Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: ¬_¬ Re: Windows 10, the end of owning your Windows OS?
Posted by: siria
Date: June 12, 2016 10:09AM

peter
It will be interesting to see what Microsoft does about the Windows 10 nag, once the free upgrade period is over.

Hmm... in a first step probably "graciously" extend that period??
But having seen their evil tricks to force users to obey and install Win10, ALL users, and also having seen the evil tricks from the other american monopoly (google with android), who invent one sly trick after another to force ALL users to upload ALL their data into the 'cloud', especially all important data, to not be allowed to hide *anything* from google anymore, one can only expect the worst.

So... MS will follow lead and indirectly force users to install WinX, by making sure that otherwise they lose important features? All in the name of alleged security and user-friendliness of course!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2016 10:11AM by siria.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: June 18, 2016 12:28PM

That's why the only solution is to leave Ms (and Android) and use Linux.

A lot of builds are avalaible and the choice is large ... and each user can found what he needs ... and what can be run on an old computer ... what you choose using XP or W2000, but with aging OSes, and some security risks.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: thomase13
Date: June 19, 2016 02:13AM

siria
It was truly horrifying, so far I only was aware they give themselves the right to secretly store everything forever and abuse private data. But not necessarily aware this includes modifying and selling files stored privately in one of their accounts, like music or books.

That is scary stuff!
I didn't know it was quite that bad honestly!!
This is why I am so fond of Ghostery these days (in Pale Moon for the moment!)
Has anyone gotten that working in K-Meleon I wonder??
It seems that Pale Moon's going to drop XP users in their next version!! :'(

siria

In a civilised and at least partly just world they'd long since be sentenced as heavy criminals and gone into jail for the rest of their lives, grrr!

Not to mention being one of the richest corporations in the world and not paying a nickel of income tax! :mad:
Truly criminal!

Whoever thought the World Wide Web would come to be run by a criminal organization?!??
I think this makes Microsoft's browser wars and other dodgy shenanigans of the '90s look benign by comparison!

I was reading an article recently about how Microsoft inadvertently did a great thing for the Web by slowing down its frenetic pace of development since everyone had to write pages that worked in Internet Explorer!
Of course once they killed off Netscape, Microsoft stopped IE development, and actually laid off the IE team AFAIR!
That period from ~1999-2006 when IE 7 was released really stopped the development of the Web technologies so everyone like Mozilla and ever moreso, K-Meleon developers could catch up!

These days it really does seem difficult to keep up, and Web sites keep getting heavier and more difficult to render without the latest Google Chrome and OS version!

I think it's sad that some of the core tenets of the Web, namely accessibility regardless of user agent, and graceful degradation of content for older UAs have been tossed out because of Google's need to dominate!

Maybe I'm not really old enough to remember how bad the earlier browser wars between Netscape and IE were, but to me it really does seem worse these days, and it seems a terrible shame that perfectly capable machines with OSes like Windows XP (and NT 4 for that matter!) are being dropped in favour of telemetry-filled Windows 10 or similar. sad smiley
[No disrespect to Windows 9x users, and I'm no developer, but Windows on DOS really is a different beast!

Though how does the talented Mr. Skiljan of IrfanView fame keep up compatibility from Windows 95–Windows 10 in his wonderful program to this day in 2016?!?]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2016 02:29AM by thomase13.

Posted by: foliator
Date: June 19, 2016 03:51AM

I've been using Windows 7 with Windows Update disabled for the past five years, so I've never been pestered by automatic Windows 10 upgrades. This laptop has been giving me excellent service, but the internal keyboard is toast and can't be replaced, so I'm using an external wireless keyboard and trying to keep the machine alive as long as I can.

Every new computer available here comes with Windows 10 preinstalled; it has spread like a cancer in such a short time! :mad: My laptop came with the OS preinstalled and no backup installation CD. In fact, there's no CD drive in the machine, anyway. In order to downgrade a new Windows 10 machine, I'd have to purchase a copy of Windows 7. Even if I could find a legal copy at a reasonable price, it wouldn't surprise me if Windows 10 prevented me from downgrading successfully. Besides, I've tweaked away so many Windows annoyances over the years that it would take me forever to get back the great performance I have now.

