Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
forum behaving oddly for some days ??
Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: January 04, 2016 11:25PM

K-meleon is definitely very light, fast and I am making V75.1 my main browser...BUT:

This forum was kind of fubar lately - literally for a few days.

I tried using it multiple times since sometime last week and with every version of every browser I have (even ie - bleah !!), and pretty much no matter what I tried here got an error message like this:

"Error 400
We're sorry, but we could not fulfill your request for /forum/posting.php?1,reply,136830 on this server.
An invalid request was received from your browser. This may be caused by a malfunctioning proxy server or browser privacy software."

Every browser I use is working perfectly with anywhere I browse to, otherwise - this is the only site throwing errors.

It seems to my thinking as if it must somehow relate with the forum being hosted by sourceforge - because I use other forums without any problems.

Then suddenly today it seems to be all fixed...

Did anyone else have similar problems here lately ??

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2016 11:26PM by smallhagrid.

Options: ReplyQuote
forum behaving oddly...still...for me ??
Date: January 05, 2016 12:27AM

The OP is stated in the past tense because I was able to get in and post here, finally - today.

Just for yuks, I have just re-tried using this forum with V75.1 and FF - and both gave that same error no matter what I attempted.

Oddly - I am able to enter & post using the strangest thing of all:
My ancient favourite browser - Pocket K-Meleon 1.02 !!

So now I must ask - why is it that it works despite being ancient and all the newer browsers get barfed somehow ??

Thanks.

Re: forum behaving oddly...still...for me ??
Posted by: siria
Date: January 05, 2016 12:49AM

Only lately...? :cool: *whistle*
Well, the SF server is down an awful lot and often awfully slowly too, but that doesn't cause messages like yours.
Perhaps it's a similar prob that I had every time when using an old profile here for the first time again, ever since the new forum addy? Somehow old profiles still have the old sourceforge-addy stored, that seems to conflict badly with the new kmeleonbrowser.org addy. To a point where it seemed nearly impossible to get in! Of course tried all sorts of things and couldn't believe it, and in the end not quite sure what helped, but think this worked:
- clear old SF/KM cookies
- clear cache
- restart...
Ever since then no prob anymore (except the usual...)
Then again, my error messages told some nonsense about a support "ticket" etc., that's not quite your message either... Oh well, no idea!

Date: January 05, 2016 01:13AM

Thanks Siria !!
My message had that ticket baloney too, but I didn't bother copying it in.

I routinely clear all that stuff as I use my browsers rather intensely - and nothing did any good for this forum.

My biggest curiosity is why oh why don't the principals in charge here just get or make a forum elsewhere ?!?

phpBB is so simple to set up - and hosting is a snap - and would work so much better than a forum that is so difficult just to get into & use.

Best Wishes.

Date: January 13, 2016 02:59AM

BTW...this problem persists.
Still cannot log in or post from any other browser I use except for Pocket K-Meleon v1.02, which I am using right now after trying 3 other, newer browsers to do so.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 13, 2016 09:13PM

smallhagrid
BTW...this problem persists.
Still cannot log in or post from any other browser I use except for Pocket K-Meleon v1.02, which I am using right now after trying 3 other, newer browsers to do so.

Do you logout of the forum in Pocket K-Meleon v1.02 prior to trying another browser? You cannot login if you are already logged in.

Which other KM version have you tried to login using?

Date: January 13, 2016 09:27PM

Is it at least possible to READ the forum? Because when I got that infamous ticket-error it wasn't about logging in at all, but could not even read here!! (still don't get that nonsense)

Or would new profiles work? No, that doesn't mean to lose the current one, just try this for testing:
Edit > Manage Profiles
"Ask at startup"
Restart browser
When the profile question pops up, click on "New"

At later starts you can always choose your original profile again, and afterwards disable the startup-question again.

Date: January 13, 2016 11:11PM

As a preface to my replies below...
I am hugely grateful for the existence of this forum with its amazingly helpful folks - and if what it takes in order for me to use it is to open this ancient browser each time, then so be it - I am merely baffled at this oddity.

(Now to reply to the replies this thread has gotten...thanks.)

Hi JamesD, and thanks for replying.

