Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
New Browser Project
Posted by: callahan
Date: January 09, 2016 03:36PM

I was over at the MSFN forum today and noticed this post about a new browser for Windows 95 and and NT4. I decided to try it on my XP setup and it works very good.

It might be nice to have as a backup browser and it probably works OK on Windows 98. It is listed under ... Windows 9x Member Projects. In the comments ... people seem to like it in the early stage.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174987-retrozilla-an-updated-version-of-mozilla-for-windows-95-and-nt4/

RetroZilla: An updated version of Mozilla for Windows 95 and NT4
- - - - -
Started by rn10950 , Jan 07 2016

I have been working on an updated version of SeaMonkey 1.1.19 (Firefox 2) for Windows 95 and NT4. I plan to backport CSS features over from newer versions of the browser, as well as modify the browser to work better with the modern web and improve user experience on older OSes. (I plan to include an optional hosts file that blocks Facebook and Google Analytics URLs, which will speed up the web greatly.)

Right now, it is just a rebrand, but I am working on newer features and I do accept contributors.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Browser Project
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 10, 2016 07:54AM

callahan
I was over at the MSFN forum today and noticed this post about a new browser for Windows 95 and and NT4. I decided to try it on my XP setup and it works very good.

It might be nice to have as a backup browser and it probably works OK on Windows 98. It is listed under ... Windows 9x Member Projects. In the comments ... people seem to like it in the early stage.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174987-retrozilla-an-updated-version-of-mozilla-for-windows-95-and-nt4/

RetroZilla: An updated version of Mozilla for Windows 95 and NT4
- - - - -
Started by rn10950 , Jan 07 2016

I have been working on an updated version of SeaMonkey 1.1.19 (Firefox 2) for Windows 95 and NT4. I plan to backport CSS features over from newer versions of the browser, as well as modify the browser to work better with the modern web and improve user experience on older OSes. (I plan to include an optional hosts file that blocks Facebook and Google Analytics URLs, which will speed up the web greatly.)

Right now, it is just a rebrand, but I am working on newer features and I do accept contributors.

Nice find.

The beast still works as a basis to run K-Meleon1.5.4's exe and probably older.
Same procedure as a legacy user update. Same shortcomings as 1.5,4.

Its problem is that the JS engine is so old and slow that You encounter the busy script problem on its home page already. I did not test any longer after finding that since it probably means that it shares the main problem of 1.5.4's GRE.

GRE 1.8.1.24 JS engine is too old code to run modern JS heavy pages and modern JS code.

p.s. The beast is compiled with VC 6. You can probably enhance performance a little by compiling the source with VC71 or VC8. Procedure for free VC 8 version for the later like Kairo described in how to set up a free VC8 tinder box. Or our wiki.

But that does not fix the basic JS issue.

The VC switch would probably help to facilidate to port the JS and other code. But I do not know whether these compilers still support Win95/NT4 or whether they will require kernel extenders - the later can possibly compiled into the Retrobeast if that is needed.

Currently mostly a rebrand. Our latest user updates used AFAIR GRE 1.8.1.25pre. But the Mozilla repository were You can draw that source was broken and probably never fixed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2016 08:06AM by guenter.

Posted by: callahan
Date: January 10, 2016 06:42PM

Yes, I didn't know exactly where to post about it. I thought there could be some people still using Windows 95 and might be interested ... and maybe want to follow the project.

I spoke too soon as far as using it with Windows XP ... I encountered a couple of web pages that did not open properly ... most were OK though. I didn't use it long enough to test everything. Just wanted to experiment.

I just thought some here might be interested in the project.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2016 06:43PM by callahan.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: January 10, 2016 09:58PM

Don't apologize, indeed it is interesting

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 10, 2016 10:01PM

callahan
Yes, I didn't know exactly where to post about it. I thought there could be some people still using Windows 95 and might be interested ... and maybe want to follow the project.

I spoke too soon as far as using it with Windows XP ... I encountered a couple of web pages that did not open properly ... most were OK though. I didn't use it long enough to test everything. Just wanted to experiment.

I just thought some here might be interested in the project.

I found Your post after another mod relocated it to here.
They (we) can do the sorting if needed. grinning smiley

Yes all testers will encounter problems. Some from telling people that their browser is outdated and cannot use the page when it can and is just intentionally barred. Others from real imcomplete support for modern html/ccs/js. And the slow JavaSript engine is IMHO a problen for many pages e.g. webmail nowadays.

Since I did not know how to fake UserAgentString with SeaMoneky I created a 1.5.4 that uses the GRE. I decided that the slow and incomplete JS support is a show stopper for me.

Yes interesting. I do not know anyone here who still uses Win95/NT4 but it will work for people who use Win98 (e.g. siria) and Win2000 (e.g. my reserve Laptop) too - so...

And browser afficionados coming here might like the info too.

p.s. I see more and faster chance if they'd patch a current GRE VC12 with code from kernelEx (Win98) or so. aimfiend posted a K-Meleon74a patched in such a way for Win2000.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2016 11:09PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.