Linux is something I know absolutely nothing about, but I'd be reluctant to change the OS and risk losing the use of the many Windows-only applications I depend on. I guess I'm just one of those people who would rather fight than switch. grinning smiley

---
Gerry

Date: June 19, 2016 09:06AM

foliator
Linux is something I know absolutely nothing about, but I'd be reluctant to change the OS and risk losing the use of the many Windows-only applications I depend on.

Which applications ?
Linux, except in professional domain, but perhaps not, has equivalent applications.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2016 09:07AM by JujuLand.

Why complicate matters ???
Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: June 19, 2016 05:08PM

I say to Foliator and anyone else feeling 'stuck':
foliator
...In order to downgrade a new Windows 10 machine, I'd have to purchase a copy of Windows 7. Even if I could find a legal copy at a reasonable price, it wouldn't surprise me if Windows 10 prevented me from downgrading successfully.

I did a quick search at amazon and there are w7 offerings as low as $15 there...
BUT:

You are not stuck - there ARE viable solutions.
If you'd rather spend a little effort than your $$$, that is.

The 1st & very important step is just to ditch all the UEFI garbage as well as the GPT krap; going back to standard MBR & partitioning fixes many, many of the imposed ills in all the newer mikr0$0ft infested PCs.

Since you are able to tweak that OS=>
foliator
Besides, I've tweaked away so many Windows annoyances over the years that it would take me forever to get back the great performance I have now.

You can easily keep it if you wish=> you can do a P2V with it, you can also clone in onto your new machine via imaging and bare metal restore.

If you are brave enough...
Tweaking Linux distros is no harder anymore than tweaking ween-doze, really - just ditch the fear and you'll see for yourself.

'Tis only the fear blocking you from moving forward my friend:
foliator
Linux is something I know absolutely nothing about, but I'd be reluctant to change the OS and risk losing the use of the many Windows-only applications I depend on. I guess I'm just one of those people who would rather fight than switch. grinning smiley
I would add a letter there and say this instead:
"I guess I'm just one of those people who would rather fRight than switch."

Suggestions:
- Have a look at Ubuntu Mate 16.04 - it may comfort your fears greatly;
- Consider trying it on your newer notebook PC - you can live boot it via USB and there is much info about how to shrink your win-doze infestation to have them side-by-side, if desired.
- Install Virtualbox into your Linux and have whatever other OSes you may desire, running very, very well with any/all apps as you desire still usable.
- Look around the internet for the term P2V; this is how an existing, running OS is made into a VM for usage under another OS, generally regardless of the hardware.

Lastly and leastly:
AFAIK, some of the ween-doze versions beyond 7 came with a hypervisor built in, allowing them to run VMs directly.
I claim no personal exposure or knowledge of this because I quit the ween-doze merry-go-round when vista (winME-2) came out.

For this olde guye it is now either Linux or Android.
(Yes, I use Ubuntu Mate 16.04 and it is a windows refugee's dream !!)
When I need anything from win-doze...no problem - XP in a VM does all that I need and it runs better that way than it ever did natively - with the utterly stable foundation of Linux beneath it.

Fearing change and/or loss is EXACTLY what the mickysleaze gang WANTS the users it imprisons to experience - they have worked tirelessly since the inception of win-doze to keep users on pins and needles at all times, with the trapped users fearing everything under the sun and living endlessly under the gloom of data losses which they have become so accustomed to.

There ARE better ways than THEIR way, I assure you.
I use them myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2016 05:16PM by smallhagrid.

Re: Why complicate matters ???
Date: June 19, 2016 06:14PM

Have a look at Ubuntu Mate 16.04 - it may comfort your fears greatly;

I agree with this choice, really good ...

As you, I have a virtualbox XP image for testing purpose, and it's enough ...
I have also installed a React'OS image with the last version, and my first tests are better than with the previous iso which was a little old ...
My goal is to remove XP image, when React'OS will become suffisant for my purpose.