I have tried that, yes:
JamesD
Do you logout of the forum in Pocket K-Meleon v1.02 prior to trying another browser? You cannot login if you are already logged in.

Which other KM version have you tried to login using?

Right this minute it is Pocket KM 1.02; I have the latest version of KM Twin offered by Rodocop, and KM Pro 75.1 offered by Rodocop as well as numerous FF & Palemoon versions. (I use portables exclusively in my windows installation.)

I have also tried accessing this forum with Opera, QTWeb, Qupzilla and +KMeleon 1.54 - but this is the only browser/version that this forum seems to tolerate.

Hi Siria, and thanks.

Nope - direct topic links also fail as you've described:
siria
Is it at least possible to READ the forum? Because when I got that infamous ticket-error it wasn't about logging in at all, but could not even read here!! (still don't get that nonsense)

Or would new profiles work? No, that doesn't mean to lose the current one, just try this for testing:
Edit > Manage Profiles
"Ask at startup"
Restart browser
When the profile question pops up, click on "New"

At later starts you can always choose your original profile again, and afterwards disable the startup-question again.

Perhaps I am silly to think this - but if it refuses ALL other browsers & versions it seems to me that short of some sort of DNS problem, it is this forums s/w.

I claim no technical basis for my thought as I am ignorant of such matters - so this is just based upon my own observations & experiences.

My impression is based upon around a decade or so of being a happy forum user as well as having set up and hosted a couple of different forums myself over the years - none of which ever had such dramatic resistances to simple access via all but a single, elderly browser version.

Once again I must wonder why the site admins here do not move over to a more user & browser friendly platform like maybe phpBB ?!?
(And by all means keep the priceless info here for reference while sending folks to a more easily used forum.)

Thanks.

Date: January 14, 2016 12:45AM

Love phpBB forums too! smiling smiley
If you're an expert for that stuff and could help with knowledge, perhaps Dorian might consider...
Although my main concern isn't the poor software, could live with that if need be, but the horror thought that this forum can vanish any time completely! And am afraid, if that happens all that knowledge would probably be lost forever sad smiley

And HA - finally found a way to reproduce that pesty error again - by using legendary OffByOne toy-browser!! LOL!
Very well possible that have visited this forum with it hundred years ago (never used it for real, just a fun experiment). But actually it's portable, and a fresh unzipped version in a new folder still produces that error too... hmm... but at least that means it should be reproducable for everyone :cool:

FORUM
Error 403
We're sorry, but we could not fulfill your request for /forum/read.php?12,137059,137202 on this server.
You do not have permission to access this server.
Your technical support key is: 59cc-82d1-17f4-e8c8
You can use this key to fix this problem yourself.
If you are unable to fix the problem yourself, please contact example at example.com and be sure to provide the technical support key shown above.

"fix this problem yourself" =
http://www.ioerror.us/bb2-support-key?key=59cc-82d1-17f4-e8c8

"example at example page"
mailto:example+nospam@nospam.example.com

This ONLY happens when trying to visit this FORUM in any way, NOT the rest of the homepage.
Even reading is blocked completely.

Also tried without a hash tag in forum url. No luck.

Date: January 14, 2016 02:54AM

I am using the browser on my Kindle to post this. I had no trouble getting logged in. I usually use the KM that is in beta, but just to test I have changed for this post.

Date: January 14, 2016 03:08AM

JamesD
I am using the browser on my Kindle to post this. I had no trouble getting logged in. I usually use the KM that is in beta, but just to test I have changed for this post.

smallhagrid

Now I am back on KM 76 beta 3. I don't think the forum host/software is the problem. What about cookies? I allow cookies. I don't think that I have tested without allowing cookies.

I don't know much more about it. The only times that I cannot log in seem to be when I am already logged in from another KM.

I will be happy to run any test anyone can propose.

