Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Avira Free antivirus program updates
Posted by: spanky
Date: July 23, 2010 09:13PM

Anyone else unable to update Avira Free antivirus program besides me? Tried updating on both dialup and cable broadband but no go on either.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Avira Free antivirus program updates
Posted by: desga2
Date: July 24, 2010 11:53AM

What Avira version are you using? 8, 9 or 10?
It's possible that old version 8 and 9 haven't more updates.
I'm using version 10 and now I'm updating fine, very slow (28 KB/s) but fine.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: July 25, 2010 03:04PM

Avira version 10. Tried 3 times for 3 hours using dialup but always get message about an 'error when downloading'. Now looking at other free antivirus programs for use, AVG, Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials. No complaints with Avira except for the downloading on dialup.

Date: July 25, 2010 04:32PM

I haven't given up on Avira but I think I need a second av program to use when Avira won't update. Avira will remain my primary antivirus program.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: August 02, 2010 02:28PM

spanky
I haven't given up on Avira but I think I need a second av program to use when Avira won't update. Avira will remain my primary antivirus program.

Spanky,

take a look at Avast... personally I still use the older version (4.8) while I wait for the 5.xxx version to get to 5.1 (I don't like first releases). Works pretty good and has a small footprint. It handles things slightly differently than Avira, with shields that stop stuff before it lands on your hard drive, where Avira (If memory serves) stops it when it starts to run. Shields are the tricky part of all anti-virus programs to my mind.

N

Posted by: isch bins
Date: February 12, 2011 07:45PM

kennt jemand noch einen virenscanner, der auf xp ohne service-packs läuft? hab nur einige sicherheitsupdates drauf, aber keine kompletten packs...

hab noch avira version 9,0,0,415 und ne neuere geht ne zu installieren, weil packs fehlen...

oder gibts irgendwo die virenupdates einzeln zum downloaden für meine version?

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 17, 2011 09:23PM

Dumme Frage, warum machste nicht SP2 und SP3 drauf?
Das müllige Sicherheitszentrum kann man glaubich mit XPAntispy entsorgen.

p.s. Soll ich deine Frage übersetzen. Hier kenn ich mich nicht aus.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 18, 2011 09:15PM

"isch bins" would like to know whether any of You here knows a virus program that does not have XP SPs as prerequisite. He does not want to clutter his XP with 400+X MB of surplus installs.

Technically installing the security relevant updates is sufficient.
Except that programs that sniff for SPs see this differently & waun't install. sad smiley

p.s. SP2 includes SP1. SP2 enthält SP1.

SP2 is the prerequisite for SP3. SP2 ist die Voraussetzung für SP3.

IMHO You can deactivate the clutter that come with the updates e.g. the security center.

Studies have shown that posting in your favorite open source project's forums,
along with a healthy diet, reduces your potential for chronic lameness and boredom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2011 09:29PM by guenter.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: February 19, 2011 01:43AM

guenter

"isch bins" would like to know whether any of You here knows a virus program that does not have XP SPs as prerequisite. He does not want to clutter his XP with 400+X MB of surplus installs.

Technically installing the security relevant updates is sufficient.
Except that programs that sniff for SPs see this differently & waun't install. sad smiley

p.s. SP2 includes SP1. SP2 enthält SP1.

SP2 is the prerequisite for SP3. SP2 ist die Voraussetzung für SP3.

IMHO You can deactivate the clutter that come with the updates e.g. the security center.

Studies have shown that posting in your favorite open source project's forums,
along with a healthy diet, reduces your potential for chronic lameness and boredom.

Guenter,

Personally I would NOT run XP PRO without installing the service packs. Perhaps Clamwin might run without them, but I'm not sure and have no way to test myself.

If clutter and bloat is an issue, perhaps trying out Windows 98Se and Kernelex as a substitute or a dual-boot would suffice.

N

Posted by: nadia rahmalita
Date: October 08, 2013 03:13PM

spanky
Avira version 10. Tried 3 times for 3 hours using dialup but always get message about an 'error when downloading'. Now looking at other free antivirus programs for use, AVG, Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials. No complaints with Avira except for the downloading on dialup.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.