A+

Posted by: Yogi
Date: June 19, 2016 08:16PM

siria
In a civilised and at least partly just world they'd long since be sentenced as heavy criminals and gone into jail for the rest of their lives, grrr!
Sorry but such "a civilised and at least partly just world" never existed in reality. It's rather a projection of us.

thomase13
Whoever thought the World Wide Web would come to be run by a criminal organization?!??
Only the World Wide Web? Isn't the World Wide Web just a facet of a broader picture which we use to call 'social order'?
Technologic progress will help to make George Orwell's predictions reality. That's the prize we are paying for it and it won't be cheap.

foliator
I guess I'm just one of those people who would rather fight than switch. grinning smiley
May I ask you whom are you fighting? Microsoft?
The only thing that could hurt Microsoft is the loss of some market share.

Date: June 19, 2016 09:05PM

This reply is a couple of responses in one=>

My guess is that Foliator is saying it is a fight with win-doze itself; a fight that most folks have lost at - for around 20 years already.

Yogi makes some truly great and wise points in reply; I add my 2.5 cents here:
The ONLY win that is possible is refusing to fight a'tall.

Panzer posted a link to a wonderful write-up in his freeware list that I strongly suggest for anyone worried about trying Linux:
http://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/5-reasons-to-install-linux-on-your-laptop-1781833159
(I do strongly disagree whenever anyone uses the misnomer of 'laptop' however, given that as a form-factor it ceased to exist a very long time ago.)

In addition to that article's points, for win-doze users it may be better to have a look here=>
https://ubuntu-mate.org/
Rather then at straight Ubuntu; either way, the LTS releases are incredibly good.

For anyone too young (I'm ~60) to have been around when PCs arrived - you can easily verify the following via easily found public records.

- DOS was around BEFORE mikr0$0ft took it over;
- Uncle bill never invented ANYTHING, except for one thing=> the EULA - which is a brilliant way of creating enforceably protected profits with little or no tangible goods needing to change hands.
- Many, many talented groups, companies, etc. were buried quite publicly while mikr0$0ft was 'collecting' code for the big mess called win-doze.
They were either bankrupted trying to regain their stolen code, or quite often buried by 'settlement' with no other choices remaining except to die quietly.
- Dominating users & systems is by plan (obviously) and has been very gradually implemented for many years.
- The abortion called 'wx' is where it all comes together - this is also why it has been shoved down the users' throats so forcibly, without choice.
- The entire (commercial) tech sector only cares about unimaginably large profits, NOT users, ever.

Lamenting any of the above is a waste of life energy; the better path to choose is simply to step off and cease being embattled by commerce that has vampires at its helm.

Some wide-ranging answers in the image linked here:
https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13445258_1018321144869937_2850457966582001655_n.jpg?oh=316e5338e9348e527fbcab582fd8ba2e&oe=57E7C942

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2016 09:11PM by smallhagrid.

Windows 10, the end... >> (offtopic)
Posted by: siria
Date: June 19, 2016 10:12PM

Very interesting stuff (just a bit complicated for less savvy ones, sigh).

Just a little side note, please keep an eye on the posting titles!
It's a real mess here lately :cool:

(If someone changes his title then ALL following posts will adopt it too!
Here http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/addon.php?0,module=recent_messages
but also in the Forum Search hits.
They are drifting off completely, fit less and less, and the thread subject gets lost. That's a new thing here. Personally I do like what someone suggested, to keep the main title (or shortened) PLUS add an individual hint for THIS post. Whatever anyone likes, but perhaps us regulars could try to remember to check, and restore the thread subject if needed?

Posted by: foliator
Date: June 19, 2016 10:13PM

@yogi and smallhagrid: Maybe I need to rephrase what I said about fighting. I have no fight with anybody; those big multinational companies don't even deserve my attention. The term I should have used was "resist". I'm simply resisting changes from the status quo with respect to my computer activities. Aside from that faulty internal keyboard, which I've finally managed to disable, everything is working very well here -- has been for the past five years, in fact -- and I intend to keep it that way.

