi guys, I have received a Windows notification to update my Windows 7 to Windows 10 the next 29/07/2015. I can update it free for a year from W10 release dated.

What I must do? keep my system on Windows 7 or update to Windows 10?
Will K-Meleon works on Windows 10?

Someone tried W10 previews or betas?

React OS is not a really alternative, it's in 0.3.x version alpha and this won't changed to beta until 0.5 version. The development is very slow and I can estimated 0.5 version beta won't be release until 2020 year at least.

Migrate to some Linux distribution is the most reasonable.

Greetings.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: siria
Date: July 09, 2015 09:38PM

peon
Reportably, Microsoft will offer Windows 10 as a free upgrade for one year to current owners of Windows 7 and 8.0/8.1. After the 'free' year, prepare to pay 'rent' for the rest of your life if you want a Microsoft OS.

win7 or win10? And afterwards your computer is dead if you don't pay regularly???
As they say, power corrupts...
And today we are obviously ruled by almighty monopolies. Am long since feeling like back in the dark ages again, where all-powerful evil rulers can do with their slaves whatever they want :>-(
Especially since learning that google can simply forbid me to use firewalls on android phones, by forbidding global manufacturers to sell phones to the West that allow firewalls. E.g. Huawei had to remove theirs again, even on already delivered phones via firmware update, otherwise no license outside Asia.
And Microsoft is no bit better.
And of course not to mention all the almighty big brother stuff what we can do absolutely nothing against.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: July 09, 2015 09:55PM

desga, el ciclo de vida de Windows 7 es hasta 2020.

Que sí, que si eres un agonías puedes actualizarte ya y usar Windows 10, pero salvo que necesites imperiosamente Windows 10, no hace falta cambiar ya.

Coño, que yo ando con Windows 2000 y el "día de mañana" (y como no me compre otro PC, lo dudo), si me actualizo, usaré Windows 7, aunque sea el mismo año 2020.

Conozco de gente que se ha pasado este año a XP. Fíjate tú.

Date: July 09, 2015 11:13PM

JohnHell
desga, el ciclo de vida de Windows 7 es hasta 2020.

Que sí, que si eres un agonías puedes actualizarte ya y usar Windows 10, pero salvo que necesites imperiosamente Windows 10, no hace falta cambiar ya.

Coño, que yo ando con Windows 2000 y el "día de mañana" (y como no me compre otro PC, lo dudo), si me actualizo, usaré Windows 7, aunque sea el mismo año 2020.

Conozco de gente que se ha pasado este año a XP. Fíjate tú.

Es porque hay gente muy "abandonada". tongue sticking out smiley

No es por agonía, no cambio ni actualizo si no lo necesito.
Conservo mis PCs con Windows98 SE y WindowsXP SP3, con Windows 2000 SP4 estuve mucho tiempo, pero me cansé de hacer malabarismos para que las cosas "más modernas" funcionaran.
Pero el Windows 7 no me termina de convencer y me gustaría probar si Windows 10 es realmente lo que se espera de él o será otro fiasco como Vista o Windows 8.

De todas formas, alguien tendrá que probar si K-Meleon funciona en Windows 10 o el futuro es migrarlo a Linux.

Saludos.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: Yogi
Date: July 10, 2015 09:35AM

@desga2

I can't give advise for what you must do but I can tell what I'm doing. smiling smiley
After more than 10 years I switched from W2k to Win7 and never looked back. So far I'm pleased with Win7 and don't intend to upgrade. Extended support for Win7 is till 2020!
Till then much things can happen or change.
One is for sure. I'll never use an OS which I don't have a full package for so I can format and install the OS from scratch locally anytime I'd like to.
Besides, having control over the OS at a certain level is also crucial.

IMHO, the only viable alternative at the moment would be an (open source) Unix based system.

¬_¬ Re: Windows 10, the end of owning your Windows OS?
Posted by: thomase13
Date: July 12, 2015 01:15AM

I must say this stuff really does scare me. I just know and love the Windows 98 user interface so well; it is truly the finest ever created IMO (and I can see others here share the sentiment), which is why I'd hate to have to switch systems to some Linux distro or something else. I am still just hoping for ReactOS development to speed up so that some day a version 1.0 might see the light of day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2015 01:15AM by thomase13.

Re: ¬_¬ Re: Windows 10, the end of owning your Windows OS?
Posted by: Carson2
Date: July 15, 2015 07:30AM

thomase13
I must say this stuff really does scare me....

It is maybe the long slide down and away from our short-lived internet. As the big corporations muscle out the middle class, we see companies enforcing caps on your useage--that is ANY useage that you wouldn't have without the internet switched on; not just "downloads" per se--while simultaneously promoting faster speeds to entice folk to use the internet more and more like old television; but paying, of course, for anything over 100 or 150 or whatever megs monthly.

The internet was always predicted to be so "free" as it was, for just a rather short time. We enjoyed it but maybe being outside gardening and raking leaves is a lot more healthy, after all.

Even so: unsupported old OSs are still useable. This K-M forum once had no security at all. We just posted our threads. After a few years, youngsters began their damaging graffiti assaults, but there was a time when. . . . smiling smiley

We may not have to worry about our beloved tech for long, anyway. Our beloved planet seems to be feeling the abuse warned about in the 1960s and earlier, and the military magnates have certainly not learned much, so I suppose we can take our pick. People are sure going to look silly standing around with pieces of money-paper in their hands on a planet too sick to provide the oxygen, say, that once used to just grow on trees.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2015 07:32AM by Carson2.