Date: January 14, 2016 07:22AM

Aha - there are other people and sites with the same prob and it seems to be caused by some plugin installed on the affected website...
But needs further searching (no time now) to figure out the exact details and especially: why do only some users get it and others not??

http://www.google.de/search?q=%22You+do+not+have+permission+to+access+this+server%22++%22You+can+use+this+key+to+fix+this+problem+yourself%22&btnG=Search&gbv=1

Posted by: Yogi
Date: January 14, 2016 07:46AM

siria
And HA - finally found a way to reproduce that pesty error again - by using legendary OffByOne toy-browser!! LOL!
....... at least that means it should be reproducable for everyone :cool:

Sorry, but still can't reproduce:

I'm posting this with the OffByOne browser.

Re: forum behaving oddly for some days ??
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 18, 2016 01:55PM

smallhagrid

Did anyone else have similar problems here lately ??

Not lately. I must have been absent when it occured currently.

But Yes. This happens periodically.

Some times it helps to flush the browser cache. This also happens and helps on Yahoo. Its probably not from yahoo or sforge but other weird palces I visit.

But some times this place needs maintanence and is doing strange things.
It it misbehaves with two browser I go away and lock the next day.

It usually fixed after some days.

B

not an expert...but...
Date: January 18, 2016 05:46PM

phpBB....just...works - all the time !!:
siria
Love phpBB forums too! smiling smiley
If you're an expert for that stuff and could help with knowledge, perhaps Dorian might consider...
Although my main concern isn't the poor software, could live with that if need be, but the horror thought that this forum can vanish any time completely! And am afraid, if that happens all that knowledge would probably be lost forever sad smiley
Even on cheap, shared hosting.

IMO, trusting SF with the permanence/safety/security of this priceless treasure is trust badly misplaced.

Of course I am merely a user here like so many others, and this is merely my opinion based upon how much valuable assistance I have gotten using this amazing resource.

A contrasting example in another wonderful site & resource:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/

That site uses phpBB - it is quite snappy - almost never has any problems (from the user's POV) - and is quite browser-agnostic.

This user would LOVE for this forum to be so easy to access and use !!!

OK...almost a year later now...
Date: November 08, 2016 04:48AM

Every so often I try to access this forum in other ways just to see if it has become easier...and it hasn't.

Using K-Meleon 75.1 I can get to a single posting directly as long as I have the exact, correct URL for it, but cannot log in or use other functions.

Anything else I've tried brings the dreaded error 400 or ticket error;
Until tonight.

Just for yuks, I pointed a web proxy at the log in page...
And NO error 400 !!!
Logged me right in, and I am posting from that right now.

So, it seems that error is NOT a browser problem, but instead maybe an ISP, IP or DNS problem of some sort.

Wacky - but now I know one more trick to try so as not to open my older browser just to look at this forum.
Phew.

Re: OK...almost a year later now...
Date: November 08, 2016 11:41AM

Weird!! The mysteries of the phorum software...

"For yuks"? LOL!! Thanks for that new vocabulary, kinda funny! Never read that before, but sounds like it must have the same roots as the german "Jux". Although the grammar seems different (no plural etc. in de, think "fun" of the hilarious sort) How do you pronounce it, with u like in "you" or like in "fun"?

Okay back to the forum. My impression in the past was there must something be stored secretly on the forum server side, like the place that also stores which threads are already read and which ones not. How it works, not the slightest idea. But now this whatever-thing may finally have been reset by the proxy test? Wonder what happens now when using a normal connection again - just for yuks? grinning smiley

Date: November 08, 2016 06:41PM

Thanks for replying Siria.
I don't know the origins of that phrase except that it is something I heard from someone else rather than anything I thought up.

I've only heard it spoken the way one says 'yuck' (as in bleah !!).

If I'm to guess at its possible origins I might think it relates with the wonderful humour of Curly Howard of The Three Stooges, whose famous sort of laugh was:
'Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk !!' (Usually just before Moe would whack him, etc...)

As to the strangenesses here, I still fervently wish that there could be a nice transition to a different forum s/w with this 'old' forum kept for reference somehow.

Best Wishes.

Date: November 08, 2016 09:59PM

Ah, thanks!
About the phorum, since it is quite so relentless, ever considered just getting a NEW account? smallhagrid2 perhaps...