To be honest, computers are really not my main focus; they are merely a means to an end, and so are the applications I've collected (all freeware): A text editor, some music software, a word processor, media player, PDF reader, image editors, web browsers, etc. Once I get them working the way I want, then I just use them. In the case of the internet, content is king, at least for me, so in any browser I've tried out, I've tweaked things in order to eliminate distractions and make the site content more accessible. That includes readability, as my vision is pretty poor these days (not surprising, since I'll be 70 later this year). I've had more luck with K-Meleon in this regard than with any other browser.

@smallhagrid: Yes, laptop is a misnomer, but a convenient one. I tend to use that as a generic term for any completely self-contained computer that is neither a desktop machine, nor a phone, nor one of Apple's wristwatches. My machine was marketed as a "netbook", but it's basically the same animal as what people commonly call a laptop, only smaller. Nevertheless, it's currently serving me as a desktop computer, as that's the way I've been using it. I don't carry it around with me, and I rarely run it on battery power, although the battery has come in handy during the occasional power outage.

Anyway, I don't feel like fighting anyone, even M$, so please don't take that term literally. smiling smiley

---
Gerry

Linux vs Win10
Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 19, 2016 11:27PM

I can explain why I'm not stuck with Linux while I really love this system and had a lot of happy hours playing with different distros: Mint, LXLE, Bodhi, number of small portable ones like NimbleX, Slax, Porteus, Slitaz, Austrumi and sure with lot of Puppy respins and derivatives.

Yes, the reason is all about software side: applications and environment settings.

What apps? Well:

1) double-pane file manager like Total Commander (maybe one day Double Commander would become real alternative);
2) Atlantis Word Processor - unique MS Word alternative: fast, compact, with unmatched comfort in terms of UI ad usability. Abiword or any big open office suites aren't real alternative, really;
3) Great typing helpers like Arum Switcher and Punto Switcher: they give me smart keyboard layout switcher, mistype fixer and typing logger to be sure no long text would be lost by any accident. xNeur is good alternative but misiing some minor features crucial for me;
4) sure, K-Meleon as native browser. Yes I can run it (and other tools) under Wine but sometime it isn't convenient in my favourite distros;
5) lightweight audio players like Apollo, XMplay, Foobar, Spider Player, Winyl etc. (partly replaceable by pMusic in Puppy but not so fine);

Speaking about professional use we can mention Adobe InDesign. Scribus is fantastic project but still not ready for convenient everyday use. I can create any publishing project there but it's a pain.

sk1 and Inkscape do replace CorelDraw acceptably. But XaraX for Linux isn't developed since first alpha-release.

All this keeps me out of everyday Linux but I'm happy to use it as secondary OS in dualboot with Windows (Puppy is extremely easy to get dualbooted or start working from scratch), as fallback option when Windows fails or gets corrupted/infected, as repair toolbox for Windows systems etc.

What about Win10? I still can ignore it, but when I will be forced to choose, I think it would be the first choice to pacify 10, cutting all the spy stuff off.

But if MS willmake this impossible, I would be able to switch with ease.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2016 11:27PM by rodocop.

Re: Linux vs Win10
Date: June 20, 2016 03:58PM

Sorry about messing up the thread title Siria !!

You said:
"(just a bit complicated for less savvy ones, sigh)"

That statement is sort of missing the beauty of Ubuntu.

Really, seriously - getting into it is really quite easy because of 2 things, primarily=>
- The ease of software installation in that distro;
- The amazingly huge userbase that is great for getting help, when needed.

But I've jumped ahead somewhat, as the true 1st step for anyone reluctant is just to get some boot media, somehow, and USE it for a bit - just to see that it is NOT as alien as detractors want folks to believe without seeing & thinking for themselves.

2 examples I will once again cite from my own doings in this realm:

- An older friend (he is ~85) whom I got into Linux around 5 years ago.
He has zero problems with it and just adores it as he spends hours every day with the internet as his main connection with others in his family.
- A younger friend (~34) who is a total non-tech person, and uses windows in a VM under Linux for occupation specific apps.
(Another very happy 5 or 6 year Linux user.)