Date: July 31, 2015 07:26AM

UH OH: Windows 10 will share your Wi-Fi key with your friends' friends

The password must be stored centrally by Microsoft on their server. Even so it is encrypted, that doesn't mean that MS couldn't easily decrypt it (since it was encrypted with their own software) and share it with some three letter agencies or other venerable institutions conform CISA.

Date: July 31, 2015 04:06PM

Even if the feature comes with Windows 10, I don't consider something to blame of Windows 10.

After read what it is WiFi Sense, "it is the same", except key sharing, as I have in my feature phone, and it isn't a Windows phone.

If the user decides to let the phone check and connect to non-trusted WiFis, it is up to that user.

Then, the sharing of information and use of applications with a third involved, is just something they should deal with if they accept to use it.

People should be conscious about what they run in their phones (and now in desktops) and if the "benefits" are over the problems.

Date: August 14, 2015 07:47AM

Ok, I have installed Windows 10 as "Clean Update" to Windows 10 free auto-Activation with my Windows 7 original key, and K-Meleon works fine at now I can try it.
(Windows10 is in other partition, with a dual boot Windows7/Windows10, if someone want to do it I can explain how to do it)

At this moment I can't recomended update to Windows 10, the best is wait to an iso updated/fixed with all acumulative fixpacks from start.
Actually first iso is like a preview release. Documentation talk about Windows 8 and 8.1 not Windows 10, and there are some bugs and strings without translations.

Yesterday I did a first Update of Windows 10 (All updates are auto-downloaded, you can select it as previous Windows versions) and it applied the first big acumulative fix pack and other 3 fixes, and the size was 400 MB.
(All system files were fixed, this is a lot for a system with 2 weeks from release date)

Greetings.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: August 14, 2015 03:01PM

Overnight my laptop was upgraded to Win 10 pro and now I cannot get KM to start. I think it has to do with write privilege to my profile. I cannot understand why because I am running as administrator. I cannot edit and save a macro within my profile which is stored with my KM. The KM was in program files (x86). I guess I better find out where it is now if I can find out how with the new user interface.

Date: August 14, 2015 05:45PM

@JamesD:

I haven't this problem because I use K-Meleon75 in portable mode, with profiles in K-Meleon install folder.

Your problem can be due to Defender (Windows antivirus).
You can try to reinstall K-Meleon in other install folder and copy your old profile over the new profile.

Are you update Windows10 to last cumulative fix pack KB3081436 ?
This can help you to resolve this problems.

To show updates installed:
Right click in Start button -> Control Panel -> Uninstall a program -> in left panel "View updates installed"

Greetings.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2015 05:51PM by desga2.

Date: August 14, 2015 10:27PM

desga2
I haven't this problem because I use K-Meleon75 in portable mode, with profiles in K-Meleon install folder.

That is the same way that I have my KM's. I had them in 'Program Files (x86)' and had no problems before Win 10. I cannot write to them under Win 10.

I did this to fix. I made a folder on C and named it 'KM_PGMS'. I extracted KM 75.1 beta there and I can run KM just fine now.

For some reason my admin authority does not extend to Program Files (x86). It is dumb to need the work-a-round, but that what works.

Date: August 14, 2015 10:45PM

Check on security permissions that you are the owner, and even if you are, re-apply to folder and children.

Maybe in the upgrade something messed up. That is the reason for clean installs.

Date: August 15, 2015 11:29AM

JohnHell
Check on security permissions that you are the owner, and even if you are, re-apply to folder and children.

YES! That worked. I gave creator/owner full control and also user Jim for the folder for KM. Now my KM that is in Program Files does start just fine.

Date: August 15, 2015 12:54PM
Date: August 15, 2015 02:48PM

JamesD
JohnHell

YES! That worked. I gave creator/owner full control and also user Jim for the folder for KM. Now my KM that is in Program Files does start just fine.

Great.

I thought of it because I recently had a problem with a registry key in Windows 7, where I was the owner and even I couldn't make changes. And this was even a clean install...

10 could suffer of the same issues. Have an eye on permissions for newer OSs guys!

@Yogi, call me paranoid too (), but it is one of the reasons I shutdown windows with network disabled. Even if you know, you can't control where it is connecting, if it is, at startup, unless unplug the Ethernet cable ("harder" for WiFi cordless users), and even, on network availability...

Windows 10 is a horse out of control.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 16, 2015 09:31AM

JohnHell
Windows 10 is a horse out of control.

If it only were Win10, sigh...
And if it only were "out-of-control" accidentally instead of "fully intentionally by the megatrust-leaders"...

Last week I've seen a quote of google's "fine-print":
by using one of their services users AGREE that google has the official right to steal and abuse EVERYTHING the user ever stored on one of their servers or has send or received by them (googlemail etc.) The Google-Trust immediately gets itself full owner rights like publishing what and wherever they wish, modifying stuff, selling to whomever they wish (="Share with our partners") etc., regardless if the user had it "published" or only "privately" stored.
And of course that includes also all the services they bought only later, like youtube and facebook (or was that Microsoft? Doesn't matter, they act all the same).

It was truly horrifying, so far I only was aware they give themselves the right to secretly store everything forever and abuse private data. But not necessarily aware this includes modifying and selling files stored privately in one of their accounts, like music or books.

In a civilised and at least partly just world they'd long since be sentenced as heavy criminals and gone into jail for the rest of their lives, grrr!

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.