Date: November 08, 2016 10:39PM

Just for yuks grinning smiley and curiosity I dug now up one of my ancient KM-versions again, and after copying a profile folder, started it and looked what happened. And HA - just like 1-2 years ago when reusing one of those for the first time again, this error shows up AGAIN when just trying to READ the forum, not even dreaming of logging in:

Error 403
We're sorry, but we could not fulfill your request for /forum/ on this server.
You do not have permission to access this server.
Your technical support key is: 2555-8611-17f4-e8c8
You can use this key to fix this problem yourself.
If you are unable to fix the problem yourself, please contact example at example.com and be sure to provide the technical support key shown above.

The cool thing is, I can run that oldie parallel, with the working version still open grinning smiley Now will try to examine this a bit closer again...

Re: OK...almost a year / Forum NO ACCESS bug is just UA?!
Date: November 08, 2016 11:02PM

YUCK... :O
Didn't think this "fix yourself" link had done anything in the past, but when now clicking it, it goes here
http://ioerror.us/bb2-support-key?key=2555-8611-17f4-e8c8
and this page reports (!!!)

Your web browser's User-Agent string contained data which is associated with spam or other malicious activity.

To resolve this problem, first clean your computer of viruses and other malware. Then reset your browser's User-Agent string to its default value, or use a different web browser.

That was the KM153 default UA.
Can't believe it.... switching UA to IE7 - actually makes the forum show up again!?

UA bad:
1) Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8.1.23) Gecko/20090825 K-Meleon/1.5.3
2) Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8.1.24pre) Gecko/20091010 K-Meleon/1.5.4

UA good:
1) Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)
2) Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.20pre) Gecko K-Meleon/1.6.0
3) Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de-DE; rv:24.0) Gecko/20140105 K-Meleon/74.0
4) Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; de-DE; rv:24.0) Gecko/20140105 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/74.0
5) Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/36.0
6) Mozilla

Weirder and weirder: this bug even still "works" when faking a KM154 UA in my trusty KM1.6 here. AND a bit later FROZE it completely, had to kill and restart! :O :O

Oh... another bad one:
3) Win98 :cool:

So sourceforge is not explicitely blocking old KM strings, just blocking Win98 tongue sticking out smiley

But now doubt strongly this is the same bug as smallhagrid has, hehe.
But still, perhaps the same fix?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2016 11:38PM by siria.

Re: OK...almost a year / Phorum NO ACCESS bug
Date: November 08, 2016 11:57PM

Going back to the roots. Should have done earlier:

smallhagrid
"Error 400
We're sorry, but we could not fulfill your request for /forum/posting.php?1,reply,136830 on this server.
An invalid request was received from your browser. This may be caused by a malfunctioning proxy server or browser privacy software."

Okay, error 400, not 403.
Next suspect: blocked referers perhaps? (F2>Privacy>Paranoia)
Then again - no can't be, have mine blocked all the time too.
But now really believe it's just some hidden setting too, or some system info bit.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: November 09, 2016 01:32AM

It's ngix, the server software.

Just an example why happens.

https://www.scalescale.com/tips/nginx/block-user-agents-nginx/

Is it dumb?, of course.

Probably smallhagrid has some user agent related to some attack. Maybe some custom string.

Or maybe, as pointed, a proxy, or ISP with a transparent proxy, etc, etc, etc.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2016 01:36AM by JohnHell.

Date: November 09, 2016 06:04PM

Thanks for the replies Folks.
It gets even goofier today...
Tried the same web proxy trick again today - used my working U/PW creds, and it told me they were no good...very odd indeed.

Closed KM 75.1 Pro, opened Pocket KM 1.02...zippity-doo-dah - got right in.

Very odd & seemingly unpredictable as well now.

The good news is that for whatever reason, without needing to log in & while using 75.1, as long as I have the exact URL of the post I'd like to see - it works in that.
This at least enables me to have a look at Panzer's Freeware Lists, which I enjoy each & every time he makes an update !!

Date: November 09, 2016 10:21PM

Please test this?
In Pocket-KM, open Help > About KM
Copy the useragent string that it shows
In KM7X, open about:config
type useragent
double- or right-click on general.useragent.override
and paste the Pocket-string there.
-> ?

Ah yes, and if possible post us your KM7X string (from Help>About KM), for others to test if it's blocked for them too or not?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2016 11:37AM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.