Since the small amount of effort from me in installing it and doing a little tweaking for both of these non-computer savvy folks, it has all been smooth sailing for them with no looking back.

And Foliator, I reply:
This IS true resistance to useless change, as these folks despise forced changes and simply adore the total stability of what they now have, especially compared with the lack of stability which IS win-doze.

Hi Rodocop !!
You make such an excellent build of K-Meleon, and yet you say this ?!?:
"the reason is all about software side: applications and environment settings."

Well OK, I know for certain that I can't do a 10th of what you've done - but, yes, I CAN easily have win-doze apps running under Linux quite well anytime I want.

Don't care for WINE or its variants...? OK.
This is why it is so good running win-doze in a VM.

When one does that, ALL the apps you've listed run even better than they do natively; faster too because of the rock-solid OS under the VM managing things so much better.

Have you tried doing things this way Rodocop ??

Best Wishes to All.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2016 04:08PM by smallhagrid.

Re: Linux vs Win10
Date: June 21, 2016 07:59AM

Rodocop
But if MS will make this impossible, I would be able to switch with ease.

Yes, he will ... don't wait tongue sticking out smiley

Bienvenu ...smiling smiley

Re: Windows 10, the end of owning your Windows OS? >> Linux vs Win10
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: June 21, 2016 02:01PM

JujuLand
Rodocop
But if MS will make this impossible, I would be able to switch with ease.

Yes, he will ... don't wait tongue sticking out smiley

Bienvenu ...smiling smiley

Blaming Microsoft, blaming developers, blaming hardware vendors, blaming users..., what would be correct?

This scenario is more obvious.

The other day I read a market survey and Android growth all over the world is unstoppable, gaining more and more each years and iOS and Windows Mobile losing the battle.

Who do you blame here?; users to use and choose the devices with an operative system that has, by far, a higher number of apps and updated?; developers to focus on the main platform, because they reach higher audiences and market share?; operative systems developers for the ecosystem around them?; Google to be almost everywhere and people choosing it for everything?; people?

Who forces who?, to do what?

The answer, is not easy.

A few days back too, I read a blog entry about the lack of success of Linux (partially true) searching about retrocompatibility in GNU/Linux; and searching for XaraX status under GNU/Linux this was the point of everything: market. Period.

I love this video, from the beginnings of the 2000 years and even the actors had changed, the end is the real truth. Is what we chose, so, what are we complaining now?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUHBPuHS-7s

Original source:
http://www.robinsloan.com/epic/

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2016 02:35PM by JohnHell.

Date: June 21, 2016 05:04PM

Hello JohnHell.
I do not wish to bring friction between you and I, but from my perspective over decades in IT - I must present a different way to look at this...

Fault & blame are unhelpful, in this I totally agree;
What I suggest as a more correct situation is to examine choices vs. awareness.

Then it all seems to become very much more obvious.

Choices vs. awareness also easily explain all the various market shares and Android's massive and unstoppable growth.

Consider please, if you will - that not only were very, very few folks involved from the beginnings of the public arrivals of IT - but also factor in that the largest age groups of current users easily shows that most were not even BORN yet back then !!

Also please factor in how most folks' tech comprehension extends ONLY as far as this:
"My phone/tablet/'puter is broke - I needs a NEW one."

I do NOT suggest blame here; but -if- some needs to be pointed it IS a simple matter to identify:
Plain, simple ignorance - as in 'not knowing' - whether voluntary or due to life situations it is just plain and simple ignorance of choices.

Most of the largest (age) groups of current users of tech were not present and did not witness the existence of the DOS-based BBS, which members connected to most often via 300 baud modems using landlines and typed at one another...slowly.

These same multitudinous users may even think now that DOS -only- means Denial Of Service - and have no idea that regardless of how it is done, all computing devices require a DISK Operating System - though most will THINK that they have a clue in conversations using the abbreviation 'OS'.

What I discuss in these places does tend to highlight the use of force - and yes, it IS being used, I am sad to say.

Who forces who to do what, you ask ???

