Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: K-Meleon alternatives
Posted by: Yogi
Date: April 08, 2018 05:57PM

Speaking of K-Meleon alternatives it would be interesting to know, according to those who have expressed their opinions so far, what features of a browser would qualify it as an alternative for K-Meleon.
Such a possible feature could be the fact that it performs well on an old system and on a device with low resources. (No, it's not the reason I use K-Meleon but it might be a posssible argument for others.)
For sure, different people might opt for the same browser for different reasons. However reading the large list of so called alternatives for K-Meleon I started wondering if there is any resemblance between all those alternatives and K-Meleon, except of course the fact that you can surf the WWW with any of them.
So your input would be very interesting and kind of an eye opener for me and might reveal a lot about priorities and preferences of actual K-Meleon users in general. winking smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: April 08, 2018 10:40PM

Hello Yogi and All.
My adoration for K-Meleon mostly revolves around the fact that it is what I call a REAL browser - meaning: It does its work while mostly staying out of the way.

As such, any possible alternative to it will be most like a bland, nondescript sort of (textual) picture frame that surrounds what the user wishes to view, hence a true 'browser', rather than being any sort of a distraction as all the chrome-ized things have become.

Feature-wise, for me, any browser that will qualify as an alternative for K-Meleon must be most of the following:
- Portable, or as close to totally portable as possible;
- Light, such that it runs well on old h/w;
- Visually unobtrusive - as in having the classic menu structure & minimal visual elements taking away from whatever one desires to browse;
- The abilities to tolerate most (or all...) of the recent 'security', 'protocol' & video nonsense that gets changed by the minute as it gets proven to be less effective than the malicious nut jobs making malwares and such.

Point of reference:
Though totally ancient & useless today, the way Netscape V3 Gold was made (IMO) is the true 'gold standard' for what a browser needs to be - as diametrically opposed to all the chrome-ized baloney that is so cartoony, distracting & lobotomized so as to please those for whom reading is just too difficult.

Not meaning the above as being too harsh - if all folks want to do is to look at de pichurs - that is 100% fine FOR THOSE FOLKS - this user is not one of those folks however & is happiest having a plain, unobtrusive browser that stays out of the way as much as possoble...just like our beloved K-Meleon !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2018 10:42PM by smallhagrid.

Posted by: KM2005
Date: May 01, 2018 03:19PM

Yogi
Speaking of K-Meleon alternatives it would be interesting to know, according to those who have expressed their opinions so far, what features of a browser would qualify it as an alternative for K-Meleon...

Having not provided input originally; but: For me it's also about website compatability to common or highly-visited sites. I've been in the don't-care-to-upgrade-browser user class due to problems that are introduced by upgrading, fix one problem another is instantaneously introduced. I've been a KM user since perhaps 2005 (currently v75), with a secondary browser of FF when KM isn't compatable with a site (recently FF v52 which introduced sluggishness) and PM (currently v20 for perhaps 4 years, which I nearly never use).

I was vaguely wondering about introducing a KM forum posting of a list of websites in the top ~100,000 most-visited websites that are KM incompatabile without changing KM defaults. Sporadically, but often enough common websites are incompatible with KM for one reason or another. It's sort of a minor-major chore constantly trying to figure out browser-website compatability.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2018 06:45PM by KM2005.

Posted by: Helminthoid
Date: June 22, 2019 07:51AM

Why do people find an alternative browser for K-Meleon?
I came here to learn about K-Meleon thanks to Techgara's article about the best alternative browsers for Google Chrome.
Has K-Meleon stopped working?

Posted by: roytam1
Date: June 22, 2019 11:37AM

Helminthoid
Why do people find an alternative browser for K-Meleon?
I came here to learn about K-Meleon thanks to Techgara's article about the best alternative browsers for Google Chrome.
Has K-Meleon stopped working?
because today's web is too chrome-oriented

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: June 25, 2019 04:53PM

Please, panzer, post your other browsers in this thread, thank you.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?12,149556

Anyway, this topic was intended to know light alternatives to K-meleon. Your posting are out of topic and even against K-meleon itself.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2019 08:01PM by JohnHell.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.