That answer is quite easy, in truth.
For the sake of this discussion just 2 points simplify it:

1 - The poor users who ONLY know this much=>
"My phone/tablet/'puter is broke - I needs a NEW one."

2 - And that this place is attended by a whole and FAR higher strata of users who are aware of choices and generally have some greater tech skills than those whom I point to in item #1.

Those in #2 tend to know how to avoid the forced stuff while not quite comprehending the choicelessness of those in item #1 - but yes:
There IS force being employed...more info follows, but now I shall segue over to other factors in this game which bear mention as well...

The lack of any OBVIOUS success of Linux at the desktop level is simply because of most folks not having to just sit down & use it - even those who know no better.
When schools, workplaces and in some cases entire countries switch to Linux folks accept it and adapt quite quickly to using it daily.

Combine the above with the simple fact that of the many who DO know better - those are simply too stubborn to make a little time & effort in their busy, busy lives with an open mind enough to see that IT IS REALLY NO BIG DEAL AFTER ALL.
It is merely change - yet another monster in the closet which so many folks fear.

Yes, in IT market share IS everything - and as I posted elsewhere, market share has already showed that whether folks know it or not=>
Linux is already the most dominant OS of our time, right now - no doubts about it.

Back to the use of force, blame and choices for a second now:
When those who knew no better bought into the baloney about 'XP ending' (mikr0$0ft said so and we all KNOW they would not lie, right ?!?) - and bought a desktop or notebook or netbook or whatever with 'vista' (winme II) - or 7, 8 or 8.1 - they unknowingly placed themselves in harm's way.

In their ignorance most of these poor souls have been FORCED - yes - forced, without choice - into an upgrade they could have lived just as well or maybe better, without.

Ultimately my own point has been for many years, and still is simply this:
This is MY PC - it remains within MY control - I decide if/when ANY changes are made to it - I do not allow changes made to it without my consent - and most of all I am fine with spending a little time LEARNING what is needed so that less than optimal situations are UNable to sneak up upon me, unawares.

Finally I close thusly:
I have multiple Android devices - none very new - and they are very useful;
I have multiple instances of Linux and enjoy them all;
I use windows as well - but with care and caution - and nothing newer than XP at present - though I may try some hypervisor stuff in the future...

Best Wishes to All !!

smallhagrid

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2016 05:27PM by smallhagrid.

Date: June 21, 2016 06:43PM

smallhagrid
I do not wish to bring friction between you and I

No reason for it

Summarized: life is complicated, don't blame, let the people choose and decide, teach about the options but don't evangelize, don't get angry if people can't go beyond.

We all land in computing without knowledge and if the first we see is Windows (more remarked for those born in the last years of past century), we shouldn't consider that we are forced to use it, because we get used to it along the years, and you feel prisoner of your habits (told by me earlier in this thread), but not by the software companies.

Teach people, but don't expect nothing, nor force the change, nor anything else. Changes are slow. And switching all to GNU/Linux won't be the solution either.

Just a final note about your arguments on this thread. I'd only wish that you stop using the win-doze or windoze pejorative term (not this time). There is no need for it winking smiley This is what really creates friction.

Date: June 21, 2016 07:28PM

win-doze or windoze
Do you prefer Windaube ? smiling smiley

Seriously, I have 63 years, and my first contact with Computers was CP/M, then Ms-DOS (ex QDOS), Windows 2.03, Windows 3.00, Workgroup, XP, W2000, NT4, XP, W7, and Linux.

I think I have enough knowledge and experience to have a my opinion of Windows.

It's perhaps not the reason for the other to leave Windows, but you, windows users, give the reasons to do it: The politic of Microsoft, the virus, ...

So we can, I think, use these names ... even if you don't appreciate it.

I continue to think of Microcrotte tongue sticking out smiley

A+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2016 07:28PM by JujuLand.

Date: June 21, 2016 08:03PM

You win tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Slayer
Date: June 21, 2016 09:54PM

You are not going to believe this but, a linux live boot cd distro destroyed my CD Rom reader once. Something that sounds impossible to me, but it started to spin so fast that I had to disconnect the PC from the 220V mains to save it.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 21, 2016 11:28PM

Hi smallhagrid!

Yes, I'm very dependent on some software and OS possibilities as I'm hypersensitive to the my working environment and possibility to tweak it to the finest detail.

Also it's a matter of time spent to get the result you need.

So Linux cannot give me all I need for now, despite of all the freedom and choice it gives to people in general.
So I'm stuck with Windows and I can get more from MS OS than 99% of users. I was forced to.

So I use Windows for my everyday work and habits - and different Linux distros to get some pleasure, excitement, inspiration and fresh air in my life.

Well you cannot stay calm when you look at this

or this

or that

P.S. The same is about KM - I spent too much time to create my build as I'm not a coding guy. It's very difficult for me to understand and use macrocode or get into deep textual configs.
K-Meleon is the only one software I've got into so deep. And I had no choice: that was a time when nobody was going to support KM in russian. And that was a time where most of us did count KM as EOL app.
So I've made my deep dive in KM entrails just out of desperation...

Today I may think sometime that this saved KM future. Well, you know - Dorian really did this. I just try to reassure myself that all I've done was not in vain... :cool:

P.P.S. And no, I haven't PC powerful enough to run VM in acceptable way.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2016 12:04AM by rodocop.

Date: June 22, 2016 05:14PM

Hello Rodocop.
Thank you for replying and sharing your wonderful pictures and work !!
I admire your work very much.

My preferred desktop environment is very plain and distraction-free because of some visual problems & peculiarities that I have, so I just use plain, bland colours which are easier on my old eyes.

That you have worked so much to make K-Meleon Pro is just amazing - and it gets used here every single day - and I thank you once again for your good works.

Re-visiting the various mentions of 'win-doze' and other such deliberately pejorative expressions, I wish to explain a little:

My own enforced value regarding others starts here=>
First, do no harm.

To clarify further now, I will explain about those whom I hold in the lowest possible regard with an example in contrasts:

1 - If a man needs a software to do a thing and locates & gets a copy of a payware for free on the internet and uses it - he has done no harm to anyone - and please don't start in on me about lost profits and so on from this example.

VS.

2 - If a company obtains, by any means, that same software - reverse engineers it - reuses it in what they sell - and later manages to drive the original company right out of business - causing harm to all who worked there, while amassing almost unimaginable wealth...this is the TRUE meaning of 'piracy'.

Those whose greatest achievement is unending devotion to greed without regard to how they harm others, other species, or the planet - those are whom I hold in the lowest possible regard.

One man of our times has excelled at such open, unending greed beyond most others and has been applauded as being a genius, innovator and so on.

I do not applaud that man, his company or anything that has come of their endless greed.

I avoid using my preferred pejorative for that gang publicly, instead toning it down a bit to 'win-doze' and 'mikr0$0ft' - when in my thoughts I refer to that gang as 'mickiesleaze' and usually refer to their works after w2k as these:
eXPee, veeester, sebben, ache & ache.1 .

I actually think that they named the latest abortion correctly:
X.

Those who are smart will do well to become EX ween-doze users ASAP !!

A side story which may sound unrelated, but in my view it IS related:

I was friends with a poor family for many years.
The husband was a dedicated substance abuser in every possible manner;
The wife was religious and could not bear to divorce him, so worked extra hard to support their family while her man was cavorting and doing the direct opposite.

After she gave birth to their 2nd child they had no car seat, and she stashed away whatever she could so as to get one as soon as she could.
Her loving husband stole the carseat money for his 'habits'.
And so on...no use in making more of this horrid behaviour - but there is a turning point worthy of mention in that story:

After many months and years of jail time and so forth, the husband finally took a moment of introspective while momentarily sober and commited the ONLY act which EVER benefitted his small family:
He very quietly & peacefully took his own life.

His sons & wife finally got relief from the endless harm he had always afflicted them with as well as survivor's benefits to help support them.

The way I see the above story and the moral of it:
Sometimes the ONLY good thing that someone or some group can do is to simply cease to exist - thereby freeing others of their attrocities.

And finally - yes - the mickiesleaze gang DOES knowingly take advantage of people and does knowingly cause harm out of sheer greed.
That greed has created an astounding power madness which has a mandate to remove not only all control from the PC user, but also even the ability to have local software on their own PC, as well as forcing storage of any/all work on subscribed server space.
This is the calculated and deliberate removal of choices.

My own integrity means that I will not be a faker and exhibit admiration for those whom I hold in low regard - so instead I am honest in my open disdain.

I am sorry that some find my use of these pejorative words distasteful.
I remain true to my values as a living man and as the umpires of old used to say:
'I calls 'em like I sees 'em !!'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2016 05:23PM by smallhagrid.

Date: July 01, 2016 02:51PM

Pertinent to this topic:
http://fossforce.com/2016/06/unlikely-return-microsoft-love/

Shared by Panzer in his wonderful freeware listing - Thanks Panzer !!

Posted by: peter
Date: August 02, 2016 01:30AM

I ran Windows Update ( check for new updates ) today. No Windows 10 upgrade nag appeared on my computer.

Re: Windows 10, the end of owning your Windows OS?
Posted by: Kunkzi
Date: August 18, 2016 10:40AM

I can't login Windows 10 after upgrading from win 7. Anyone had some an issue?

P.S. The problem solved with this article. There are many people having the same problem after upgrade. this is really disappointed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2016 03:56AM by Kunkzi.

Posted by: peter
Date: August 25, 2016 10:03PM

I spoke too soon, the Windows 10 upgrade nag is back!

Posted by: jack
Date: August 26, 2016 11:02PM

If I read this thread in Mozillazine correctly,

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3019373&sid=e873a30fec7a04d199c012b13e2e85aa

Microsoft has decided to include Windows 10 updates with security updates in a 'rollup' update. Am I reading this thread correctly?

Date: August 26, 2016 11:38PM

jack
If I read this thread in Mozillazine correctly,

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3019373&sid=e873a30fec7a04d199c012b13e2e85aa

Microsoft has decided to include Windows 10 updates with security updates in a 'rollup' update. Am I reading this thread correctly?

No, you are not.

What is told is that the new updates scheme for Windows 7 and 8/8.1 will be monthly cumulative updates, like it was designed for Windows 10, FOR SECURITY ONLY UPDATES.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/08/15/further-simplifying-servicing-model-for-windows-7-and-windows-8-1/

True, in the other hand, that Microsoft has tried to include Windows 10 as security update, so, maybe, just maybe, they'll try again. But..., that was in the times of "free try", but who knows.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: August 27, 2016 12:42AM

By bundling security updates with non-security patches and installing them via a rollup, users will be forced to install whatever Micro$oft wants you to have which is undoubtedly going to include telemetry patches and other dubious snooping apps.

Not only that but like JohnHell points out, from October 2016 Microsoft will push those cumulative updates on Win7 and Win8.1 too.
It means that you won't be able anymore to select only patches you consider advisable.

The Security-only update will be available to download and deploy from WSUS, SCCM, and the Microsoft Update Catalog. Windows Update will publish only the Monthly Rollup – the Security-only update will not be published to Windows Update.
It's sink or swim!

But wait, there's no way to get rid of Microsoft's harassments except one dumps their OS.

Fuck you Microsoft!
Respectfully yours, Yogi

Posted by: Mikk
Date: August 27, 2016 04:50AM

I use to say "W98 forever"grinning smiley. Allthough there were some tools made spying possible for Microsoft allready in W95 - eg. Drwatson, or Taskmon - both can be a double-edged thing. The first one should help to find solutions for user problems with their system by M$ but they must deliver also some private contents of his PC to M$. And the other one monitors and logs user operations on their PC. The main purpose is to optimize the defragmentation, but can be also misused. Anyway I think Microsoft didn't force the misusage of it for its own obscure interests that time.

And if once in future after all the W98 eternity will close, I hope it shall be still Linux here.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2016 02:56AM by Mikk.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.